• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on transferring a sbr

I have someone looking to sell/trade a sbr. He mentioned something about transferring his tax stamp over to me filling out a form 4. I called my local ffl. He said he does not deal with NFA items. My question is does anyone know of a ffl dealer who does or has anyone done this before and know the process. Also this person seems to think the turn around is 10-14 days. Also does anyone know if I would have to pay the 200 dollars again for transferring the tax stamp to me. Thank you if anyone has any information.

Good luck finding a dealer in MA to transfer an SBR on a form four, yes you would have to Pay the $200. for a new tax stamp. In MA SBR's are considered Pistols and need to meet the current approved firearms roster.

Good luck finding a dealer in MA to transfer an SBR on a form four, yes you would have to Pay the $200. for a new tax stamp. In MA SBR's are considered Pistols and need to meet the current approved firearms roster.
SBRs are considered "firearms" by Mass law, not pistols. Just on the EFA10, there is no option for "firearms" or "other". I have always registered my SBR lowers as a "rifle".

I have someone looking to sell/trade a sbr. He mentioned something about transferring his tax stamp over to me filling out a form 4. I called my local ffl. He said he does not deal with NFA items. My question is does anyone know of a ffl dealer who does or has anyone done this before and know the process. Also this person seems to think the turn around is 10-14 days. Also does anyone know if I would have to pay the 200 dollars again for transferring the tax stamp to me. Thank you if anyone has any information.
An FFL willl not be involved, assuming you are in the same state. You complete a personal sale on a paper form 4 with the seller. Often times in these cases you will pay half and take the upper, the seller must hold the lower until the stamp is approved.

GFA in Natick does. I've never done a form 4. You definitely have to pay the $200 and probably a fee to the FFL to do the transfer. I believe Form 4s turnaround is quite awhile at least with suppressors they are
FFL won't be involved unless the seller is an FFL and can Form 3 it to GFA. The seller could Form 4 it to Greg at GSA and then he could form 4 it to OP but that's retarded.

yup, When filling out an FA10 on an SBR it is logged as a pistol, no other option for barrel length less than 16"
That's where Mass gets you because like I said an SBR in Mass doesn't meet the criteria for either a rifle or pistol. It's a firearm by Mass law. Since you can just toss a 16" upper on an SBR lower and at that point it's considered a Title 1 firearm, I have always fa10 it as a rifle. No way am I gonna register a non pistol AR as a pistol lol

An FFL willl not be involved, assuming you are in the same state. You complete a personal sale on a paper form 4 with the seller. Often times in these cases you will pay half and take the upper, the seller must hold the lower until the stamp is approved.
Thank you. In this case it’s a complete firearm. No lower to take apart not sure if that makes a difference or the seller just holds onto the firearm until it’s approved. Thank you for the input

SBRs are considered "firearms" by Mass law, not pistols. Just on the EFA10, there is no option for "firearms" or "other". I have always registered my SBR lowers as a "rifle".
how can a dealer transfer it to you then if the FA10 need to be filed as a pistol that is not on the approved list.... Ask an knowledgeable FFL on the matter if you want a second opinion.

Thank you. In this case it’s a complete firearm. No lower to take apart not sure if that makes a difference or the seller just holds onto the firearm until it’s approved. Thank you for the input
Yep, the seller just holds it until you are approved. Seems like you have some state issues to deal with based on other comments, good luck.

shockwave shotguns are classified as pistols, IN the state of MA and not on the approved list, so the Ag sent out letters to FFL not to transfer them.... this is all a state issue not a federal definition issue

how can a dealer transfer it to you then if the FA10 need to be filed as a pistol that is not on the approved list.... Ask an knowledgeable FFL on the matter if you want a second opinion.
I know this is a form 4 question but I was referring to a fotm1 SBR that is being entered into FA10. It goes in as a rifle because it’s a rifle.

I know this is a form 4 question but I was referring to a fotm1 SBR that is being entered into FA10. It goes in as a rifle because it’s a rifle.
incorrect, it is not considered a rifle in MA, it could be broken down to a receiver, transferred and a new form 1 filed and re engraved, seriously ask an FFL about it

That's where Mass gets you because like I said an SBR in Mass doesn't meet the criteria for either a rifle or pistol. It's a firearm by Mass law. Since you can just toss a 16" upper on an SBR lower and at that point it's considered a Title 1 firearm, I have always fa10 it as a rifle. No way am I gonna register a non pistol AR as a pistol lol
when you filled out the Fa 10 for your SBR's did you lie about the barrel length?

They are still beholden to the rosters. They are “Approved Firearms” rosters, not approved handgun/pistol rosters.
eFile form 1s were 14-21 days at absolute best in the fastest processing the ATF could manage. Form 4s can take a year. And that’s before the ATF told 40 million people to file for SBR stamps for their braces.

In MA SBR's are considered Pistols and need to meet the current approved firearms roster.

I don't think this is universally true.... I mean in theory it certainly is possible to have a device that the ATF would deem must be registered as an SBR but yet simultaneously if it was inoperative it could not be a firearm under mgl.......

Doesn't matter no transaction has taken place, what we are talking about is if an FFL can transfer it, and how they record that transfer via FA 10. if it is not on the approved firearm roster it is not transferable
What if the gun began as a rifle and was previously fa10’d as a rifle. Are you going to fill out a new fa10 after you get the form1 approved?
if you switch from a 18" barrel to a 21"" would you re FA10? of course not no transaction occurred

Honest Question:

If one takes a complete rifle with a 16” barrel that is entered into FA10 and stamps it with a 7.5 inch upper…does he now have a pistol according to MA?
No, he has a firearm. But no different FA10 is needed.

It is frustrating though, to make an NFA item and having to FA10 it as a pistol… just because the Firearms Records Bureau is too lazy to actually look at Massachusetts codified definitions in MGL.

Ok you guys win. Lol I guess my short barreled rifle needs to be registered as a pistol even though it is not an AR pistol lol. I'll keep fa10ing my SBR lowers as rifles.
if you are building SBR''s from receivers do you think you are even required t register in the first place?? show me that law, does not exist, so no need to lie about the barrel length in the first place

Ok you guys win. Lol I guess my short barreled rifle needs to be registered as a pistol even though it is not an AR pistol lol. I'll keep fa10ing my SBR lowers as rifles.
It is silly. it is neither a pistol nor a rifle according to MA. It’s not our fault that the FA-10 doesn’t appropriately use terms acknowledged by MA MGL.

Back
Top Bottom