Reason for a snub nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for carry, I go with the shrouded hammer or internal hammer DAO snub nose. Nothing to get caught, especially if carrying inside the pocket. No failure to fire, load, eject, extract and so forth.
A couple of other posts said stay away from Liteweight 357 models. I would agree.
You will be able to easily hit a 12" circle target at 10 to 20 yds consistently with this gun. Thats good enough to hit an attacker.

For civilian self defense ,compared to a semi, the revolver is supposed to be visually more intimidating as viewed from the business end; reputedly more 'jury friendly' if one ever has to do more than show the weapon to an assailant, carries at least twice the amount of ammo one will ever need for the -average- self defense scenario and is deadly accurate at what would most probably be the distance involved.

If a revolver isn't enough a semi will not be enough.

Well adjusted people carry a Ruger lcr snub in either .22 wmr or 9mm; if you like semis than that is fine if you 'need' a semi you really NEED a mental health care professional.

Question: you are in a life and death situation, in front of you are two very obviously neglected handguns-one is a revolver and one is a semi, barrels are pointed towards you and you must choose immediately-which one and why?

For civilian self defense ,compared to a semi, the revolver is supposed to be visually more intimidating as viewed from the business end; reputedly more 'jury friendly' if one ever has to do more than show the weapon to an assailant, carries at least twice the amount of ammo one will ever need for the -average- self defense scenario and is deadly accurate at what would most probably be the distance involved.

Well adjusted people carry a Ruger lcr snub in either .22 wmr or 9mm; if you like semis than that is fine if you 'need' a semi you really NEED a mental health care professional.

Question: you are in a life and death situation, in front of you are two very obviously neglected handguns-one is a revolver and one is a semi, barrels are pointed towards you and you must choose immediately-which one and why?
OP, please ignore this post. I don't even know where to begin dissecting it. Rubbish!

No one wants to answer the question?

1f20dd83506611183ea20df32645ff3a.jpg

So I was thinking about getting a revolver and was looking at a few models.
Noticed how the snub nosed guns were cheaper.
Is there any reason to get a snub nose aside from price or should i go with a longer barrel?

If you want it for protection I would look at something else just for round count. Most of the smaller revolvers with the exception of the ones that are some form of 22 only hold 5 or 6 rounds. If, god forbid, you ever need to use it even the smallest pocket guns carry more rounds. In general it is going to be easier to swap a mag than to try to get a revolver reloaded in a high stress situation, even with a speed loader.

I own a S&W 36 and it is fun to shoot on occasion but it is a 10 foot gun. Sights are poor to non existent and it kicks pretty good.
If you are looking for something for the range find something with a 4-6" barrel.

No one wants to answer the question?
NSFW

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry guys, just realized the winky face never made it in...but I really do believe that for 'us' a wheel gun is all you will need, mostly, but as I implied carry an auto if you like them. I do appreciate the design and workmanship of a semi, like to look at Harleys too- just not for me.

Since I'm procrastinating at work anyways, might as well dig into this a little bit:
For civilian self defense ,compared to a semi, the revolver is supposed to be visually more intimidating as viewed from the business end [This is as ridiculous as claiming that the sound of a shotgun being pumped will scare someone away, or the 1911 fanboys that are all about the "big hole" scaring someone. GMAFB]; reputedly more 'jury friendly' if one ever has to do more than show the weapon to an assailant[Maybe. Still not enough to counterbalance the revolver's many disadvantages.], carries at least twice the amount of ammo one will ever need for the -average- self defense scenario [If I was relying on averages, I wouldn't carry a gun at all. As someone posted here once, it's not about the odds - it's about the stakes. Also, "average" implies that half the time you'll need more. Have fun with your five-shot when facing 2-3 guys and the rimfire ammo you suggest fails to fire once or twice. Why in the world would you choose to have less ammo??]and is deadly accurate at what would most probably be the distance involved.[The accuracy of the gun matters far, far less than the accuracy of the shooter.]

If a revolver isn't enough a semi will not be enough. [This makes no sense. Are you talking about maximum rounds, while ignoring the fact that there are 8-shot revolvers and 6-shot semis?]

Well adjusted people carry a Ruger lcr snub in either .22 wmr or 9mm [Why would you want to deal with unreliable rimfire ammo moonclips??? .38 or .357 hands down.]; if you like semis than that is fine if you 'need' a semi you really NEED a mental health care professional. [I'm not planning on "needing" a gun at all. If I was, I'd simply avoid whatever situation I'd be afraid of. Again, no one has ever come out of a gun fight wishing they had brought less ammo]

Question: you are in a life and death situation, in front of you are two very obviously neglected handguns-one is a revolver and one is a semi, barrels are pointed towards you and you must choose immediately-which one and why?[See above post.]
I carry a Ruger LCR five days a week. I much prefer carrying my Glock but, unfortunately, I can't get away with that in business casual at work, so I go with the snubnose instead - despite it's limitations, pocket carry is all I can really get away with. The reason I don't pocket carry a semi-auto is because I can't stand the tiny controls that come on tiny guns. Pocket carry in general has some benefits but that's for another discussion.

Hopefully that answers your question. [grin]

Why is the barrel pointed at me? That doesn't sound safe. I'd take the semi as it's less like to fire at me in that condition/situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom