Reloading components..

Ok,
How does one have to store his/her reloading components? Does the law say bullets, primers, and powder have to be locked up?

Thanks
Adam

Adam_MA said:
Ok,
How does one have to store his/her reloading components? Does the law say bullets, primers, and powder have to be locked up?

Thanks
Adam
I'de say if the purchase is regulated by FID/LTC, storage would need to be secure.

And they're exposed explosives. Would you want them anywhere else but a safe?

Republic of Mass said:
Adam_MA said:
Ok,

Thanks
Adam
I'de say if the purchase is regulated by FID/LTC, storage would need to be secure.

No, MGL Chapter 140, including LTC and FID laws, do not require ammo or components to be locked up.

Cross-X said:
Republic of Mass said:
Adam_MA said:
Ok,

Thanks
Adam

No, MGL Chapter 140, including LTC and FID laws, do not require ammo or components to be locked up.

Darius, take a look at the CMR I noted above. Both my fire chief and myself were rather surprised by the "lock up ammo" requirements. We also both agree that it has nothing to do with fire safety! Someone from HCI (perhaps Rosenthal) likely got the ear of the State Fire Marshall and got this requirement inserted into the CMRs . . . don't know when it happened, just that it is there.

Enforcement is by the Fire Chief, not the PD. Only real potential for trouble is that your insurance company could deny payment in a loss due to "non compliance with the fire code" if they want to get sticky about it.

Len, I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about the CMRs, I was just responding to the questiion posed to the list and advising that Chapter 140 has no requirements for locking up ammo or components.

Darius,

Only problem is that we'll confuse folks. Most of us ONLY think of Ch. 140 when we look for what the laws/rules are that we have to live with . . . we never think to look at the CMRs.

I only found it accidentally when I was looking up what the max ammo storage limits were with a powder/ammo permit from the FD. I was rather shocked to find this info. Since my fire chief is a good guy (and knows that ammo burning poses no hazard to his men), I went over the info in detail and also arranged for him to speak at an Ames R&P membership meeting on the storage requirements a few years ago.

Folks, when reading the above CMR, take note of the limitation on the amount of loaded ammo and primers one may have before one needs a Powder Storage Permit.

These permits are easily obtainable at your local fire department, so long as you have permission of the owner of your home, and cost just $10.

Cross-X said:
Len, at the risk of seeming to stir the pot needlessly, have you ever heard of anyone cited for improper storage of ammo, primers, or other ammo components?

No, and since it is enforced by the FD and not the PD, I doubt that anyone has ever been cited anywhere in MA!

As I pointed out though, the real danger is the insurance company pulling the "fine print" and refusing to pay a legit claim due to having too much ammo/powder/primers/etc. and no permit (or exceeding limit of permit). They pay people good money to figure ways to "wiggle" out of financial responsibility to pay claims.

BTW, it was a question asked of us when getting our LTC renewed. Our chief asked if all ammo was locked up separately from guns! I pushed back on him as not required by law and later when I went to get my ammo/powder permit renewed I was rather perplexed to learn that it IS required by the CMR!

Did you ever read the part of Hatcher's Notebook where he burned an entire pallet of ammo, then studied and measured the results?

It was an eye-opener, to say the least.

Almost as interesting as his experiments involving firing a machinegun straight up in the air.

LenS said:
BTW, it was a question asked of us when getting our LTC renewed. Our chief asked if all ammo was locked up separately from guns! I pushed back on him as not required by law and later when I went to get my ammo/powder permit renewed I was rather perplexed to learn that it IS required by the CMR!

Geez, Len, when faced with a loaded question like that, I am surprised you did not simply immediately assure the chief that your ammo was always locked up, and then go and check the law for yourself later.

Cross-X said:
LenS said:

Geez, Len, when faced with a loaded question like that, I am surprised you did not simply immediately assure the chief that your ammo was always locked up, and then go and check the law for yourself later.

Nah, I have a polite way of telling him it was none of his damn business. He even admitted that it "wasn't required by law". It was some months later when I went looking for info to renew my powder/ammo permit that I accidentally stumbled on this CMR. The police chief was on a fishing expedition . . . same guy that wants to know exactly what you own . . . unless you stand him down on the issue. All info you give him goes in the computer forever!

Cross-X said:
Lynne, help us perpetuate the myth -- One Gun, that is all.

Works well in my house!

Your lovely wife never asks "How come it's a different color tonight Darius?" or "But I thought it was bigger."

Um...that last line could also apply to other things, but we won't go there. [lol] [lol]

Lynne said:
Cross-X said:
Lynne, help us perpetuate the myth -- One Gun, that is all.

Works well in my house!

Your lovely wife never asks "How come it's a different color tonight Darius?" or "But I thought it was bigger."

Um...that last line could also apply to other things, but we won't go there. [lol] [lol]

Good thing the one that said this is a Moderator!

Better get back on track before we both get busted!

LenS said:
Mod hat on!

"Now children!!"

[lol]

Would this have helped Len? [lol] (watch it for a minute)

offtopic.gif

Lynne said:

Lynne, you are a very sick individual... no wonder I like you so much!

and just to stay off-topic... you're right; I did like shooting the .44! Just had trouble seeing if the plastic jugs I was aiming at moved through the cloud of gunsmoke!

Ross

Back
Top Bottom