• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does Shooters outpost negotiate used gun prices?

45Badger

NES Member
I’ve bought a few used guns from them that were priced right. I never bothered to negotiate or ask for better price.

I’ve seen a couple higher $$ used guns that were. Priced a little ( couple hundred $$) high. Is it worth making an offer? Anyone done this successfully?

... what is the worst that can happen? :)

It is always worth asking for the price you think is fair. A proper business will appreciate your effort (as long as it is not insulting) and will if anything tell you where they stand on the price (ie will flatly say "no" or provide an alternative price or hopefully agree with your offer.

yup, prices all over the place. if you're aware a consignment gun has been on the shelf for a while, it's good to let the guy behind the counter know you've seen it there for a while. sometimes it results in a hefty price drop.
It depends on the shops policy on this I know at Deli ticket Emporium if it's not busy they will call the consignment person to see if they'll take less money if it's a retarded price. Also depending on the paperwork the owner may say something like firm or whatever.

When I worked the gun counters there, the consignment price was the price. I never spoke with an owner of a consignment firearm to see if they'd lower their price.

It’s worth making an offer. Cash talks.

On more than one occasion I’ve been oogling a firearm, yacking about it, and without me prompting they’ve lowered the price 50-100 bucks before we even got down to business. They must want to move the gun, and I’m an easy sale!

Consignment does not mean non-negotiable. Four Seasons will relay an offer on a consignment gun to the consignor if Carl thinks the offer is within reason. Other shops certainly can do this - the question is "will they?".

I've negotiated on used guns at a couple different stores. Especially if paying cash and buying more than one gun. My first milsurp I bought in a store the clerk actually negotiated down because he thought it was priced high and knew I was a milsurp newb

All you need to do on any gun at a shop wether new or used is say "is that your best price"? Big box stores generally won't entertain this at all.....but many small shops will especaily if your offer is in dead presidents......and if they can't drop the price should politely respond with "yes that's my best price". If I ever encountered a shop that got all pissy over a polite haggle I would just never go back. I've yet to encounter a pissy shop when haggling.

Some places would rather pass on a profitable deal than get a reputation for negotiating.
At some juncture though the rubber meets the road and you got to make what you got to make on the item although I do have to laugh when you see things like those gun show vendors that carry the same over priced magazine around for like 2 years. 🤣 theres definitely is no negotiation with vendors that don't understand shelf rot and the fact that the capital is tied up.

Indeed, consignment owners may have a set price and Shooters will want their 18% as well.
Sometimes I feel the price they are setting is too high. I'll tell them I'd rather have them start lower. If I'm consigning it there, I want it gone, since I've already played the classifieds game
yup, prices all over the place. if you're aware a consignment gun has been on the shelf for a while, it's good to let the guy behind the counter know you've seen it there for a while. sometimes it results in a hefty price drop.
I let them know if it's not gone in a while to lower it.

I do have to laugh when you see things like those gun show vendors that carry the same over priced magazine around for like 2 years. 🤣 theres definitely is no negotiation with vendors that don't understand shelf rot and the fact that the capital is tied up.
You'd see that year in and year out on the gunshow circuit. These guys just didn't understand cash flow. If it's sitting around making you nothing, sell it for what you have in it or a little more. Then, do better research and buy something in demand with a better margin.

Stopped in today. It’s a very clean but very used Beretta 686 sporting with 32” barrels. The action lever is slightly to the right of center and it’s pretty loose opening and closing. They want $2200. I offered $2000 as it will probably cost a couple hundred to have Cole’s or other smith tighten it up.

No deal. The sales person noted the use, but they are unable to call consigner as they would be doing that all day.

I’ll keep an eye on it, but I can buy a new one for less than $2600.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I've only consigned about half a dozen guns, usually the owner asked what the lowest I'd take beforehand. Saves them a call. Had one sell for less than what I said I'd take, but it had been there for a month. Owner offered to make up the difference if I was unhappy about it. I was good with it, and would have probably dropped my asking price anyway.

Funniest negitation. I was with a friend looking to buy a gun at a runshop on Rt 20 in Northboro (since closed)

Buyer: That's $100 more than 4 Seasons; I'll take it if you give me $50 off and meet me halfway
Shopkeep: Nope. Four Seasons is hurting the industry selling at unfairly low markup.
Me: Do you buy you inventory only from wholesalers with margins that are healthy for the industry, or buy from the reliable supplier with the lowest price?
Shopkeep: That's different

Last edited:
I've seen posts here that label you as a "skinflint" if you negotiate. The general advice was to walk away if you don't like the price and let the free market teach the seller a lesson. That is the code amongst larger than life men who carry guns, swagger into bars and chew on cigars.
Depending on /how/ you do it , and /what/ it is, it's definitely a red flag for flinting. 🤣 that said nobody is really going to hold it against you for trying because it only takes like couple seconds to say no, unless we're talking consignments etc.

Back
Top Bottom