Report: Shaq applies for LTC

well, what the heck qualifies as difficult? Is it something like you have to be a celebrity to get it or the police chief just spins a bottle so there is 1:100 chance to get it? I bet it's not completely random, so what are the factors that determine the success of the application?
That all depends upon the police chief. In some towns, it may be a function of who you know. Or perhaps you have to demonstrate that you have a cash business and make cash deposits. Or that you have documentation of threats.

Given his celebrity, and all that goes with that (e.g., stalker nutcases), I would expect that Shaq could have gotten an unrestricted LTC in most towns.

That all depends upon the police chief. In some towns, it may be a function of who you know. Or perhaps you have to demonstrate that you have a cash business and make cash deposits. Or that you have documentation of threats.

Given his celebrity, and all that goes with that (e.g., stalker nutcases), I would expect that Shaq could have gotten an unrestricted LTC in most towns.

Another issue that can come into play is a goal to "keep the numbers down" - with the central question about the restrictions or lack thereof for a qualified applicant being "Is this person's circumstances sufficiently unique that I can say YES to him/her without saying yes to anyone else who simply asserts the same reasons for an unrestricted LTC?".

He can be a Deputy Sheriff in Middlesex County too, just write the check to the Committee to Elect Peter Koutoujian. 50 dollars was the old rate, I don't know if the price has gone up.

http://www.middlesexdeputysheriff.com/web/

Do some reading- he took the training, pased the exam, wore the uniform, and put in regualr duty hours as he was able. He wan't a straw deputy based on some political contribution. he was even written up in the papers for a couple of arrests he made in South Beach. I don't think I'd want someone his size running after me, armed or not.

I didn't mean to discount his service to Miami-Dade county, just wanted to point out that it is easy to get a badge in MA.

He can be a Deputy Sheriff in Middlesex County too, just write the check to the Committee to Elect Peter Koutoujian. 50 dollars was the old rate, I don't know if the price has gone up.

http://www.middlesexdeputysheriff.com/web/

I don't know if he was a REAL Deputy in MIA (i.e. attended an academy, got POST certified, etc.) or if it was an honorarium, but if you think that any MA chief will be hoodwinked by the "buy a Special Deputy Sheriff status" in <insert MA county here> as a REAL Deputy, you've been sniffing that funky stuff.

ETA: Above someone claims he was real in MIA, so that might help in MA. HOWEVER, his star status will count for much more to most MA chiefs than his service in MIA.

Last edited:
yeah, he went through the training. I had a passing interest in his activities, just because, well, it seemed he took them seriously and really cared about what he was up to as LE.

But you're right- this is MA, where connections and publicity (and of course, money) outweigh any real contributions to society...

Anyone remember the "I am the NRA" ads, where a celebrity would put their picture in a magazine, with "I am the NRA" on it? How about "I am GOAL"?

I bet Matt Light would do this also. Once they do it, I bet others would join in.

You don't need an LTC or FID to enter a gun store, but you need one or the other to handle a firearm (LTC for handguns).

Strictly a "store rule", not MGL in itself.

BUT if you look at the exception for unlicensed people in MGLs it states that anyone (non PP) can handle/shoot/etc. a gun when UNDER SUPERVISION of a licensed person. So, if the dealer hands you a gun and walks away to serve another customer, LE could make the claim that an unlicensed person is no longer being SUPERVISED and cause trouble.

Therefore, I can understand why most dealers follow this "store rule", it avoids legal trouble in a state that looks for such things to jam up the dealer and citizen alike.

Back
Top Bottom