• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammunition storage

HFMR

NES Member
I think I know the answer…but ammo has to be stored in locked containers, either in a home or when transporting it yes?

What are the consequences of being found with improperly stored ammunition?

I thought I saw here it is a violation of Fire code if not locked up but not actually against the law?
Does that mean it wouldn’t affect your LTC? I am still rather new to all of this and just want to make sure I am compliant with every aspect of the law…

I think I know the answer…but ammo has to be stored in locked containers, either in a home or when transporting it yes?

I thought I saw here it is a violation of Fire code if not locked up but not actually against the law?
Does that mean it wouldn’t affect your LTC? I am still rather new to all of this and just want to make sure I am compliant with every aspect of the law…
There is no law that requires ammunition to be locked up, either when being transported or stored. There is apparently a fire code regulation that requires it to be locked up. Any penalty for violating the fire code would be a civil penalty not a criminal penalty.

Last edited:
There's also a Fire Law on quantity per dwelling per type. Shotshell, Center Fire & Rim Fire. There's also a Fire Law on quanity of Powder. If you want to exceed the quantities you have to get a permit from your local Fire Department. I've forgotten the particulars but it something like 10,000 Rim, 10,000 Center and 5,000 Shotshell. I think there's a link on the GOAL website.

I'm not a lawyer, but when the cops seized my shit the magistrate was trying his best to make it sound like unsecured ammo was a problem, but during my show cause @nstassel made it clear that it's not a problem and the guy dropped it. Considering they were trying to bone me I'm sure they would have f***ed me over for it if they could, but they only tried to nab me for improper storage of my AR

There's also a Fire Law on quantity per dwelling per type. Shotshell, Center Fire & Rim Fire. There's also a Fire Law on quanity of Powder. If you want to exceed the quantities you have to get a permit from your local Fire Department. I've forgotten the particulars but it something like 10,000 Rim, 10,000 Center and 5,000 Shotshell. I think there's a link on the GOAL website.
So the 80,000 rounds or so I had when in Mass was a problem? Huh.. who would've thunk? Damn.

Man I miss that place.

If you know how much ammo you own, you probably don't own enough. [rockon]

I'm packing up the stuff from my storage unit for the first trip home, (it's going to take two trips).

On this first trip, I'm taking home an estimated 400 lbs of ammo. (12) 30cal ammo cans of my reloads, plus 10 shelves of factory ammo. Not quite sure where in my garage I'm going to store it - but that's a post for "first world problems" thread.

I'm leaving the 12GA rounds here, they went to my club; they're just too bulky - and I shoot mostly 20GA at home.

There is no law that requires ammunition to be locked up, either when being transported or stored. There is apparently a fire code regulation that requires it to be locked up. Any penalty for violating the fire code would be a civil penalty not a criminal penalty.
This is the CMR https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/11/527cmr1.pdf

“shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.”

Ok…if found in violation of a fire code in Mass I believe the first offense is a $100 fine…just curious if it becomes a red flag and affects a person’s LTC?
Thanks to Bruen, that’s not really much of a concern. Any grounds for suspension, revocation or denial of an LTC would have to be based on you being a prohibited person or unsuitable.

How did you come to the conclusion that ammo has to be locked up when being transported?

Thanks to Bruen, that’s not really much of a concern. Any grounds for suspension, revocation or denial of an LTC would have to be based on you being a prohibited person or unsuitable.
I bet most courts would say that a chief's finding of unsuitability was justified by storing ammunition in an unsafe manner as defined by the fire code as objectively ridiculous as that seems.

I bet most courts would say that a chief's finding of unsuitability was justified by storing ammunition in an unsafe manner as defined by the fire code as objectively ridiculous as that seems.
See that’s what I am curious about. If this ever was an issue that a person was found to have stored ammo in an unsecured fashion would they use it as an excuse to take your LTC…and with all things Mass it seems there is no clear cut answer.

Back
Top Bottom