• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weatherby accuracy problems

With new barrel ?
picked up some Shock Hammer bullets to start, plus made up a dummy round (good advice) load development starts on Saturday..Working brass as we speak. Thanks for all the input and advice.

No, holding off now on that option. Trying bullets not used before and a couple different powders
Does your serial number fall under the .99” guarantee?

I know factory ammo is like $5 round but sometimes you have to test with what the factory uses to see or have a base line.
I gave up on magnums after a short run with a 300 RUM
I found this if you have not yet.

Interesting thread. Looking forward to reading about your results. As frustrating as it can be, I find accuracy issues very interesting. It's like a complex riddle that you need to solve. I don't understand half the things people are stating in this thread, and I still find it fun 😁

i shot my ruger sfar with hot loads, like around 50 shots or may be 70 - got a totally blue shoulder and then joint pain for a month. an 8lbs rifle kicks a ton, even on a mere .308.
then went on ebay and got this little BS rubber thing - and it solves bruised shoulder issue 100%
View attachment 829152

I replaced mine on my 308 with a limbsaver. Absolute game changer. I have like zero felt recoil. I think this is the simplest and one of the best upgrade for any big game rifle.

I replaced mine on my 308 with a limbsaver. Absolute game changer. I have like zero felt recoil. I think this is the simplest and one of the best upgrade for any big game rifle.
i thought of that, but that little thing i posted about worked fine. i think the anticipation of recoil if the core reason of most misses anyway, as you simply flinch uncontrollably when it starts to hurt.
but, yeah, there are many ways to skin a cat.

My brother has a rem mountain rifle in 30:06 gun weighs like four pounds and kicks like a mule, he installed a limb saver, made huge difference with recoil

Me and a few others here had a big bore day. We were seeking recoil (mostly handguns) but had a .458 (with a comp) and a .50 BMG.

Bring on the pain!

I am disappointed by the 458 Win Mag, it is a lot more fun to shoot than I thought.
Sometimes winning a drunk bid pays off.

I need a bigger rifle.
Yup. I was genuinely surprised how (relatively) tame it was. I was hoping for a bruised shoulder! Lol

You sooooo need a .50bmg. I think you got a bit “excited” shooting it! Lol.

Yup. I was genuinely surprised how (relatively) tame it was. I was hoping for a bruised shoulder! Lol

You sooooo need a .50bmg. I think you got a bit “excited” shooting it! Lol.
I got home that night and texted a few people to see if I could really cast for a 50 BMG and not lead the barrel.

Reloading for it is the only thing holding me back :(

But since we are on a Weatherby thread, I have been thinking about the 6.5-300 Weatherby. Looks like it shoots very flat.

I got home that night and texted a few people to see if I could really cast for a 50 BMG and not lead the barrel.

Reloading for it is the only thing holding me back :(

But since we are on a Weatherby thread, I have been thinking about the 6.5-300 Weatherby. Looks like it shoots very flat.
Yes cast in 50 BMG is fine.

might have to use a harder alloy?
A while back before they where banned from club use there where a few guys shooting 50bmg cast.
Only thing I really recall to be a issued was barrel twist.

Last edited:
A little late to this party, but....

I had a M1A that just shot like crap after putting on a high speed/low drag modstock on it, never could get the sights dialed in, same with a scope. In frustration, I actually traded it off for a pistol/cash. Guy I traded it to calls me up and asks where I got the modstock from. Turns out the stock was cracked. He called the company, they sent him a new stock, with upgrades. Gun shot perfect after that.

Just saying, might be a problem elsewhere. I never saw the crack.

A little late to this party, but....

I had a M1A that just shot like crap after putting on a high speed/low drag modstock on it, never could get the sights dialed in, same with a scope. In frustration, I actually traded it off for a pistol/cash. Guy I traded it to calls me up and asks where I got the modstock from. Turns out the stock was cracked. He called the company, they sent him a new stock, with upgrades. Gun shot perfect after that.

Just saying, might be a problem elsewhere. I never saw the crack.
Theres always something.
And everything can work against you.
Ever play with action torgue.
When I finally sat down with the torque screw driver with my 1903a3 and new stock and went through different torque ranges I found a spot where magic happened.
It was a lot “looser” than I had been previously using.

I have what is now referred to an ‘ultralight’, when I got it they called it a Super Big Game Master. It’s in 300 Weatherby and prefers Weatherby loaded Nosler Accubonds.

When I first got the rifle, I had problems due to scope rings. I use steel Tally rings and bases with a Swarovski scope. If you went cheap on these, you’ll have issues. I ended up using some adhesive on the rings (very thin coating) my new preferred way is Kapton tape. I can now hold under 1.5” and have taken a caribou at 167yds and a moose at 145yds on the trot/run.

I have what is now referred to an ‘ultralight’, when I got it they called it a Super Big Game Master. It’s in 300 Weatherby and prefers Weatherby loaded Nosler Accubonds.

When I first got the rifle, I had problems due to scope rings. I use steel Tally rings and bases with a Swarovski scope. If you went cheap on these, you’ll have issues. I ended up using some adhesive on the rings (very thin coating) my new preferred way is Kapton tape. I can now hold under 1.5” and have taken a caribou at 167yds and a moose at 145yds on the trot/run.
The weatherby dad gave me is a 1986 Winchester model 70 winlite. Which is a featherweight, with a super lightweight stock made for Winchester by McMillan. The recoil pad is a hard piece of plastic. So now the stock is in my closet, and it’s got a Houge over molded stock. Way more manageable recoil. Dad build up loads using 180 and 200 grain accubonds, and partitions. And that rifle loves those pills. But my luck, heavy nosler pills aren’t available anywhere, so I’ve had to develop using 185 grain Berger’s, and 200 grain hornady ELD-X’s

I'll have to dig out my father's W. German weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby mag.
for a photo. Interesting gun, a bit much for whitetail though. Sends out a unique "shockwave" unlike any other rifle I've ever shot. Very comfortable to shoot surprisingly. He bought it from his landlord c.1972

20231219_190719.jpg 20231219_190905.jpg 20231219_191242.jpg 20231219_190925.jpg 20231219_191332.jpg
This rifle is too nice for me. My father got to the point he didn't want to take it in the woods much anymore too. Plus the damage to deer was a bit excessive. If I'm feeling spendy ill take it to the range once a year. It has no problem holding between 3/4"-1" groups with factory ammo (100yds). The bluing on these guns is amazing. I've never seen anything like it
Edit - that's all me too. Might be much better with a proper rest, better shooter etc

Last edited:
View attachment 830020View attachment 830021View attachment 830022View attachment 830023View attachment 830024
This rifle is too nice for me. My father got to the point he didn't want to take it in the woods much anymore too. Plus the damage to deer was a bit excessive. If I'm feeling spendy ill take it to the range once a year. It has no problem holding between 3/4"-1" groups with factory ammo (100yds). The bluing on these guns is amazing. I've never seen anything like it
Edit - that's all me too. Might be much better with a proper rest, better shooter etc
That rifle is beautiful.

I’ll add that I’ve noticed with mine. That the closer the load gets to book maximum, the tighter the groups seem to get. It seems to me, it’s more satisfied the more I suffer. Doing load development on Saturday for the Hornady 200 grain ELD-X pills with IMR 7828. The tightest group was .4 grains over book, but no signs of over pressure. Easy bolt lift, nice primer, etc…. But recoil was absolutely punishing.

Attachments

• IMG_2073.png
    IMG_2073.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2072.png
    IMG_2072.png
    176 KB · Views: 2
I’ll add that I’ve noticed with mine. That the closer the load gets to book maximum, the tighter the groups seem to get. It seems to me, it’s more satisfied the more I suffer. Doing load development on Saturday for the Hornady 200 grain ELD-X pills with IMR 7828. The tightest group was .4 grains over book, but no signs of over pressure. Easy bolt lift, nice primer, etc…. But recoil was absolutely punishing.
Thats the idea behind the magnums. High velocity.
Slow powders , long barrels and squeezing as much velocity you can safely. If you dumb it down might as well shoot 308 30-06

I’m not the OP. I know full well what to expect with a cartridge such as this. Like dad said when he gave me the rifle. “Mijo, you should have a rifle you don’t shoot a lot, but hits targets with gods authority.” And it’s just right for my purpose. 200 grain pills for elk season, and 185 bergers for coues deer. (Also the odd coyote to verify zero😈)
Honestly, if Mr. Weatherby hadn’t arrived for my birthday, I’d most likely have picked up a 7mm Winchester.

what kind of a game needs 200gr at 3000fps? an elephant?

what kind of a game needs 200gr at 3000fps? an elephant?
What kind of game needs any of the legacy weatherby's? Highly inefficient, high powder charge, barrel burning infernos. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when the mighty Sir Craig Boddington had an article matching caliber recommendations to various game. Elk recommendation was 270 Winchester. Whitetail was 300 weatherby mag because of "a tough hide" or some bs. I've seen the destruction of 270 wb mag in a deer and its not pretty. The modern 308 Hornady loadings aren't easy either. I know a few that load down .308 for whitetail as to not blow the thing into a pile of jello or use .223 to the head. It's like hot rods of old, wasteful fuel use and an awsome design

Almost forgot to add the photo. Like I said, Winchester model 70. The original McMillan stock is in my closet. That’s the Houge over molded one. And a Leupold VX3 3-9. Dialed 3” high at 100 yards. Bipod is just for bench work. Fantastic lightweight rifle for chasing critters all over the nearby mountains.
69929536503__0C57CBF8-7BF8-44A0-A487-E6A99FA7F356.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom