• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on transferring a sbr

what makes MA view SBR’s as pistols?
The definition is found in MGL 140§121: Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121

“Firearm”, a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Because an MCX SBR costs like $1,000 less than an MCX rifle and new barrel and new hand guard.
I converted a preban Bushmaster lower into an MCX SBR. f*** you, Maura. NOT AN AR or copy of an enumerated weapon, BITCH.

Attachments

• 25209FB7-AE60-47E5-B4BD-B84FF3F54E74.jpeg
    25209FB7-AE60-47E5-B4BD-B84FF3F54E74.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Why would anyone in MA buy an SBR and transfer on a form 4 (good luck), and wait like 9 months (eform4s are coming back around 270 days)? Why not just form1 and build it? eForm1 approvals are coming back in 30-50 days.
I understand you have f***ed up rules in Mass. I do a lot of eForm 1 SBRs but I appreciate a pure eForm 4 SBR too, I’m triggered by engraving 🤷🏼‍♂️

I understand you have f***ed up rules in Mass. I do a lot of eForm 1 SBRs but I appreciate a pure eForm 4 SBR too, I’m triggered by engraving 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not in MA anymore but I hear you. Id rather engrave the inner lip of a magwell or a barrel than wait 270+ days. I’m not a patient man.

Not in MA anymore but I hear you. Id rather engrave the inner lip of a magwell or a barrel than wait 270+ days. I’m not a patient man.
I always forget people engrave their barrels…
I don’t think it makes sense for a lot of platforms though. Receiver the way to go. At least in my situation.

buy the pistol version and file a form 1 for the SBR , that's what most do
Correct. There ARE ffls that will sell you a MCX or MPX pistol on MA. Just got to refrain from making it a firearm until your form1 comes back

I always forget people engrave their barrels…
I don’t think it makes sense for a lot of platforms though. Receiver the way to go. At least in my situation.
My scorpion sbrs are all engraved on their barrels

Why would you register a lower?
When I typed lower I meant it as part of a completed firearm/rifle - a complete receiver with FCG and complete upper added - hence the efa10. Should have differentiated that.

Now, if you're Four Seasons in Woburn, you efa10 every transfered stripped lower that comes in as a pistol [laugh]

Last edited:
When I typed lower I meant it as part of a completed firearm/rifle - a complete receiver with FCG and complete upper added - hence the efa10. Should have differentiated that.
After the FRB doxxed everyone, I’d never register another rifle I built from a lower. There is no MA law that states you must register a firearm you built. If there is, show it to me.

There is no MA law that states you must register a firearm you built. If there is, show it to me.
Convincing a MA jury of your peers that building a rifle doesn’t mean you “obtained” it. Good luck with that. Better hope all 12 are from NES 😂

This is epic even for NES. I've never seen more bad advice in one thread before! Much from those who have never even those a form 1 or form 4. All packed in just 4 pages too

I converted a preban Bushmaster lower into an MCX SBR. f*** you, Maura. NOT AN AR or copy of an enumerated weapon, BITCH.
Actually, if you go by her interpretation, which you are referencing by saying "it is not a copy", your gun still fails the test.

Her test is, if it can accept any parts, including trigger, it is a copy.

Actually, if you go by her interpretation, which you are referencing by saying "it is not a copy", your gun still fails the test.

People are still taking that AG stuff seriously?

I assume you are just saying this to maintain the thread and not seriously concerned that the AG edict from 2016 holds any legal credibility

The definition is found in MGL 140§121: Mass. General Laws c.140 § 121

“Firearm”, a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.
This is the grey area,no??…if a pistol then I’m ok with not following AWB??

At least dealers are. There’s slides in the new training deck provided to police departments that describe the edict, what to look for, and says it’s a violation. Slides are on the GOAL website.

At least dealers are. There’s slides in the new training deck provided to police departments that describe the edict, what to look for, and says it’s a violation. Slides are on the GOAL website.
I look forward to Gidden's comments on that deck...

Correct. There ARE ffls that will sell you a MCX or MPX pistol on MA. Just got to refrain from making it a firearm until your form1 comes back
A pistol is a firearm under MGL. You probably meant "refrain from making it an SBR until your form 1 comes back and you have had the roper ATF compliant engraving done to the weapon".

A pistol is a firearm under MGL. You probably meant "refrain from making it an SBR until your form 1 comes back and you have had the roper ATF compliant engraving done to the weapon".
I think what he really meant was an 07 FFL in MA will break down an MCX pistol into a frame or an other and sell it to you, that keeps you AW compliant with the pistol, when your form 1 comes back you can manufacture an SBR from that other/frame/receiver and leftover parts from pistol

Is this the one with with a max weight? Very confusing. I thought that if I start putting evil features on a pistol, it’s an AOW?
It is, but not all MA evil features make it an AOW. Really none of them do. The only one I can tell (as someone who isn’t well versed in the NFA) is: “(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer”. Vertical foregrip on a pistol = AOW.

Weight, threaded barrels, handguards, where the magazine attaches don’t make a pistol an AOW.

You always need to comply with federal and state law. NFA always all the time. MA AWB for anything post-94 or unless you have a MA dealer license (federal FFL of any type does not exempt you).

Now that she is gov'nah she may take that to the next step - would be an interesting gambit she directs the new AG to start enforcing her edict

He is using a pre-94 lower as host

Back
Top Bottom