• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PM9 questions

I swear I'm the only person that hasn't had problems just slingshotting the slide. I did have a cracked magazine follower that caused jams- Kahr was quick to replace it although I wish the follower was metal. Get one without a safety if you can.

I wasn't able to slingshot when it was brand new, but now that it is well broken in I can. Occasionally I have to push the slide forward,but for the most part no issues.

I swear I'm the only person that hasn't had problems just slingshotting the slide. I did have a cracked magazine follower that caused jams- Kahr was quick to replace it although I wish the follower was metal. Get one without a safety if you can.

Using the overhand method, which is all I use except for maybe a MK III, I've had zero problems. If I was forced to use the slide release I wouldn't have kept it.

Ditto, same here. I have a Sig 938 on order. We'll see if that ends up giving the PM9 a run for its money or not once I receive it and get some time on the range with it.

--------------

A hint: I put a slip-over Hogue grip over the PM9 and it makes a world of difference wrt comfort shooting 50+ rds thru it.

Bumping this to see if your P938 came in and what you think of it compared to the PM9?

My PM9 eats 124 grain HST +P all day long. Haven't tried the 115's or 147's.

Just back from the range, the PM9 went through 100 rounds of HST 124gr with no issues. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the printing and I'm still occassionally experiencing rounds getting stuck on the feed lip when changing a mag with the slide closed, but these are all training issues and not a reflection of the quality of the PM9.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Just back from the range, the PM9 went through 100 rounds of HST 124gr with no issues. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the printing and I'm still occassionally experiencing rounds getting stuck on the feed lip when changing a mag with the slide closed, but these are all training issues and not a reflection of the quality of the PM9.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

The PM9 has a 200 rd break in period, I think. So just keep shooting it and it will eventually brake in.

Whenever I buy a new gun I polish the fu$k out of the feed ramp with Flitz polish.

The pm9 IMHO is the best carry gun I've ever owned. I carry appendix in a PJ holster with a j-hook belt loop so its easy on off and so light that you don't need a gun belt.

Talon grips help a great deal.

Good luck and keep shooting.

The PM9 has a 200 rd break in period, I think. So just keep shooting it and it will eventually brake in.

Whenever I buy a new gun I polish the fu$k out of the feed ramp with Flitz polish.

The pm9 IMHO is the best carry gun I've ever owned. I carry appendix in a PJ holster with a j-hook belt loop so its easy on off and so light that you don't need a gun belt.

This. I didn't even consider using the PM9 as a carry gun until I had finished running 200+ rounds of ball ammo followed by a minimum of 50 flawless rounds of carry ammo.

Make sure when you load the magazine the the bullets are pushed all the way back and "nose up". The first bullet has a tendency to work its way out and "nose down" in the process which can cause feed issues. This is my only gripe with Kahr.

Also, make sure you are using the slide release and not slig shotting the slide.

Make sure when you load the magazine the the bullets are pushed all the way back and "nose up". The first bullet has a tendency to work its way out and "nose down" in the process which can cause feed issues. This is my only gripe with Kahr.

Also, make sure you are using the slide release and not slig shotting the slide.
Change out the Kahr magazine followers for Lakeline followers and that problem is solved. The shape of the Lakeline followers ensures the round at the top has no room to wiggle.

Take an extra step with +5% magazine springs for the added tension.

Change out the Kahr magazine followers for Lakeline followers and that problem is solved. The shape of the Lakeline followers ensures the round at the top has no room to wiggle.

they shouldn't need this much tinkering....and I say this owning one. It's my Goldilocks summer carry between my BG380 and G19

Same size, MUCH better gun, MK9. Heavier, all made from steel, completely reliable.

Holy cow! $20 per follower is an obscene price to pay for a problem that the mfr should have addressed a long time ago!!

Holy cow! $20 per follower is an obscene price to pay for a problem that the mfr should have addressed a long time ago!!
New Kahr magazine follower made of plastic: $11.

New Lakeline magazine follower made of 6061 aluminum: $20.

Yes, Kahr should fix the shape of their followers, but the extra money is for a stronger construction that won't crack and will perform more reliably.

Thanks. To be clear, I have 900 rounds of target ammo through the gun, including about 300 rds of steel and 100 rds of HST 124gr; about half of that is with the new recoil spring and guide rod that Kahr sent. I haven't had a single problem inserting a new mag and chambering a round when the slide is locked back - whether it's using the release or over hand. I'm really struggling with the printing as a pocket carry, but I definitely consider the PM9 to be reliable and a great shooter for its size.

... I'm really struggling with the printing as a pocket carry, but I definitely consider the PM9 to be reliable and a great shooter for its size.

It is too large for pocket carry for some people. I'm not a big guy and I don't wear really loose fitting clothing, so I never pocket carry. But I don't care for pocket carry in general anyway. I've never found a gun that worked for me in that way - and I've owned a Seecamp.

It is too large for pocket carry for some people. I'm not a big guy and I don't wear really loose fitting clothing, so I never pocket carry. But I don't care for pocket carry in general anyway. I've never found a gun that worked for me in that way - and I've owned a Seecamp.

Suit pants with pleats work well, you just need pants with deep pockets and a good pocket holster. I don't like pocket carry either but there are times when it's either that or nothing.

The printing is hard to get over, but I've come to accept the fact that anyone who notices and actually knows what it is isn't likely to care, and anyone who cares won't notice. The pocket holster helps a little with breaking up the outline.

Only problem I have with it is the fact that I have the Mass model with the useless safety. The position of the safety causes it to rub against the inside of my thumb. Not a problem normally, but when I put the 200 break in rounds through it in one range trip it wore through the skin and left me with a cut.

Also need to get a new grip for it as suggested earlier in this thread.

If you have issues with printing while pocket carrying a pm9 you may want to try an Alabama Holster kydex pocket holster. I think it looks like a large smartphone in your pocket. People can see there is something bulky in your pocket but it doesn't scream gun. Hickok45 has a video on the Alabama front pocket holster.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

Suit pants with pleats work well, you just need pants with deep pockets and a good pocket holster. I don't like pocket carry either but there are times when it's either that or nothing.

My wife has told me that if I ever wear pleated pants agian that she would leave me. LOL,

First detailed cleaning after 1,000 rounds. Would you consider this normal wear? More concerned about what looks like chipping of a chrome barrel lining than the wear on the breech face.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_233142_908.jpg
    IMG_20161214_233142_908.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20161214_233434_278-1.jpg
    IMG_20161214_233434_278-1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
what type of ammo you running through it? how did you clean that breech face? the gunk on your breech face should come off with a copper wire brush just a few swipes. to me your barrel looks fine.

overall the kahr pistols tend to do very well over time with high round counts. this is remarkable for micro/tiny 9mm pistols as most of them fall apart quickly. if you're only at 1k rounds it's still very early. these guns can go countless thousands of rounds and do just fine.

what type of ammo you running through it? how did you clean that breech face? the gunk on your breech face should come off with a copper wire brush just a few swipes. to me your barrel looks fine.

overall the kahr pistols tend to do very well over time with high round counts. this is remarkable for micro/tiny 9mm pistols as most of them fall apart quickly. if you're only at 1k rounds it's still very early. these guns can go countless thousands of rounds and do just fine.

Mostly 115gr Federal brass, and maybe 300 rounds of Winchester steel-cased, then 100 rounds of 124gr HSTs. The gunk around the extractor and breech face corners was built up pretty good - I cleaned it with a solvent and copper brush as I normally do with other pistols, just with alittle more elbow grease required.

There's an actual lip on the inside of the barrel - I'll try to get a better pic. Everything does seem to function well, any problems I've had other than the guide rod I've chaulked up to operator error.

Last edited:
If you have issues with printing while pocket carrying a pm9 you may want to try an Alabama Holster kydex pocket holster. I think it looks like a large smartphone in your pocket. People can see there is something bulky in your pocket but it doesn't scream gun. Hickok45 has a video on the Alabama front pocket holster.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

I am partial to the Desantis Super Fly holster for all guns I pocket carry. The PM9 is my EDC.

I make sure that I test the pocket out before buying any pants and try and buy loose fit jeans and pants just to be safe.

I used to be paranoid about printing, but looking in the mirror and seeing pictures of myself, I can tell you that there is virtually no way for someone to pick out the fact that you are carrying. Even if they were looking for it. And most people (esp in MA) don't!

SSS, glad you got it.

I've had mine now for six years, and it was my first gun. Probably not the best choice for a newb with absolutely no experience. When I fist took it to the range, I had lots of issues, but later I learned that of course the issue wasn't the gun, but me not understanding the physics of how the thing operates, and limp wristing it. It absolutely will not run reliably without a firm grip and forearm.

Anyway, I also used it, because it was my only pistol, when I took a 3-day course with Rob Pincus, and other than being way down on mag count vs. the free state Glocks that were in attendance, it ran well. Well enough that even though Pincus doesn't like the PM9, he was at least impressed that it kept up and never had any issues, even after getting the buried-in-sand treatment. And I put about 1400 rounds of steel cased ammo through it at that class, and had no problems.

Safety is always off, and I've been using the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 for about two years now.

I also bought a sight-pusher and replaced the stock sights with fiber optic sights myself. Really not that hard.

Good luck with it.

Better pic. I don't know what their machining process is, but assuming it's some kind of chrome/nickel lining there is definitely some flaking.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OK. So I sent in my PM9 for warranty work due to the flaking on the lining of the chamber and the peening on the breech face (see above posts for pics). Keep in mind I've already had to contact Kahr about a faulty guide rod and i've been trying to resolve this latest issue for over a month. Initially I filled out the online Return Authorization (RA), as Kahr customer service recommended, but never received a response. I submitted a second online RA request - same result. After a couple of weeks I called and spoke to a tech who immediately gave me an RA number. I shipped it out last Saturday, at an out of pocket cost of $38 via FedEx. If you are planning on returning a Kahr pistol do not waste your time with their online forms; but I digress...

I received a call from a Kahr tech today. Nice guy. He said the barrel is obviously defective but that he'd never seen peening on a breech face that bad and the trigger pins were also failing. He indicated they would have to replace the whole gun, which was an outcome I was content with until he informed me they would be sending me a MA-compliant version complete with safety and loaded chamber indicator.

I had paid a premium for the "free state" version, so I informed him that I wasnt interested in that, but was told my only options were a new MA-compliant PM9 or the return of my old one which he had just described as the most f'd up Kahr he'd ever seen. I "chose" the former.

Now, I am fully aware that all firearm companies will occassionally produce a lemon, and my experience is probably not indicative of the quality of Kahrs as a whole, so take my experience for whatever it's worth...and watch the classified section in a couple of weeks for a nice and safe NIB PM9.

Back
Top Bottom