• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nassau County, N.Y. looking for LTC citizens to fill provisional special deputy sheriff positions.

Maxrobot

NES Member
A Long Island [NY] county official is putting out a call to all licensed gun owners, looking to deputize armed residents and allowing them to respond during emergencies.
It was an advertisement in Newsday earlier in March that prompted questions, stating that Nassau County was looking for citizens to fill provisional special deputy sheriff positions. County Executive Bruce Blakeman said that the deputy sheriffs wouldn't have any authority unless a state of emergency has been declared. He said he is looking to build an army, or reinforcements, of sheriffs deputies that can only work during states of emergency – like Superstorm Sandy.
Cue the exhorations from Democrats about "The Wild West."

What the county SHOULD be doing is conducting gun safety classes and encouraging ALL county residents to get their own guns so they can deal with their own emergencies on the spot.

ELIMINATE THE VICTIM MENTALLITY.

This is an interesting step in the RIGHT direction. Kinda like the volunteer fire department I was briefly part of.

Wild West? Not sure you Yankees understand how it worked. Hell, I was born and raised in the Wild West, much of that time living in small towns with volunteer fire departments and one cop. Was a part-time cop in one of those small towns. We didn't have a formal "posse" but when that goofy bastard with the handgun decided to go nuts on Main Street, it was nice having Fred, Will, and J.D. as "witnesses". (They were always armed.) In fact, it was when everybody heard Fred rack his shotgun that Goofy had a change of heart. Hahahaha!

Now that I think about it, it was the same goofy bastard who made the rash decision to fight me one night. I carried a blackjack in my front pocket. It was properly deployed by inserting my thumb into the leather loop, then doing this impressive maneuver that kept the loop around my thumb while flamboyantly spinning the blackjack into my hand. It was sufficiently intimidating that Goofy decided to be my friend instead of fighting me. Dork.

Exactly!!! Talk about unmitigated Chutzpah!!!

I'll be right here protecting my own property.

No, they SHOULD sign up for it. Then, when the emergency occurs, they can protect their home and family under qualified immunity. Forget about everyone else. Police have no duty to protect other people, right?

No, they SHOULD sign up for it. Then, when the emergency occurs, they can protect their home and family under qualified immunity. Forget about everyone else. Police have no duty to protect other people, right?
The New York City Council voted Thursday to end qualified immunity for police officers. The decades-old protection has prevented officers from being sued or liable for misconduct. March 26, 2021 / 11:25 AM EDT / CBS New York

Rest assured, Nasau County (even though it's not considered part of NYC) won't extend QI to anyone "they feel" has overstepped their legal authority.

People will be on their own. Best policy will be SSS.

Last edited:
I had a feeling this might happen when I found out they dropped the maximum age for the civil service exam

I had a feeling this might happen when I found out they dropped the maximum age for the civil service exam
They most likely dropped the max age requirement out of fear of being successfully sued for age discrimination more than anything else.

There's plenty of jobs that can be done by people who have attained an age beyond what their age limits were.

Hell, some places are legislating that illegals can become police officers. The world is upside down.

The New York City Council voted Thursday to end qualified immunity for police officers. The decades-old protection has prevented officers from being sued or liable for misconduct. March 26, 2021 / 11:25 AM EDT / CBS New York

Rest assured, Nasau County (even though it's not considered part of NYC) won't extend QI to anyone "they feel" has overstepped their legal authority.

I think it was “reformed” individual officers will still not be on the hook personally for civil damages. If they were there would be zero cops in nyc.

I think it was “reformed” individual officers will still not be on the hook personally for civil damages. If they were there would be zero cops in nyc.
Have you seen the resignation rates of NYPD officers in the past couple of years?

The only retards still applying for the job are those who shouldn't be anywhere near a badge and gun. This was the left's plan all along.
Make the job so insufferable that all the good guys leave and fill the ranks with imbeciles and tyrants.

Wow, I’m proud of the county for rescinding QI.

They most likely dropped the max age requirement out of fear of being successfully sued for age discrimination more than anything else.

There's plenty of jobs that can be done by people who have attained an age beyond what their age limits were.

Hell, some places are legislating that illegals can become police officers. The world is upside down.
Maybe… I do know just about every department Around there is looking for help and is severely understaffed

I found out by responding to a help wanted ad for a local dept,

Maybe… I do know just about every department Around there is looking for help and is severely understaffed

I found out by responding to a help wanted ad for a local dept,

I heard the PT test for the sheriff’s in MA includes doing 19 pushups, but women can do them on their knees. And they only have to “run” 300 meters. Maybe their standards were always crap and it has nothing to do with needing people.

I heard the PT test for the sheriff’s in MA includes doing 19 pushups, but women can do them on their knees. And they only have to “run” 300 meters. Maybe their standards were always crap and it has nothing to do with needing people.
If they are interested in me there’s a problem……
I chose not to pursue as I don’t plan on staying here for 25 years

Have you seen the resignation rates of NYPD officers in the past couple of years?

The only retards still applying for the job are those who shouldn't be anywhere near a badge and gun. This was the left's plan all along.
Make the job so insufferable that all the good guys leave and fill the ranks with imbeciles and tyrants.
Yup.

Make the job so insufferable that all the good guys leave and fill the ranks with imbeciles and tyrants AND ILLEGALS
FIFY

I believe that it's Nassau County where the DA refused permission for the Assistant District Attorneys to carry firearms. Both of those counties are as, if not, more anti 2A than NYC itself.

The western end of Nassau borders NYC itself and the last time I was there was pretty much indistinguishable. Suffolk is more rural, but I recall that they were as anti 2A.

Back
Top Bottom