Potential vote on reciprocity... have you acted?

I haven't read the bill that this amendment is attached to. I cannot support or reject this without knowing what the bill will do to us.

You mean like the tears of a clown? [grin]

I was going for the old Sinatra tune. :)

But in all seriousness my letters from now on will state fully that I'm not voting for them further and am telling my friends to please do likewise if I get the no reply or the standard "I'll vote however I see fit" reply.

I just sent both reps letters throught the NRA website. If anyone is an NRA member, it only takes a few seconds to do it. Even if you think it will never happen send the letters or emails anyway.

I didn't because it would just tipoff my useless reps that it exists. They don't pay attention to what the peons think anyway. I have pestered them on multiple things, and the one who used to respond doesn't any longer (Lieberman). I think he stopped responding when I ended one email with "some of us are paying attention."

Senate Democrats Battle Concealed Weapons Amendment
Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., has proposed a measure that would allow people to carry concealed weapons across state lines, drawing criticism from Democrats who live in states with strict gun laws.

A controversial amendment to the Senate defense planning bill that would allow people to carry concealed weapons across state lines has set off a firestorm on both sides of the gun control debate .

Democrats were scrambling to defeat the proposal by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., ahead of a Wednesday vote on the measure. Thune argues the amendment, which has 21 Senate co-sponsors, will help reduce crime.

"My legislation enables citizens to protect themselves while respecting individual state firearms laws," Thune said in a written statement last week after he offered the legislation. .

Opponents say the legislation would allow people to carry concealed weapons into states where they would otherwise be ineligible to do so.

"This amendment is another attempt by the gun lobby to put its radical agenda ahead of safety and security in our communities," Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., said in a written statement.

"If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.

Currently, 48 states allow concealed weapons. Thune's amendment would not allow people to carry concealed weapons into the two states -- Wisconsin and Illinois -- that do not permit them.

In states that do allow concealed weapons, Thune's amendment would require anyone crossing state lines to abide by the rules of the state they are in -- such restrictions include the types of locations where a firearm can be carried.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence disputes the claim that allowing residents to carry concealed weapons reduces crime. It also warned that because some states have lax gun restrictions, people who've received no weapons training or who have been convicted of violent misdemeanors or sex offenses against minors would be able to carry concealed weapons across America.

Pro-gun organizations like the National Rife Association dismiss such objections as scare tactics.

"Now is the time for Congress to recognize that the right to self-defense does not end at state lines," the group said in a statement.

A Democratic aide told FOXNews.com that if passed, Thune's amendment could make it harder for the overall $680 billion defense authorization bill to pass. The aide said Schumer, Lautenberg and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., are trying to prevent the amendment from coming to a vote, and foes could attempt a filibuster.
---------------
[angry] Who could have seen that comming?

"If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.

Yeah...I feel much better now, thanks Schmuck Schumer. [rolleyes]

Kennedy? Kerry? [thinking] [rofl]

If we're fortunate enough, I'm counting on Kennedy not even being present for the vote.

Ditto,

Where is the bill parked at ?

I hope we all aren't as stupid at those that call themselves our reps and YES we would like to read what we are considering turning into law unlike the clowns in Washington DC.

I haven't read the bill that this amendment is attached to. I cannot support or reject this without knowing what the bill will do to us.

This kills me. So no place other than NY can do a "rigorous" back ground check? These bastages try to make it sound like anyone can hide a gun under their clothes and walk around. So far from the truth! But these guys are not about truth are they?

As a voter - Better to do something than nothing at all.

When a person can't figure out (or doesn't want to be bothered) what all the differences are amongst the states - laws don't stand for much...and to assume that most will simply not carry is a flawed assumption.

Although I support the notion of inter-state reciprocation on this issue, I'm VERY worried about the Feds pushing it through. I'd be much happier if the states decided among themselves to do it instead. The problem with this coming down from Washington is that it sets a precedent for the Feds to get involved with CCW, and if we're not careful we might end up with the Feds mandating that the country establish CCW laws along the lines of CA or NY, and since the precedent has been set we could be screwed big time.

Although I support the notion of inter-state reciprocation on this issue, I'm VERY worried about the Feds pushing it through. I'd be much happier if the states decided among themselves to do it instead. The problem with this coming down from Washington is that it sets a precedent for the Feds to get involved with CCW, and if we're not careful we might end up with the Feds mandating that the country establish CCW laws along the lines of CA or NY, and since the precedent has been set we could be screwed big time.

Right, Pip. While this sounds like a really good thing for us gun owners on the surface, I also worry about Federal regs on CCW. This could adversly effect free-staters.

I wrote to both "Blonde in every Pond" and Old long Face and i'm sure i'll get back some BS carbon copy response about how our founding fathers could never understand the destructive force of todays weapons and there not for hunting, blah blah blah blah. Our founding fathers would be envious of a M1A or a good old 1911!

Whats an appropriate way to respond to people who bring up the article quote that:

"Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens during a two-year period ending in April, according to a study by the Violence Policy Center."

Besides the whole fact that its from the Violence Policy Center. How else would you explain this to an anti in a way that doesn't villainize a CC permit holder?

Whats an appropriate way to respond to people who bring up the article quote that:

"Concealed handgun permit holders killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens during a two-year period ending in April, according to a study by the Violence Policy Center."

Besides the whole fact that its from the Violence Policy Center. How else would you explain this to an anti in a way that doesn't villainize a CC permit holder?

Guns are tools used to protect life, property, and family.

About .06 people die every day at the hands of lawfully carrying citizens -- one death every 400 hours.

Cars are tools used to get quickly and conveniently from point A to point B.

About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutes. cite

Which license is it that shouldn't be issued?

You need to find out what they consider permit holders. Don't assume they are not spinning (or outright lying) that. I would love to know the details on what brady is calling 5 permit holders who have killed.

^^ The data is inconclusive as they cannot give an accurate data set for the reason or issuance. Some of those CCW holders are retired officers, some of the data they dont accept are NH or VT citizens who dont have permits -but the shooting is still counted.
Of the 44 shootings what was the percentage of those who were in the commission of a crime?

I could say that a 3 year sample of 7,000 firearms owners have had a 0.0009% accidental/negligent discharge. However, I wont tell you that those firearms owners are all members of this website.

Good or bad, presented numbers hide more than they reveal, even when heavily biased.

Back
Top Bottom