• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on transferring a sbr

I don't know what everyone is so worried about,soon the new Governor, and AG will be coming to your homes and taking all your guns.

I will tell you this, In America, they don't create laws giving permission, only restricting. So it is assumed everything is legal unless there is a law stating otherwise. You will not find anything in MGL saying you do not have to register a gun you manufacture. I can say with 100% certainty there is no law saying you do.
Agreed. I just went through mgl 121-131. Unless I missed it, it did not specifically say anything about personal builds. I guess it could fall into the grey area of “when it’s a complete rifle and capable of firing a shot it needs to fa10”. But nothin states that. I would hate to be the guy that gets busted with personal builds not on FA10 in this current crazy ghost gun time we are in.😂

Agreed. I just went through mgl 121-131. Unless I missed it, it did not specifically say anything about personal builds. I guess it could fall into the grey area of “when it’s a complete rifle and capable of firing a shot it needs to fa10”. But nothin states that. I would hate to be the guy that gets busted with personal builds not on FA10 in this current crazy ghost gun time we are in.😂
There are many legal reasons why you may be in possession of a firearm in MA that is not in the database. don't offer any info and there is no reason to get busted.....

Then there is the debate on the statute of limitations..... built it 8 years ago and forgot to do the FA10, was afraid to after 7 days had passed and did not want to incriminate myself, but statute of limitation have expired on prosecution so.........

There are many legal reasons why you may be in possession of a firearm in MA that is not in the database. don't offer any info and there is no reason to get busted.....

Then there is the debate on the statute of limitations..... built it 8 years ago and forgot to do the FA10, was afraid to after 7 days had passed and did not want to incriminate myself, but statute of limitation have expired on prosecution so.........
i just read three pages of nonsense spewing from your comments and still do not understand your stance on this issue .

i was just looking for a general summary on the fa10 sbr stance. i knew cape people were all weirdos, didnt know they were harsh too
Wasn't being harsh. I was making the observation that you must really have something to say. But if you want to take it wrong go for it.

Wasn't being harsh. I was making the observation that you must really have something to say. But if you want to take it wrong go for it.
im just into the sbr world lately , im not a poster just soak in knowledge when i can. always take a shot at cape people in good fun . ive never fa10 an sbr though its news to me

The part you guys are forgetting is that an AR lower does not meet the federal definition of receiver. Until Congress (the house and the senate) passes legislation which is then signed by the president, the definition of frame or receiver in US code still includes “The term “receiver” means the part of a rifle, shotgun, or projectile weapon other than a handgun, or variants thereof, that provides housing or a structure for the primary component designed to block or seal the breech prior to initiation of the firing sequence (i.e., bolt, breechblock, or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are required to connect such component to the housing or structure”. The ATF proposed a rule making change but they don’t have legislative authority. They don’t get to just redefine what is a receiver. Neither does the Attorney General even if the AG approved the definition. The ATF nor the AG have legislative authority. An AR lower is not a frame or receiver because it does not meet the federal definition. Last I checked, MA doesn’t have a definition either and refers to the federal definition. So no, you do not have to FA10 a completed firearm built from a lower just like you don’t have to register a personally manufactured firearm either. Agree with @AMV 100%. Show me where in MA law it says so. I’m not in MA anymore, but if I were, I’d never FA10 a firearm I built from a stripped lower, never mind FA10 a form1ed SBR, certainly not now after the f***s at the FRB dumped all the FA10 data on Mass.gov to doxx all of us/you.

Last edited:
GFA in Natick does. I've never done a form 4. You definitely have to pay the $200 and probably a fee to the FFL to do the transfer. I believe Form 4s turnaround is quite awhile at least with suppressors they are
I read on GFA's website that "Due to recent changes in Massachusetts state law, we can no longer sell or transfer short barrel rifles (SBRs)." Does anyone know what this might be in reference to? And can anyone post here or PM me if they know of a Massachusetts FFL that will transfer an SBR on a Form 4?

I read on GFA's website that "Due to recent changes in Massachusetts state law, we can no longer sell or transfer short barrel rifles (SBRs)." Does anyone know what this might be in reference to? And can anyone post here or PM me if they know of a Massachusetts FFL that will transfer an SBR on a Form 4?
I take it you really didn't read anything in this thread, Post #2

An FFL willl not be involved, assuming you are in the same state. You complete a personal sale on a paper form 4 with the seller. Often times in these cases you will pay half and take the upper, the seller must hold the lower until the stamp is approved.
I wouldn’t recommend taking the upper unless you already have an SBR.. in the case of an AR15 for example.. if you have another lower it is constructive intent for possessing the upper and not an SBR lower… sure you could say for in A.R. 15 pistol, but those are basically nonexistent in Massachusetts

I wouldn’t recommend taking the upper unless you already have an SBR.. in the case of an AR15 for example.. if you have another lower it is constructive intent for possessing the upper and not an SBR lower… sure you could say for in A.R. 15 pistol, but those are basically nonexistent in Massachusetts
Plenty of fixed mag AR pistols in existence in MA, Constructive intent would be a hard thing to get jammed up for, especially with a pending form 1 or 4 on file

Plenty of fixed mag AR pistols in existence in MA, Constructive intent would be a hard thing to get jammed up for, especially with a pending form 1 or 4 on file
I didn’t even think of that

You’re trying to say constructive possession. If you’re getting jammed up for constructive possession you are in much bigger trouble for something else.

Guaranteed if Maura actually cared to troll NES and was reading this thread, she’d be laughing her ass off over the mental gymnastics the state is putting ya’all through.

Why would anyone in MA buy an SBR and transfer on a form 4 (good luck), and wait like 9 months (eform4s are coming back around 270 days)? Why not just form1 and build it? eForm1 approvals are coming back in 30-50 days.

Why would anyone in MA buy an SBR and transfer on a form 4 (good luck), and wait like 9 months (eform4s are coming back around 270 days)? Why not just form1 and build it? eForm1 approvals are coming back in 30-50 days.
Because an MCX SBR costs like $1,000 less than an MCX rifle and new barrel and new hand guard.

Back
Top Bottom