• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hypothetical question on setting gun price for a used gun

greencobra

NES Member
how would you set a price for selling a nib, 40 year old pistol (approximately) with all literature and accoutrements untouched by human hands since the day the gun was packed. i've seen all kinds of prices online but never for a nib example. is there a percentage formula you could use? say find the average going price for a mint example of the same and add maybe 20%...or whatever. think about it, what would you do? without knowing exactly what it is, i want you to deal with the question at hand. if such a pistol exists, i can say it is desirable and has a cult following. so what do you think people. remember, hypothetical here.

how would you set a price for selling a nib, 40 year old pistol (approximately) with all literature and accoutrements untouched by human hands since the day the gun was packed. i've seen all kinds of prices online but never for a nib example. is there a percentage formula you could use? say find the average going price for a mint example of the same and add maybe 20%...or whatever. think about it, what would you do? without knowing exactly what it is, i want you to deal with the question at hand. if such a pistol exists, i can say it is desirable and has a cult following. so what do you think people. remember, hypothetical here.

Start the bids at a penny on gunbroker. make the buy-it-now price 2.5x what used version in mint condition are going for.

And just tell us what the pistol is for f***'s sake.

Depends. Is it a 40 year old S&W or Colt, or is it a 40 year old Jennings or Taurus or Davis? Old junk is old junk.
If it's only unique quality is that it's unfired and it comes with the box you might get a few dollars more than a similar gun minus the box.
Personally, I don't pay a premium for the box and papers. I'm only interested in the gun. As far as I'm concerned the box is useless clutter unless it's really, really old. Even then, it's just a box.

Last edited:
Well I have piece of string in my pocket. How long is it? Just another impossible question to answer with just about the same amount of info.

There might be a difference between desirability and value. Hypothetically, you understand. If I'm comparing two Whitney Wolverines, both in excellent condition, I doubt I'd pay more for the virgin (value). I'd likely jump on it quicker so it didn't get away (desirability) but not overpay for a maidenhead and petticoats.

(Notwithstanding my currently running post in the Classifieds ballyhooing the virgin status of a 50-year-old revolver. No nibbles, which kind of confirms my theory. Hypothetically.)

Unless you're up against the wall, financially, and HAVE to sell ASAP, do some gunbroker research, and figure out the "average" price. Then, double it.

Slowly discount it, until someone bites, or you decide it's worth more to you, than the next step down.

Unique items can't be "priced" except through a sale, which determines the value.

Look at completed auctions on gunbroker. That will give you an idea. If you own it, it’s not new in box. You can’t prove it. I have many guns that are in great shape for their age. They look never fired, I’d never sell them saying never fired. I can’t prove it.

Not here for starters. Gunbroker.

Back
Top Bottom