ammo and reloading storage.

Ok so I understand that it all has to be locked up. Inconvenient yet it is logical. Now would a locked closet be considered locked storage? So I can have a total of 10000 loaded rounds but only 1000 non loaded primers?

Ok so I understand that it all has to be locked up. Inconvenient yet it is logical. Now would a locked closet be considered locked storage? So I can have a total of 10000 loaded rounds but only 1000 non loaded primers?

Yes, and Yes without a permit from your local fire chief. Permitting ups the limit on primers, powder, and completed rounds.

I thought it was 10k rounds per structure (iirc) so would a detached garage be an additional structure? A shed is usually a temporary structure (not subject to setbacks or permits), would that mean another 10k?

I call bulls41t.

The law says " . . building or other structure" , it is completely unambiguous. If you have more than one structure on your property you can go to the max on each structure.

Don't look for ambiguity where there is none.

As usual, YMMV, and in this case "mileage" could mean prosecution or denial of an insurance claim.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammostorage.html

- - - Updated - - -

As usual, YMMV, and in this case "mileage" could mean prosecution or denial of an insurance claim.

Not 10.00 rounds but:
(a) Small Arms Ammunition 1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition. 2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition. 3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition...

Nope it is NOW "LESS THAN" those quantities. 10K/1K primers require a FD permit.

I thought it was 10k rounds per structure (iirc) so would a detached garage be an additional structure? A shed is usually a temporary structure (not subject to setbacks or permits), would that mean another 10k?

Nope, per address. I went over this with my prior fire chief (a gun friendly guy) and I have a shed on blocks (no foundation probably 30' from the house). No dice.

True, most likely scenario is denial of an insurance claim. Much less likely that the fire chief will cause you a problem.

And GOAL is behind the eight-ball! CMRs changed on 1/1/15 and quantities allowed and storage requirements changed at that time.

Nope it is NOW "LESS THAN" those quantities. 10K/1K primers require a FD permit.

Nope, per address. I went over this with my prior fire chief (a gun friendly guy) and I have a shed on blocks (no foundation probably 30' from the house). No dice.

True, most likely scenario is denial of an insurance claim. Much less likely that the fire chief will cause you a problem.

And GOAL is behind the eight-ball! CMRs changed on 1/1/15 and quantities allowed and storage requirements changed at that time.

Len,

It looks like your chief was making up as he goes along. A structure is an individual building. Look anywhere in zoning, building or fire codes. Its not an address, its a building.

With that said, its not worth getting into a pissing contest over it.

Don, I only asked the fire chief since people here on NES were trying to see if they could have equal quantities in each building on their property.

Personally my shed is "owned" by the mice and chipmunks (poison hasn't worked) and it's not climate controlled so that I would never ever leave powder, primers or ammo stored there. Others may have heated out-buildings where this might be practical.

Last edited:
To be clear, a shed on blocks is not a permanent building/structure, no permit required. So the chief was sort of correct. But a detached garage with a full foundation, or maybe a shed that fully complies with building codes, including a permit and inspection should be OK as a "structure".

Dont know why such a fuss is made over ammo storage......id be more worried about powder........check this out to see what happens when you set fire to 25,000 rounds of ammo........

http://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c

Even powder isn't a problem if its not stored in something contains the pressure. Thats why it makes me nuts when I hear of people storing ammo or powder inside a safe. They take something that burns relatively harmlessly and make it into something that explodes.

Even powder isn't a problem if its not stored in something contains the pressure. Thats why it makes me nuts when I hear of people storing ammo or powder inside a safe. They take something that burns relatively harmlessly and make it into something that explodes.

+1. Give this man a cigar...simple physics. Wish more people would realize this fact.

To be clear, a shed on blocks is not a permanent building/structure, no permit required. So the chief was sort of correct. But a detached garage with a full foundation, or maybe a shed that fully complies with building codes, including a permit and inspection should be OK as a "structure".

Even if the shed has a foundation, if it is 200 sqft or less it doesn't need a permit (they recently upped the permitless footprint).

In CT, a temporary building can also be built with less setback from a property line provided that it doesn't exceed a certain percent of the length of the line and isn't above a certain height. I'm guessing Mass is similar.

Even if the shed has a foundation, if it is 200 sqft or less it doesn't need a permit (they recently upped the permitless footprint).

I don't recall any change in my town. 60 sq ft is max w/o a permit and since my lot is non-conforming (3/4 acre in a 1 acre zone) it requires ZBA approval. F' that!

Back
Top Bottom