Potential vote on reciprocity... have you acted?

Whats an appropriate way to respond to people who bring up the article quote that:

"Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens during a two-year period ending in April, according to a study by the Violence Policy Center."

Besides the whole fact that its from the Violence Policy Center. How else would you explain this to an anti in a way that doesn't villainize a CC permit holder?

Well, I have some more info on your stats there. Lautenberg just spoke about it on cspan2 and gave enough info that I could piece it together. In short, these people are lying scum.
A) Any murder occurring in AK and VT by someone who is not a prohibited person (or any murder maybe) counts as a CCW permit holder, despite the fact that there is no CCW permit in those states. (they are claiming a mass murder in AK was by a permit holder) B) Any state in which a permit to purchase or permit to possess exists it is getting counted as a CCW permit. (they are claiming that the 23 yro in pittsburg PA was a CCW permit holder, but he was not and had a RO on him and was a prohibited person). What tools.

So that is your answer to these people. The stats were lies.

Last edited:
Although I support the notion of inter-state reciprocation on this issue, I'm VERY worried about the Feds pushing it through. I'd be much happier if the states decided among themselves to do it instead. The problem with this coming down from Washington is that it sets a precedent for the Feds to get involved with CCW, and if we're not careful we might end up with the Feds mandating that the country establish CCW laws along the lines of CA or NY, and since the precedent has been set we could be screwed big time.

Yep.

done even though i know its a waste of time with K&K.... i also said that i would not consider voting for them again (never have and never will)

From Foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- Gun control and gun rights advocates are bracing for another clash with a Senate vote on a measure that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry those hidden weapons across state borders.

Backers, led by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., say truckers and others with concealed weapons permits should be able to protect themselves when they cross into other states. Opponents say the measure would force states with strict procedures for getting permits to accept permits from states with more lax laws.

The Senate has scheduled a vote Wednesday on the measure, which Thune offered as an amendment to a major defense policy bill. Under an agreement reached among Senate leaders, 60 votes will be needed to approve the amendment.

The vote comes a day after the Senate completed what is probably the most controversial issue connected to the defense bill, voting 58-40 to eliminate $1.75 billion in the $680 billion bill that had been set aside for building more F-22 fighters. President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates campaigned hard for removing the money, saying the Pentagon had enough F-22s and the money could be spent on more pressing defense needs.

The gun proposal would make concealed weapons permits from one state valid in other states as long as the person obeys the laws of other states, such as weapons bans in certain localities. It does not establish national standards for concealed weapons permits and would not allow those with permits to carry weapons into Wisconsin and Illinois, the two states that do not have concealed weapons laws.

"Law-abiding South Dakotans should be able to exercise the right to bear arms in states with similar regulations on concealed firearms," Thune said. "My legislation enables citizens to protect themselves while respecting individual state firearms laws."

National Rifle Association chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox said the last two decades have shown a strong shift toward gun rights laws. "We believe it's time for Congress to acknowledge these changes and respect the right of self-defense, and the right of self-defense does not stop at state lines," he said.

Gun control groups were strongly in opposition.

Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens during a two-year period ending in April, according to a study by the Violence Policy Center. "It is beyond irrational for Congress to vote to expand the reach of these deadly laws," said the center's legislative director, Kristen Rand.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said the bill would "incite a dangerous race to the bottom in our nation's gun laws." He said his own state, which has strict gun control laws, would have to accept concealed weapons permits from states such as Arizona, which issues permits to people with drinking problems, or Alaska, where people with violent misdemeanor convictions can get permits.

"Folks in Minot, N.D., and New York are going to have different conceptions about what's right for their locality," said Jim Kessler, vice president for policy at Third Way, a centrist think tank that supports gun rights. "In some states you have to show a real need" to get a permit, he said. "In other states you have to show that you can stand on two feet."

So far this year gun rights advocates have had the clear advantage in Congress. They managed to attach a provision to a credit card bill signed into law that restores the right to carry loaded firearms in national parks, and coupled a Senate vote giving the District of Columbia a vote in the House with a provision effectively ending the district's tough gun control laws.

House Democratic leaders, unable to detach the two issues without losing the support of pro-gun Democrats, abandoned attempts to pass the D.C. vote bill.

ETA: Bold is mine - how about the number of people killed by bad guys??

Last edited:
"If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.

[laugh2] what a donkey!

Pernox, I'm just curious to where you got that data from? I've tried looking up stats like in conversations with my anti friends, but haven't found solid facts. Also, I wonder how those numbers would change (if at all) if you account for the number of cars on the road in the US to the number of lawful carrying citizens.
Click on the word "cite" in that post - he embedded a link for you...

The FBI publishes wonderful stats, but they are really thick and take lots of reduction to make a point... Searching for commentary which mentions the FBI stats can help you narrow things on the 'net.

Webb just voted Aye. Hes a democrat.

PS: Lynne, here is something about what you bolded.
Well, I have some more info on your stats there. Lautenberg just spoke about it on cspan2 and gave enough info that I could piece it together. In short, these people are lying scum.
A) Any murder occurring in AK and VT by someone who is not a prohibited person (or any murder maybe) counts as a CCW permit holder, despite the fact that there is no CCW permit in those states. (they are claiming a mass murder in AK was by a permit holder) B) Any state in which a permit to purchase or permit to possess exists it is getting counted as a CCW permit. (they are claiming that the 23 yro in pittsburg PA was a CCW permit holder, but he was not and had a RO on him and was a prohibited person). What tools.

Thanks terra. The fact that they're lying just shows that they don't know squat and don't look at the numbers. Unless, of course, those numbers are skewed to their advantage.

[rolleyes] [angry]

Have I mentioned I hate liberals lately?

I think this is a great result. It passed the simple majority. It failed to get something filibuster proof but hey, that is not bad for this type of law. It shows there is absolutely no support to do anything against us, that's for sure. And I will say it again, this is us on offense. I would rather be playing offense than playing defense like we have been for so long.

I think this is a great result. It passed the simple majority. It failed to get something filibuster proof but hey, that is not bad for this type of law. It shows there is absolutely no support to do anything against us, that's for sure. And I will say it again, this is us on offense. I would rather be playing offense than playing defense like we have been for so long.

I agree with you that it looks as if the Dems are backing down from the fight for now, but something in my gut tells me that it is not a retreat as it is, get your troops out of the way because we are going to be dropping the big one. We really have not seen them go full force on anything as of yet, so we can't really give any indication, as to what an all out assault will loook like. Hell, right now, we can even see them agreeing on anything in their own party, seems a lot of them want to bail on the healthcare proposal by his royal assness. Certainly funny to see them scurrying around with out a clue, and if I remember correctly, they accused the Repub's of this same problem at election time, funny, their in power, and disorganized. I say while their blind and confused, and under pressure, lets hit them hard and long with every single bill or amendment we can on gun rights and just keep pounding them till they crack, when they are down, hit them again. But hey thats just me...................

Back
Top Bottom