• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Provably pre-ban pistol magazines? (Yes, I know...)

Disclaimers:

1) Yes, I know that if you are dealing with a high cap magazine charge you probably have other problems.
2) Yes, I know that the prosecution would have to prove it wasn't pre-ban.
3) Peace of mind and a happy spouse is worth something in this endeavor.
4) I've done a fair amount of reading on this topic. I'm not asking for the basics, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

So, I want a pistol that takes pre-ban high cap magazines, preferrably provably pre-ban magazines.

I don't want a Glock. I don't like them and the older magazines are failing with plastic cracking. Also not interested in Ruger P series.

I know that OEM MP5 magazines and other HK magazines usually have date codes on them. For pistol mags it seems there is primarily USP mags available? And they seem pretty rare.

As far as I can tell there isn't a way to prove beretta 92 mags are pre ban, unless you have a paper trail or possibly original packaging.

There are ways I've read to prove Sig p226 mags are, but it still seems to be a bit wishy washy, unless you have the paper trail or possibly original packaging. I'm looking into getting some copies of sig catalogs from the time to see if there is something there that could be useful.

Are there other options or ways to prove pre-ban status that I'm not aware of yet?

Is my best bet a sig p226 or beretta 92 with some sort of paper trail?

Thanks!

Why are you letting your spouse care about this?

If you, the LTC holder, don’t understand this topic fully, then why would your spouse be any better suited to understand it?

Not being snarky. I’m just wondering how the heck this comes up in spousal communication, unless both of you have LTCs and one of you is more risk-averse than the other?

Yup. If you brush with LE, a preban mag with a receipt for purchasing it as a 'pre ban' mag from a dealer is helpful. And FYI, there really is no difference between many pre-94 and current production 92/m9 15-rd metal mag body itself.

Anyways, a LE can easily F you over if they wanted to in this state. They can, and often do slap on tons of nonsense charges and see what will stick. Even if your guns and mags are A-OK, you're still going to be out 10s of thousands in legal fees because the state of MA generally does not act in good faith and tries to screw over gun owners as much as possible as a political motive.

TBH they could just as easily toss a baggie of an 'suspicious white powdered substance' in your back seat. So why bother worrying about a demonstrably pre-ban and legal mag?

Last edited:
Because I judge it not worth the risk. And you could have made your point without being a dick.
After dealing with MA LE in relation to firearms, I can totally see why you came to that conclusion.

Yes, most people will never have to deal with it but if you do, oh boy... you'll see why people say MA hates gun owners.
🤣

After dealing with MA LE in relation to firearms, I can totally see why you came to that conclusion.

Yes, most people will never have to deal with it but if you do, oh boy... you'll see why people say MA hates gun owners.
🤣
I think it is hard to quantify the risk. I carry a Glock 19. If I carried standard cap mags I would carry one spare mag for 31 rounds. Instead, I carry two spare mags, for 31 rounds. Would i rather carry standard cap mags? Sure. But I just don't think it is worth the risk.

I respect that others look at the same situation and choose otherwise. I don't belittle them. I don't say "you're going to jail, man!". They have just decided differently than me and that's OK.

I think it is hard to quantify the risk. I carry a Glock 19. If I carried standard cap mags I would carry one spare mag for 31 rounds. Instead, I carry two spare mags, for 31 rounds. Would i rather carry standard cap mags? Sure. But I just don't think it is worth the risk.

I respect that others look at the same situation and choose otherwise. I don't belittle them. I don't say "you're going to jail, man!". They have just decided differently than me and that's OK.

It is impossible to quantify the risk. Apparently people have been arrested by MA LE for carrying a Glock because "those are illegal in MA" or would arrest you for possessing a U-notch - see if the charge sticks in court, looks good for the PD.

You won't have a criminal conviction, but likely; you got arrested, charged with whatever nonsense they decided to slap on, life was ruined for 8 months, LTC suspended, MA LE comes to your place and rapes you out of your property and 'God-given rights' means of self defense under threat of force/violence, and you are $XX,XXX in the hole in legal fees because MA wants to make gun ownership a crime.

And then there are some LE who are not anti-consitituon who would look the other way for a standard cap mag (although I assume that's the minority)

Last edited:
Because I judge it not worth the risk. And you could have made your point without being a dick.

I agree with you. Everyone likes to talk macho with risk tolerance, but on the rare instance you get brought up on sh*t charges like that in this state, I have a feeling most people would want to turn back the clock and re-adjust their own risk tolerance. The colossal waste of time and money fighting a charge, even a bogus one that you'll eventually win (or at least get tossed out), outweighs the extra 5 rounds per mag I would achieve. Now, this isn't to say the restricted mags are fine. I'll still fight for standard cap legislation if I can. But in the mean time, I'm not going to worry too much about the reduction when the number of mags I can have on my person is not limited.

I agree with you. Everyone likes to talk macho with risk tolerance, but on the rare instance you get brought up on sh*t charges like that in this state, I have a feeling most people would want to turn back the clock and re-adjust their own risk tolerance. The colossal waste of time and money fighting a charge, even a bogus one that you'll eventually win (or at least get tossed out), outweighs the extra 5 rounds per mag I would achieve. Now, this isn't to say the restricted mags are fine. I'll still fight for standard cap legislation if I can. But in the mean time, I'm not going to worry too much about the reduction when the number of mags I can have on my person is not limited.
Except that, in the case of Glock anyway, crippled mags have a proven record of unreliability. I wouldn’t trust my life to a crippled mag or a 30 year old U-notch mag.

I honestly don’t know how you guys leave the house with the amount of anxiety you must have in this state.

It is impossible to quantify the risk. Apparently people have been arrested by MA LE for carrying a Glock because "those are illegal in MA" or would arrest you for possessing a U-notch - see if the charge sticks in court, looks good for the PD.

You won't have a criminal conviction, but likely; you got arrested, charged with whatever nonsense they decided to slap on, life was ruined for 8 months, LTC suspended, MA LE comes to your place and rapes you out of your property and 'God-given rights' means of self defense under threat of force/violence, and you are $XX,XXX in the hole in legal fees because MA wants to make gun ownership a crime.

And then there are some LE who are not anti-consitituon who would look the other way for a standard cap mag (although I assume that's the minority)
Even if you are ultimately found not guilty, the process itself is the punishment.

Except that, in the case of Glock anyway, crippled mags have a proven record of unreliability. I wouldn’t trust my life to a crippled mag or a 30 year old U-notch mag.

I honestly don’t know how you guys leave the house with the amount of anxiety you must have in this state.

The only Glock that I've had issues with 10-round mags is my Glock 19 Gen 4. All my other Glocks (Glock 19 Gen 5, Glock 23 Gen 3, Glock 34 Gen 2.5, Glock 34 Gen 4, Glock 34 Gen 5) have been flawless with 10-round mags. I suspect the issue I experienced is with that particular Glock 19 Gen 4, not the mags. YMMV.

I think the chance of legal issues with a pre-ban mag is probably low, but I just choose not to take the risk. So I have to carry 2 spare mags instead of 1, so what?

The only Glock that I've had issues with 10-round mags is my Glock 19 Gen 4. All my other Glocks (Glock 19 Gen 5, Glock 23 Gen 3, Glock 34 Gen 2.5, Glock 34 Gen 4, Glock 34 Gen 5) have been flawless with 10-round mags. I suspect the issue I experienced is with that particular Glock 19 Gen 4, not the mags. YMMV.
Why not a Glock 48 at that point?

TLDR

Frankly if you're that afraid (and your original post is 9/10ths of the way into pant shitter territory) just run 10 round magazines, be done with it, and just forget about everything else it'll make a life a lot easier rather than getting raped by flippers buying magazines of dubious quality and origin and that kind of thing.

Anchoring a pistol purchase choice around pre-ban magazines at this stage is f****** stupid.

I know it's stupid because I used to do stupid s*** like that and I look back at how foolish it was. I was that guy. There are more important things than capacity. It was dumb when I was doing it something like 15? years ago it's even dumber now.

/If you still want to be retarded/, there's basically 4 common choices:

-Beretta 92 series
-Sig P226, P228, P229. .
-Glock (but you'll get ripped off by flippers on those mags, massive rape)
-S&W 3rd gen DA/SA guns. )those guns with the slide mounted safety, often shitty rollmarks and magazine safeties in them ).

Beretta 92 mags are the most common, everything else is down from there.

Everything else is a waste or painful. Or harder to get pant shitter feel good insurance on the provenance of the mags.

TLDR

Frankly if you're that afraid (and your original post is 9/10ths of the way into pant shitter territory) just run 10 round magazines, be done with it, and just forget about everything else it'll make a life a lot easier rather than getting raped by flippers buying magazines of dubious quality and origin and that kind of thing.

Anchoring a pistol purchase choice around pre-ban magazines at this stage is f****** stupid.

I know it's stupid because I used to do stupid s*** like that and I look back at how foolish it was. I was that guy. There are more important things than capacity. It was dumb when I was doing it something like 15? years ago it's even dumber now.

/If you still want to be retarded/, there's basically 4 common choices:

-Beretta 92 series
-Sig P226, P228, P229. .
-Glock (but you'll get ripped off by flippers on those mags, massive rape)
-S&W 3rd gen DA/SA guns. )those guns with the slide mounted safety, often shitty rollmarks and magazine safeties in them ).

Beretta 92 mags are the most common, everything else is down from there.

Everything else is a waste or painful. Or harder to get pant shitter feel good insurance on the provenance of the mags.
10/10 would be doing a metallurgy test to determine the manufacture date of sig dovetail mags.

10/10 would be doing a metallurgy test to determine the manufacture date of sig dovetail mags.

Avg mass DTE shopper / pant shitter :

"I sent my magazines to a laboratory and had a GCMS test run on it with carbon dating to the tune of 5000 dollars and had them like, carbon date the mags just to be sure. I had the mags serialized by the laboratory as well so its traceable. "

"Better be safe than in JAYLE. After all people on the internets tell me theres tons of people in jail for magazines. " [rofl]
"Youre not ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE? YOU WANT TO GO TO JAYLE???? WHAT R U, CRAZY?" [rofl]

Leave the "pre bans" out of your carry piece. Only bring them to the range or on your trip to freedom, NH, ME, VT., if you are concerned.
Some don't even care when their magazines were manufactured. They know they are screwed in MA for using any firearm and magazine to defend themselves and can plea bargain the magazine charge away, just like the non licensed totally illegal gang bangers do!

Leave the "pre bans" out of your carry piece. Only bring them to the range or on your trip to freedom, NH, ME, VT., if you are concerned.
Some don't even care when their magazines were manufactured. They know they are screwed in MA for using any firearm and magazine to defend themselves and can plea bargain the magazine charge away, just like the non licensed totally illegal gang bangers do!
D62B335F-7908-4F0F-B088-BF73AE94DBDF.gif

Most important thing in a carry gun for protection is a gun you’re comfortable and accurate with. It also needs to conceal well on you and be comfortable or you’ll never carry it. Going with a pistol that only has certifiable prebans severely limits your choice.

I’d rather 10 rounds in a pistol that works like an extension of me than 15 in something else.

Most important thing in a carry gun for protection is a gun you’re comfortable and accurate with. It also needs to conceal well on you and be comfortable or you’ll never carry it. Going with a pistol that only has certifiable prebans severely limits your choice.

I’d rather 10 rounds in a pistol that works like an extension of me than 15 in something else.

Should also be very reliable, a good reason to not run 30 year old plastic mags.

Back
Top Bottom