Possible EOTech problems

So you zero at 68F, lower temp by 36F and it's off a FOOT at 100yds. That's pretty absurd.

Yep, not a confidence builder at all. The Lee Sportsmans rifle range has a heated section with a couple benches inside, kind of curious to see what mine does.

Oh, and I have to look through an Aimpoint, see what my astigmatism makes of it. Eotech's reticle is pixelated for me, but doesn't flare. The cheaper red dots I've tried turn into comets at higher brightness. It might be time for me to switch to more conventional optics.

I shoot all through the winter and it's not uncommon to be at the range in 5F to -5f temps. I can't imagine how confusing it would be to basically feel like you need to constantly rezero.

I shoot all through the winter and it's not uncommon to be at the range in 5F to -5f temps. I can't imagine how confusing it would be to basically feel like you need to constantly rezero.

I've read thru the first 11 pgs of the original lawsuit. What I can't determine is WHEN the implemented fixes to correct these problems. Apparently L-3 didn't track that info by S/N.

I'm going to try mine out on a cold day and see where it goes. If it is off, then I'll address it with them for either a fix or refund. I just can't see myself ever going to Aimpoint again based on my sour experiences with their "fixing" my Aimpoint Comps (since out of warranty I paid them ~$180 to "fix")!

I've read thru the first 11 pgs of the original lawsuit. What I can't determine is WHEN the implemented fixes to correct these problems. Apparently L-3 didn't track that info by S/N.

I'm going to try mine out on a cold day and see where it goes. If it is off, then I'll address it with them for either a fix or refund. I just can't see myself ever going to Aimpoint again based on my sour experiences with their "fixing" my Aimpoint Comps (since out of warranty I paid them ~$180 to "fix")!

Unless L-3 releases the information (probably not until compelled by any class action [thinking]), there's really no guarantee that any [STRIKE=-]bandaids[/STRIKE] engineering changes were ever implemented in anything but the DoD contract sights. I can see them not wanting to run two separate assembly processes, but I can also see them wanting to run out existing parts stocks on the non-contract product line.

I read elsewhere you can apply for a refund, quite a few people have so far.
Never liked These sights, saw a hand full of them turn off mid match to the shooters suprise.

Here ya go. Hit up their website and click on the return authorization link. They will give back full purchase price plus shipping. My 512 bought in 2007 is going back Wed.

image.png

Last edited:
Mikes a good guy that's in a tough spot... He cares about the customer, he went out of his way to call me and explain the issue and what my option are.... Any respect I have left for that company is solely because of him

Mikes a good guy that's in a tough spot... He cares about the customer, he went out of his way to call me and explain the issue and what my option are.... Any respect I have left for that company is solely because of him
What are the other options? Besides a full refund. I'm a bit of an eotech fanboy... So I would be more interested in a newer/ fixed model then a full refund.

Last edited:

There are other options besides eotech or aimpoint. Why shoot with dots you have no faith in

It's really disappointing to hear this. I prefer the large window on my EXPS 3 over my Aimpoint Pro although I do prefer the battery life on the Aimpoint.
I've requested an RA# to send it back for a full refund. We'll see how it goes.

I just sent my eotech in for warranty repair for disappearing reticle before learning of this issue. It's supposed to be delivered back to me tomorrow after 3 weeks at eotech. Had I known of this issue I would have gone a different route. I also sent an RA request just a few minutes ago for full refund even noting that it's already on its way back. Let's see how they handle this request. I really liked this sight but if it doesn't hold zero it is essentially worthless as a weapon sight.

I just sent my eotech in for warranty repair for disappearing reticle before learning of this issue. It's supposed to be delivered back to me tomorrow after 3 weeks at eotech. Had I known of this issue I would have gone a different route. I also sent an RA request just a few minutes ago for full refund even noting that it's already on its way back. Let's see how they handle this request. I really liked this sight but if it doesn't hold zero it is essentially worthless as a weapon sight.

The issue, summarized in a single sentence.

They need a solution to this problem or this company may not survive.

How old is your EOTech? I bought one in 2012 - really considering a refund at this point if there's no Fix for delamination.

Mines was August 2012 so you should be good as far as warranty. I can't say for sure though. You need to fill out an RA form on their website and they will let you know. That's what I did initially before hearing of the current issue.

The issue, summarized in a single sentence.

They need a solution to this problem or this company may not survive.

i want to see if i can duplicate some of the findings with mine. i have had times when i've set stuff up in the cold and gone "what the **** is wrong with me today? i'm a mile left/right/up/down", i've had other times where everything was fine.

either way those kind of now-proven inconsistencies in a weapon sight are a no-go.

Based on the updates to their website and the lawsuit, it looks like they dramatically reduced the thermal drift issue several years ago, with a 5 MOA Max drift now. If that's over the entire temp range and increases near extremes, that's fine with me.

The delamination issue is a problem, essentially making the site a consumable and a $500 hunk of self-destructing shit if EOTech goes tits up.

I'm still up in the air on this. I like the scope and the reticle a lot vs aimpoints, but can't justify keeping it around if it is going to fail.

I too prefer the reticle over a dot. I may just stash the cash and give Eotech time for a revision. With the amount of money the company is losing/ gonna lose I can't see them not revising the circuitry. My 512 is currently on a beowulf build so I don't mind it sitting with irons for a while. But then again the cash may go toward a H1 and do some optic switcharoos.

Has anyone done their own tests to verify this? I find it a bit curious that until recently, I don't really recall anyone complaining about their Eotechs being way off from one day to the next based on weather. I've had a 512 for almost 6 years now without noticing a zero issue. When I get back stateside I'll have to go out on a cold day. The last two times I shot with it, it was right on. I'll have to see if I'm now off. I just can't imagine there being such huge differences based on what I'm now reading, though I don't think I've ever shot it in subzero temperatures. That is scary bad, what they are saying.

If it's really as bad as they say, I'm surprised it took this long to come out.

Not that surprising in one way. Looks like the thermal shift issue is most severe at 30 degree and lower temps. How often are these sights actually used in those conditions?

What surprised me is that the military clearly either lacked the equipment or desire to verify these sights actually met specifications. What's the point of having a spec if you don't do acceptance testing?!

Just got my return authorization. Real fast and easy. Only reason I gave for the return was "Parallax and zero drift", then they just wanted to know how much I paid and from where. I'll mail the sight to them tomorrow. This must be pretty routine for them by now, so hopefully my refund and shipping reimbursement is just as quick.

Back
Top Bottom