• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Precision/tactical rifles

I am looking at precision/tactical rifles in .308, I know Remington, and savage both make this type of rifle. But other day I was at First defense, and I noticed a Mossberg. It had a bi-pod, scope, and was chambered in .308. I could not tell if it had a bull barrel. (Link below),100 ATR® Night Train™ Special Purpose Bolt-Action Rifle. Anyone have any experience with this rifle or any other precision rifles? Which is the best bang for the buck type deal?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=35&section=products

Never seen the moss.. The most recognized best bang for the buck is the savage 10/ 110. After that IMO I would look at the rem 700 and FN. The 700p is THE entry level out of the box standard precision/ sniper/ tactical in use out there. In the same kind of price under 1k rifle only, are also the rem ltr and the FN.
depending on budget.. I would go for the savage, and buy the best glass you can afford. I think that any of these will far surpass 90% off all shooters ability out of the box.

and just for reference I have
ltr in 223/ ssg pii/ sav 10 short bbl in 308 (and had a 700p in 300rum).. they all shoot far better than i am/ or will ever be capable of.

I bought a brand new Rem 700 SPS Tactical Rifle in 308 Win last month. The reviews were pretty good for this iron.

My trip to the range was not pleasant. The gun did not work. Talk about no bang for the buck!

It is on the way back to the warranty center.

Damn Remington!

I luckily stumbled across a great deal on a FN Special Police Sniper in 308 a few years back. I mounted a Leupold Tactical VXIII 4.5x14x40 Adj Obj scope on it and it's been dead on accurate up to the 300 yrd I've shot it at. It's in a McMillan stock and it's solid enough that the recoil isn't bad at all. I'm very happy with this rifle and would recommend it to anyone. It's not one you hear all the much about.

Don't discount the semi-autos for precision work.

I got a JP LRP-07 a while ago, and recently got a chance to try it with the attached Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope. The Magtech ammo (168 JSP) was most unimpressive, and could easily hit an apple sized target at 100 yards. Federal 168GR JHP was a different story - shooting with a bipod, and a bad for the rear rest, was repeatably sub MOA. This is one cool AR.

While JP makes an excellent AR, it is hardly within the budget of the Mossberg, or even Savage, buyer.

I'll second the "bang for the buck" vote for Savage, especially now that they come with the new trigger. I put a Timney in my FP 10, purchased long before that improvement was made.

Don't discount the semi-autos for precision work.

I got a JP LRP-07 a while ago, and recently got a chance to try it with the attached Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope. The Magtech ammo (168 JSP) was most unimpressive, and could easily hit an apple sized target at 100 yards. Federal 168GR JHP was a different story - shooting with a bipod, and a bad for the rear rest, was repeatably sub MOA. This is one cool AR.

Good point. "Varmint" type rifles share many of the same characteristics as a good sniper platform. (usually in a smaller caliber such as .220, .222, .223/5.56, .250...) The Bushmaster Varminter and Predator are good examples of this and shoot quite well at extended distances. Other manufacturers produce similar models.

Chris

I have to disagree here. There is a reason that the bolt action has been the standard "sniper" rifle for a lot of years, it works and it's extremely accurate. While semi's have gotten a lot better and accurate over the years, they are not accepted as sniper quality guns. With extremely few exceptions, PSG/ Barret/ Dragunov (kind of) there really are no semi's in wide spread use for that role.

223 as a precision cartridge is really tends to be police only and generally short distances. I believe that the 223 is also preferred as a consideration dealing with over penetration.

Maybe not for snipers. But go check out a high power rifle line sometime. Lots of folks there shooting out to 600 yards with semi-autos, and doing quite well with them.

I'll add a +3 for the Savage 110/10 line of rifles, I'm very pleased with the quality and accuracy of my 110 on .30-06 and will be picking up a .308 version in the near future

There is a reason that the bolt action has been the standard "sniper" rifle for a lot of years, it works and it's extremely accurate.
At one time the same would have been an excellent explanation as to why police used revolvers, not semi-autos. I suspect the sniper world will go through a similar phase shift over the next decade or three.

While semi's have gotten a lot better and accurate over the years, they are not accepted as sniper quality guns.
Except that the US Army has accepted Knight's Armament XM110 as the new US Army standard sniper rifle to replace the M24.

223 as a precision cartridge is really tends to be police only and generally short distances.
You must not be familiar with the sport of NRA Highpower Rifle.

How much does the savage retail for? I have a savage 17hmr, with the accutrigger and it is a tack driver. I would buy tghe savage over the mossburg. There web site: $678.

Armament XM110 as the new US Army standard sniper rifle to replace the M24.

It has been my understanding that the knights and m24 are not sniper rifles but fill the role of designated marksman's rifle, as well as the role of the spotter's rifle on a sniper team. I may be way off but the standard sniper rifle is still the rem 700, and dakota for the US and a bolt for other countries.

as far as high power, it is a different thing. Yes, a tweaked AR in 223 can shoot @ 1" * 100 yards. But I think this is not the same.

I bought a brand new Rem 700 SPS Tactical Rifle in 308 Win last month. The reviews were pretty good for this iron.

My trip to the range was not pleasant. The gun did not work. Talk about no bang for the buck!

It is on the way back to the warranty center.

Damn Remington!

No more bargain bin shopping for you, eh? [wink]

Seriously, I hope your rifle comes back shooting as it should have in the first place. [smile]

I have a remmington Police Sniper Special in .308 that is great. Topped with a 10x Leupold scope and shooting qmmo's 168 gn hpbt ammo get me 1 inch at 100 yards.

as far as high power, it is a different thing. Yes, a tweaked AR in 223 can shoot @ 1" * 100 yards. But I think this is not the same.

I agree. A tweaked bolt-action rifle that can shoot 1/2 MOA is not the same thing as a tweaked AR15 that can shoot 1/2 MOA. After all, one is a bolt action and one is semi-auto [wink]

My Remington LTR in .308 is amazing. I love the damn thing to death. With my current setup, I can shoot out the inside of a quarter with 3 shots at 200 yards.

It's for sale, BTW, in the classifieds [sad2]

Back
Top Bottom