• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on transferring a sbr

They are still beholden to the rosters. They are ā€œApproved Firearmsā€ rosters, not approved handgun/pistol rosters.

eFile form 1s were 14-21 days at absolute best in the fastest processing the ATF could manage. Form 4s can take a year. And thatā€™s before the ATF told 40 million people to file for SBR stamps for their braces.
Thanks and sorry plowing and salting the last 32hrs slipped my mind of the 40million plus people that might try and make sbr. Maybe Iā€™ll hold off lol. Thanks again

if you are building SBR''s from receivers do you think you are even required t register in the first place?? show me that law, does not exist, so no need to lie about the barrel length in the first place
The law says you need to FA10 after ā€œobtainingā€ a gun. Itā€™s up to you if you think that includes manufacturing.

Attorneys Iā€™ve heard (but not paid by me) have said that likely includes manufacturing.

Then again, the state just illegally published the FA-10 records. Seems like a break in trust there.

Thanks and sorry plowing and salting the last 32hrs slipped my mind of the 40million plus people that might try and make sbr. Maybe Iā€™ll hold off lol. Thanks again
I mean, youā€™d probably be at the top of the queue, but even in good times Form 4s can take a year.

The law says you need to FA10 after ā€œobtainingā€ a gun. Itā€™s up to you if you think that includes manufacturing.

Attorneys Iā€™ve heard (but not paid by me) have said that likely includes manufacturing.

Then again, the state just illegally published the FA-10 records. Seems like a break in trust there.

I have first hand experience on the matter. There is no registry in MA, so forget about that part of the portal for now, only records of a transfer, so
who is the seller or donor

I have first hand experience on the matter. There is no registry in MA, so forget about that part of the portal for now, only records of a transfer, so
who is the seller or donor
Thatā€™s fine if thatā€™s your interpretation of ā€œobtain from any sourceā€

Thatā€™s fine if thatā€™s your interpretation of ā€œobtain from any sourceā€
not really my interpretation.

""shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee""

if you are building SBR''s from receivers do you think you are even required t register in the first place?? show me that law, does not exist, so no need to lie about the barrel length in the first place
Huh? No fa10 if built off receiversā€¦if one wants to follow the MA law he should fa10. The grey area is MA canā€™t say what it is once it is an SBR. As far as barrel length, itā€™s 16 inches. Thereā€™s no saying you canā€™t put a 16ā€ upper on an SBR. Follow the AWB and the burden of proof is on the state if they ever want to say one way or another if itā€™s a pistol or a rifle. Once again, Iā€™m talking form 1šŸ‘šŸ»

Have the guy put a 16" upper on the nfa lower and transfer it that way. No law says you can't change barrels on an SBR. It's the lower that the ATF,cares about. When you get approved put the short barrel on it. Have your friend hold both half's.

Have the guy put a 16" upper on the nfa lower and transfer it that way. No law says you can't change barrels on an SBR. It's the lower that the ATF,cares about. When you get approved put the short barrel on it. Have your friend hold both half's.
When the ATF shows up at the door show them the Stamped lower with SBā€¦..when the new AGā€™s goon squad shows up at the door show them your FA10 lower with 16 inch upper. Compliance! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Huh? No fa10 if built off receiversā€¦if one wants to follow the MA law he should fa10. The grey area is MA canā€™t say what it is once it is an SBR. As far as barrel length, itā€™s 16 inches. Thereā€™s no saying you canā€™t put a 16ā€ upper on an SBR. Follow the AWB and the burden of proof is on the state if they ever want to say one way or another if itā€™s a pistol or a rifle. Once again, Iā€™m talking form 1šŸ‘šŸ»
No MA law states YOU have to register something that YOU built from a receiver, that was not transferred to you to in state or purchased out of state. I beg you to show me the law

there are many ways around all of this debacle, But the OP was asking about a form 4 dealer transfer in the state of MA

Sure take barrel off transfer as a other and file a new form 1 with your info engraved

Last edited:
No MA law states YOU have to register something that YOU built from a receiver, that was not transferred to you to in state or purchased out of state I beg you to show me

there are many way around all of this debacle, But the OP was asking about a form 4 dealer transfer in the state of MA

Sure take barrel off transfer as a other and file a new form 1 with your info engraved
Correct. I was not referring to a transfer.

Is barrel length the only reason why you think an SBR is really a pistol in MA?

Lots of innuendo and opaque posts.

Please help:

A friend sells me a AR15 lower. I put the parts in it.

I apply for and get a tax stamp for a SBR.

I buy the upper.

I put the upper on to make a firearm.

Now what???

Correct. I was not referring to a transfer.

Is barrel length the only reason why you think an SBR is really a pistol in MA?

Simply put, MIRCS requires it to be FA10 as a pistol, Pistols are required to meet the approved Firearms roster in order for an FFL to transfer them in state, NO SBR's are on that approved roster, that is the simplest way to regulate the sale of SBR's and shockwave shotguns (also Pistols) in the state of MA. similar to what they did with glocks

Simply put, MIRCS requires it to be FA10 as a pistol, Pistols are required to meet the approved Firearms roster in order for an FFL to transfer them in state, NO SBR's are on that approved roster that is the simplest way to regulate the sale of SBR's And shockwave shotguns (also Pistols) in the state of MA. Same as what they did with glocks
Yes. I agree but forget transfers, Iā€™m talking about a build off of a stripped receiver. When somebody builds that for themselves and stamps it with the ATF, are you saying that SBR has to go into FA10 as a pistol?

good point! but these are the instructions from the state of MA and MIRCS
I was mistakened. EOPS does give instructions to FA10 SBR lowers as pistols. You are correct. Which for me is a weird gray legality issue since AR pistols are an AWB issue here in MA....plus all the recent activity with pistol braces federally and the fact I do not have an AR pistol.

Both of my SBRed lowers are FA10ed as rifles (one was originally FA10ed while as a Title 1 rifle) and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Yes. I agree but forget transfers, Iā€™m talking about a build off of a stripped receiver. When somebody builds that for themselves and stamps it with the ATF, are you saying that SBR has to go into FA10 as a pistol?
I see no part in MA law that says you have to register a build from a receiver at all. NO one can find any either If you choose to register it, and contact MIRCS on how to do it on an SBR they will tell you to do it As a pistol, because rifles have a barrel length greater than 16""

I see no part in MA law that says you have to register a build from a receiver at all. NO one can find any either If you choose to register it, and contact MIRCS on how to do it on an SBR they will tell you to do it As a pistol, because rifles have a barrel length greater than 16""
If this is true I wish I knew this before...I wouldn't have registered any of my stripped lowers builds lol

Not being a dick but are you sure about that? I just glanced it over. When you build anything in MA it has to be FA10ā€™d within 7 days of it going bang. I believe itā€™s a fine for failure to FA10 but not having to do it all because it was built off of a receiver, I canā€™t find anything at all stating thatā€¦.can you site any specifics on that? Just curious. Iā€™ve FA10 all my builds and follow the AWB.

Not being a dick but are you sure about that? I just glanced it over. When you build anything in MA it has to be FA10ā€™d within 7 days of it going bang. I believe itā€™s a fine for failure to FA10 but not having to do it all because it was built off of a receiver, I canā€™t find anything at all stating thatā€¦.can you site any specifics on that? Just curious. Iā€™ve FA10 all my builds and follow the AWB.
Show me where is says this? I am confident you did not find it in MGL

I will check further. This debate is always a good onešŸ‘šŸ»
I will tell you this, In America, they don't create laws giving permission, only restricting. So it is assumed everything is legal unless there is a law stating otherwise. You will not find anything in MGL saying you do not have to register a gun you manufacture. I can say with 100% certainty there is no law saying you do.

Back
Top Bottom