• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weatherby accuracy problems

Wife bought me a MarkV & Wby mag and its never been less than 3 inch group at 200 yrds. I have loaded from 170 gr to 140. Nothing great, rebedded stock then looked to see how far off the lands.. Bingo, throat is so long that to even get close to lands I can only have a 1/16 inch of the bullet into the case. If I put the bullet so it fits the mag I am nearly 1/2 inch off the lands.. Done playing, ordered a 1:8 twist Berglien barrel and will go from there.

Suffering (accuracy wise) with what I think is a bad barrel/chamber on a M5 build. I feel your pain.

Wife bought me a MarkV & Wby mag and its never been less than 3 inch group at 200 yrds. I have loaded from 170 gr to 140. Nothing great, rebedded stock then looked to see how far off the lands.. Bingo, throat is so long that to even get close to lands I can only have a 1/16 inch of the bullet into the case. If I put the bullet so it fits the mag I am nearly 1/2 inch off the lands.. Done playing, ordered a 1:8 twist Berglien barrel and will go from there.
1/2"? Holy sh*t.

It's not really bingo.
Weatherby magnums are designed with free bore.
I have 2 a 300 mag and 257 mag both are precise.

I'd keep trying

My .300 wby mag (a 1986 Winchester winlite) has the proper weatherby long lede. I load to maximum mag length. I could get it close to the lands, but I have no desire for my hunting rifle to be a single shot.

3” is 1.5 moa ….could be well with in spec for that rifle.
Is this a older mark V ot new production what model
What cal?
How many shots are you shooting for groups. Is it a pencil barrel .
If its a hunting rig what you want is cold bore shot going where your aiming and maybe a follow up shot somewhere in the vital zone?
Also what other rifles do you have that you can consistently shoot 1 MOA with

Last edited:
Start here…im also going to gander shot from a mechanical rest in a enclosed testing tunnel.
Does your rifle have the correct prefix to be “guaranteed”?
I would suggest trying some weatherby ammunition

All Weatherby® Mark V® rifles with a serial number prefix of “WY, PM and PS” and Vanguard® Series 2 rifles with a serial number prefix of “VB” are guaranteed to shoot a . 99″ or better 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby calibers) or Weatherby factory ammunition.

Last edited:
What cal?
If its a hunting rig what you want is cold bore shot going where your aiming and maybe a follow up shot somewhere in the vital zone?
Then why is this guy buying a custom barrel (like with incorrectly assumed to be proper specs) when all he has to do is call customer svc at weatherby and quote their service guarantee?

Start here
Then why is this guy buying a custom barrel (like with incorrectly assumed to be proper specs) when all he has to do is call customer svc at weatherby and quote their service guarantee?
well lets see if his gun even has the proper prefix. New /used , cal
Ugh I have so many questions
How was free bore or leade measured.
I would be at minimum taking a bore scope and taking a look inside. Plus free bore will differ with different bullet ogive designs.
When measures that way.

Last edited:
OP are you getting a custom barrel with custom chamber specs.
I would make darn sure what chamber specs they are using.

If not, I would make darn sure what chamber specs they are using

Full disclosure.

I have a .300 Weatherby rifle. It reliably shoots .75 MOA 3-shot groups with Weatherby 180 grain spire-point factory ammunition, and my level of skill is such that I am able to replicate those groups.

I have noticed that it takes superb discipline to shoot an un-braked .300 Weatherby Magnum without flinching.

Presumably your rifle has a brake--OR you are superbly disciplined.

If not--look no further. The problem may well be human error.

As the Weatherby rifle is intended for hunting large game, presumably you have a hunting scope on it, AND presumably that hunting scope's parallax is internally fixed at 100 yards, AND presumably that scope does not allow for parallax correction--so presumably you are doing your load testing at 100 yards. And presumably you understand parallax error.

Were you seeing sub-MOA groups at 100 with Weatherby factory ammo? I'm talking BEFORE you decided to re-bed the rifle.

Presumably you have a torque wrench, and you are familiar with Weatherby's torque sequence and their torque specs?

Did you experiment with different torque on the action screws? Sometimes one can find a sweet spot.

You might want to haunt the Weatherby boards, and make inquiries about what pet loads people are seeing success with for your particular caliber Weatherby Magnum rifle.

Lastly--and you probably don't want to hear this--but the .300 Weatherby (for instance) isn't particularly efficient as a "tactical" rifle shooting one-ragged-hole groups, and if that is what you are looking for, you might want to reconsider. It has been designed to be a light, portable rifle an individual intent on hunting large game can take into the Idaho back country that can effectively push a hot slug through the shoulder-blade of a bull elk and fatally damage its heart. And for that purpose, a 3 inch circle of probability at 200 yards is perfectly adequate.

All the best.

Last edited:
What cal?
it is a 7 Wby mag, about 12 years old. Medium weight barrel. I have my fathers pre 64 Win 3006 I bedded the stock and put a 2.5 lb Timney trigger on it. with 168 gr bullet I have a 3/8 inch group at 100 yrds.. very happy with results. My 7 mag is my hunting rifle and I have shot a couple follow up shots and they go where I want., but shooting a four shot group the 7 sucks, so far. Working up some flat based bullets to give it the old college try one more time

If not, I would make darn sure what chamber specs they are using
belted mag, understand the specs, did a hash system with another shooter and my gunsmith, before I change barrel am going to try different bullets and a new powder and see if I can find a happy node

Start here

well lets see if his gun even has the proper prefix. New /used , cal
Ugh I have so many questions
How was free bore or leade measured.
I would be at minimum taking a bore scope and taking a look inside. Plus free bore will differ with different bullet ogive designs.
When measures that way.
we have scoped and measured 7 wby mag about 12 years old, we are looking at different bullets before I jerk this one out.. Taking a deep breath and load a ton more rounds.. hell Im retired, now have the time to do it right. Will keep you posted

Full disclosure.

I have a .300 Weatherby rifle. It reliably shoots .75 MOA 3-shot groups with Weatherby 180 grain spire-point factory ammunition, and my level of skill is such that I am able to replicate those groups.

I have noticed that it takes superb discipline to shoot an un-braked .300 Weatherby Magnum without flinching.

As the Weatherby rifle is intended for hunting large game, presumably you have a hunting scope on it, AND presumably that hunting scope's parallax is internally fixed at 100 yards, AND presumably that scope does not allow for parallax correction--so presumably you are doing your load testing at 100 yards. And presumably you understand parallax error.

Were you seeing sub-MOA groups at 100 with Weatherby factory ammo? I'm talking BEFORE you decided to re-bed the rifle.

Presumably you have a torque wrench, and you are familiar with Weatherby's torque sequence and their torque specs?

Did you experiment with different torque on the action bolts? Sometimes one can find a sweet spot.

You might want to haunt the Weatherby boards, and make inquiries about what pet loads people are seeing success with for your particular caliber Weatherby Magnum rifle.

Lastly--and you probably don't want to hear this--but the .300 Weatherby (for instance) isn't particularly efficient as a "tactical" rifle shooting one-ragged-hole groups, and if that is what you are looking for, you might want to reconsider. It has been designed to be a light, portable rifle an individual intent on hunting large game can take into the Idaho back country that can effectively push a hot slug through the shoulder-blade of a bull elk and fatally damage its heart. And for that purpose, a 3 inch circle of probability at 200 yards is perfectly adequate.

All the best.
understood. and I appreciate the feedback..am taking a breath to figure things out Will check wby boards. Good idea with the trrque bolts, I thank you for that

Start here…im also going to gander shot from a mechanical rest in a enclosed testing tunnel.
Does your rifle have the correct prefix to be “guaranteed”?
I would suggest trying some weatherby ammunition

All Weatherby® Mark V® rifles with a serial number prefix of “WY, PM and PS” and Vanguard® Series 2 rifles with a serial number prefix of “VB” are guaranteed to shoot a . 99″ or better 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby calibers) or Weatherby factory ammunition.
got one inch group guaranteed.. but have been using my reloads for past ten years.. so now am thinking its burn rate and seating depth but will play with different types of bullets and see if I can make this work. Appreciate the feedback, food for thought

we have scoped and measured 7 wby mag about 12 years old, we are looking at different bullets before I jerk this one out.. Taking a deep breath and load a ton more rounds.. hell Im retired, now have the time to do it right. Will keep you posted

I have a reliable, high-magnification scope in a Larue mount that I employ for load development.

My thinking is that if you can't SEE a quarter MOA you can't SHOOT a quarter MOA.

After you have your load worked up you can swap out the big glass for whatever is appropriate for the rifle.

All the best.

Round count would matter, especially being an older rifle. 7mm Weatherby Mag will get over 3,250 fps from 140's and I'd guess a lot of powder burning through the throat. IMHO only a lunatic puts tons of rounds through a lightweight 7mm Mag, but I guess it's possible. [laugh]

My Dad's old model 70 7mm Rem Mag would get 1.5 MOA at best. I did a lot of careful stock fitting, action torquing, and installed a Timney. It's sub MOA now.

Full disclosure.

Did you experiment with different torque on the action bolts? Sometimes one can find a sweet spot.

All the best.
Mac you read my mind dude.. Im reading his moa grouping n thinking to myself... weatherby... is his braked - what kinda rest is it in, is he a big guy - because that sumbitch will buck so hard you will NEVER keep yr eye in the realm of a follow up unless yr a god let alone hit where you planned to hit.

Mac you read my mind dude.. Im reading his moa grouping n thinking to myself... weatherby... is his braked - what kinda rest is it in, is he a big guy - because that sumbitch will buck so hard you will NEVER keep yr eye in the realm of a follow up unless yr a god let alone hit where you planned to hit.
That's one of the reasons the Timney and 2-stage reduced pull made a big difference. Factory higher pull weight plus some significant creep really magnifies any anticipation and flinching. The better trigger makes it easier to relax and keep your pulls consistent. People can say tough it out and one can do that, but at the end of the day if it's a lightweight rifle in one of these calibers and you shoot many rounds when wearing only a thin shirt- your shoulder is going to get a black bruise. 50 BMG pushes with more force but it's a slower push more like a shotgun and IMHO much easier to handle. The high velocity magnum rifle calibers have a quick and sharp recoil profile.

trigger is set a 2.7 lbs. I'm 6 ft 265 lbs just retired fire fighter, was in good shape till heart attack. Recoil has never bothered me, but I remember learning to shoot this off a bench, it was a beast compared to what I was shooting. I have a rifle rest my gunsmith made for me, nearly 25 lbs but I catch the recoil. Read where a guy had a lead sled and it broke a stock at the wrist. Anyway am pretty confident with my shooting skills that I know if I pulled one.

But once you learn to stoically surrender to recoil your shooting moves to a whole new level.

.308? Bitch, please.

lol.

Last edited:
trigger is set a 2.7 lbs. I'm 6 ft 265 lbs just retired fire fighter, was in good shape till heart attack. Recoil has never bothered me, but I remember learning to shoot this off a bench, it was a beast compared to what I was shooting. I have a rifle rest my gunsmith made for me, nearly 25 lbs but I catch the recoil. Read where a guy had a lead sled and it broke a stock at the wrist. Anyway am pretty confident with my shooting skills that I know if I pulled one.
Consider making up some dummy rounds, and having a friend load your 2nd or 3rd sting and swap in a dummy round (or two).

I made some up for a combat shotgun and I'm glad I did.

Flinch can be dealt with--but you have to know whether or not it is happening.

And watching your crosshairs hold steady as a rock while dropping the hammer on a dummy round in the chamber of magnum rifle is a beautiful feeling.

All Weatherby Magnum rifles have long lede. It is part of Weatherby's design. It is how he originally was able to accomplish the velocities of his Magnum cartridges.
So, was he loading one round at a time?

Because paying for a Weatherby and having a 1/2" gap that you can't reload for because the rounds won't fit in the mag is ridiculous.

push a hot slug through the shoulder-blade of a bull elk and fatally damage its heart. And for that purpose, a 3 inch circle of probability at 200 yards is perfectly adequate
Having a hard time seeing this. How are you hitting the heart if you are hitting the shoulder blade?

A 6.5cm will get the job done, a 300wby is not needed for this. And the 6.5 will do it shooting 1/2 MOA.

Back
Top Bottom