Vehicle storage laws

DarkJoker33

NES Member
So this question has been butning in my head.
Im pretty aure i know the basics of it.

Firearm locked in safe and affixed to vehicle via cable or hard mount.

Ammo on seperate container locked gun firearm not loaded?

But what about a more permanent solution.

Something like the range rover holland and holland edition.

c182ceefd6007e5ddca622a2e38b5fb3.jpg

Holland-Holland-Range-Rover.jpg

Now mine wouldnt be crafted by a master artisan leather worker or carpenter.
But the idea is there.

I know something like the grey man tactical boards wont work, due to the ease of removability. Unless properly mounted and secured.
SHOP RMPX SERIES™

Overall though, im curious of the whole idea as a long term storage type of thing.

Eapecially the ammo part and loaded firearm part.
Loaded or unloaded?
Ammo in seperate locked container?
But can it be in a locked container within another locked container? (Box in a box, both have individual locks)

Flame away.
I kinda expect the are you a doomsday prepper on the side?
Type of things

Thanks in advance
Colin

First, in Mass, a non-large capacity long gun is not a "firearm."

For storage, NOT transport, a trigger lock is sufficient.

For Transport, it only needs to be unloaded.

Your proposed setup is well beyond these benchmarks

If you mean a handgun,or large-cap, keep it unloaded in a locked container. Meets the requirements

First, in Mass, a non-large capacity long gun is not a "firearm."

For storage, NOT transport, a trigger lock is sufficient.

For Transport, it only needs to be unloaded.

Your proposed setup is well beyond these benchmarks

If you mean a handgun,or large-cap, keep it unloaded in a locked container. Meets the requirements
I agree 90%.

An unloaded handgun has no transport restrictions. No need for a locked container.
Unless you stop and get out of the car, then its storage. But you clearly understand that.

It’s funny they refer to a gun being unloaded in a locked box or in the trunk as “carrying”
Agreed. Is carrying different than storing? With the OP's very secure lock box, it would be dumb, but would it be legal to leave the car parked in a train station parking garage for 3 days? This assumes the garage has no prohibitions against gunz.

Agreed. Is carrying different than storing? With the OP's very secure lock box, it would be dumb, but would it be legal to leave the car parked in a train station parking garage for 3 days? This assumes the garage has no prohibitions against gunz.
And assuming that said location hasn't had a rash of car break-ins recently as well.

I probably wouldnt leave them unattended like that for that amount of time.
Its more of an everyday thing.
Im not going to unload them from the car daily.

They will be there for the chance of in case shit happens and im in that area stuck.
No AR.
Pistol and mags
Pcc and mags
Shotgun
Backpack with needed items
And assuming that said location hasn't had a rash of car break-ins recently as well.
I would like to think, that i would design it sturdily enough for the everyday basic bitch criminal to not be able to break into it.
I tend to over engineer things
And it will break down just like the guns.
?

I probably wouldnt leave them unattended like that for that amount of time.
Its more of an everyday thing.
Im not going to unload them from the car daily.

They will be there for the chance of in case shit happens and im in that area stuck.
What scenario do you envision where you'd need to go get a long gun from your trunk?

What scenario do you envision where you'd need to go get a long gun from your trunk?

I mean, a "truck gun" has been "a thing" for decades. There were reasons for pickup trucks to have long gun racks 50-70 years ago, so with the ongoing mostly peaceful protests of the last few years, and the death cultist attacks of the last few decades, aren't there just more reasons? Sucks he has to hide it away in a vault but... times change.

I mean, a "truck gun" has been "a thing" for decades. There were reasons for pickup trucks to have long gun racks 50-70 years ago, so with the ongoing mostly peaceful protests of the last few years, and the death cultist attacks of the last few decades, aren't there just more reasons? Sucks he has to hide it away in a vault but... times change.
The ol' truck gun was usually a hunting rifle/shotgun. Outside of that, what purpose does a trunk gun have? Are you envisioning running out to the car during a mass shooting and then running back to danger? Do you think you'll use it against a bunch of hippies with locked arms blocking the highway? I'm honestly struggling to come up with any scenario where a rifle in the trunk would be useful, so help me out here.

The ol' truck gun was usually a hunting rifle/shotgun. Outside of that, what purpose does a trunk gun have? Are you envisioning running out to the car during a mass shooting and then running back to danger? Do you think you'll use it against a bunch of hippies with locked arms blocking the highway? I'm honestly struggling to come up with any scenario where a rifle in the trunk would be useful, so help me out here.
Boy scouts motto of be prepared.
The same question could be asked, why do you conceal carry?
In case shit happens.

Boy scouts motto of be prepared.
The same question could be asked, why do you conceal carry?
In case shit happens.
I can come up with dozens of scenarios where a concealed carry handgun could be used. Can you think of any for a long gun in the trunk?

I'm not telling you not to do it. It's just that I've looked into it before and couldn't find a reason for it.

Kalash, you sound in this note like a FUDD. He doesn't need a reason.

I can come up with dozens of scenarios where a concealed carry handgun could be used. Can you think of any for a long gun in the trunk?

I'm not telling you not to do it. It's just that I've looked into it before and couldn't find a reason for it.
Thats exactly it.
Im not looking for a scenario that ill need it.

But if a scenario finds me and the solution requires a shotgun or pcc, ill have it.
Plain and simple.

Thats exactly it.
Im not looking for a scenario that ill need it.

But if a scenario finds me and the solution requires a shotgun or pcc, ill have it.
Plain and simple.
If your reason is "just because" that's fine, I get that.

Kalash, you sound in this note like a FUDD. He doesn't need a reason.
I'm definitely a FUDD. No one needs a gun with them at all. Double-barrel shotguns and derringers are the only acceptable guns but only if one barrel is loaded at a time.

The DPRM "safe storage" laws were intended to prevent unauthorized use, not theft. That's why it's lawful to have a trigger-locked gun laying on your dining room table. Not that it's a bad idea, just not unlawful.

Nothing to prevent theft. Of course, many "safes" don't prevent theft, either, if Rob Larson has some tools.

Maybe something like this

I know about those.
It was the first thing i looked into.
My max width is 38 if i recall correctly.
With what i have in mind, the 1st size is to small and the next one wont fit in the area.

Some folks have more belief that they may need a "get home gun". While I'm not one of those people for the most part.....I can see where some would feel better being prepared

Back
Top Bottom