• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PM9 questions

Two things I didnt like:

The peasant model comes with an external safety thats very small and ackward, you need to break your grip to reach back far enough to manipulate it with your thumb. Sure, you could leave it off but if it gets turned on my accident it could cost you your life.

The slide doesn't lock back, on reload you'd have to rack the slide which under stress can be unsuccessful more often than most think.

The thumb safety is so awkward that it is not getting accidentally flipped on. That thing is hard to push even intentionally. Just ignore it, use a solid holster, and safe trigger discipline.

Kind of weird about that slide comment. Mine locks back just fine on an empty magazine everytime.

I like mine for pocket carry, in the aforementioned nemesis holster. I probably don't have enough rounds through it, but it has FTE'd on me a couple of times at the range. Still working the bugs out. I keep it around for the times when the G19 is out of the question, but I don't need what I'm carrying to be Bodyguard small. I never use the safety when I'm carrying it. With the massified trigger it has, it isn't needed

Mine is the free state model, no safety.

And the slide locks back just fine. Perhaps your hand is hitting the slide stop.

I have a MA version of the PM9 (with safety) and love it. It has been my EDC for a few years. Supposedly the safety version has a shorter reset on the trigger ('enhanced trigger') but I am not sure it is noticeable. G43 is a very good option too, but longer than the PM9. I am not sure how you plan on deep concealing, but you may want to consider the CW380 also, makes the PM9 feel like a brick!

I just picked up a free-state PM9 for pocket carry. I have 350 rounds through it and have been carrying it in a Desantis holster.

First off, it's accuracy is impressive for its size. I'm no Frederick Zoller but I can get the same groups from 10 yards with the PM9 that I can with some of my mid-size pistols.

Per the factory recommendation, I started off using the slide release for mag changes, but after the first few mags I unintentionally reverted back to over-hand racking. Regarding mag changes, no issues when the slide was locked back, but when closed I would experience the firrst round hitting the feed ramp and not loading; apparently I'm not pulling the slide back far enough.

The only other problem I'm having is getting accustomed to the trigger. If I try to put rounds down range fast, on a couple of occassions I've short-stroked the trigger. This is solely due to me being use to DA/SA triggers, but worth noting.

I'm slowly getting used to the printing, I'm probably going to try a Mika holster that a couple of knowledgable members have recommended. At the end of the day it's significantly bigger than my Bodygaurd 380, but it's so superior in accuracy there's really no comparison.

Last edited:
Never had this problem and do it from muscle memory without even thinking about it. I bought mine used, maybe it was broken in, don't know but it works like all the other pistols do.

Me either and i bought mine new. Its simple grab the slide pull it back let go. I've seen alot of people do this in slow motion and the nose gets stuck on the feedramp. Then i would explain to them that you have to rack it like a man and they were fine after that.

I'm a lefty so the slide release doesn't work for me. I've always just pulled back and released the slide and had no problem. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have put many rounds down range with the PM9.

Lefty also. I've never had a problem with this. I use the slingshot method every time. Have carried this gun as my EDC for five years and put ~ 100 rounds through it every range trip.

Only recently have I encountered any jamming issues toward the end of my range session. It could be the ammo that I am using b/c after a good cleaning it solved the issue until the tail end of the next session. Going to clean it up and try switching back to ammo I used to use.

The thumb safety is so awkward that it is not getting accidentally flipped on. That thing is hard to push even intentionally. Just ignore it, use a solid holster, and safe trigger discipline.

Kind of weird about that slide comment. Mine locks back just fine on an empty magazine everytime.

Yes, that safety is a bear to use. No way it "accidentally is flipped on"! I almost grabbed mine to check out the lock-back issue, as I never remembered that failing to happen either.

I have the MA version. Fantastic pistol. I'm always amazed how well I can place shots. That counts for a lot. When I'm at the range I actually WANT to practice with it.

The top cartridge in the mag does seem to want to work it's way forward. I don't carry a spare mag when I'm carrying with the PM9. If I were, I would imagine a fitting carrier would be necessary vs loose in the pocket.

As far as the slingshot deal goes. I get it. In order for something that small with as powerful a cartridge as 9x19 is, something had to give. The heavy spring that's necessary coupled with a short chamber simply means there's to many people that aren't going to have the combination of strength and technique to slingshot. Kahr chose to advise against it. I primarily use the slide release lever method anyways, but I would think choosing ammunition with short overall length once the gun is broken in may be the ticket. At the range mine functions fine with my 147 grain 1.160" hand loads just fine, but it gets holstered with really short defense rounds that I believe will have the least chance of issues.

Others have already said it, the safety is a non issue. It's doesn't protrude at all. Just leave it in the red and treat it as such.

Uh oh. Is this a common issue? The recoil spring retainer nut (?) unthreaded and is lost.

Attachments

• IMG_20160905_160245_450.jpg
    IMG_20160905_160245_450.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
One more +1... my EDC carry for the last few years and at the range I've never an issue with the slide, etc., and it always sits open when the mag is empty. The safety is also a non-issue for me. I do keep it in the black with the full mag of 6 (one in the chamber), understanding the safety would be one extra step I'd have to take. But my safety is well worn and oiled and I can easily get it into red without any effort.

Kahrs are too pricey .

I fired a PM9 and it is a fine gun. I thought of one instead of my Bodyguard 380 but the extra 4oz can be felt in the pocket. I gave up my 938 because of malfunctions. I went to 238 but decided I didn't want the 1911 type gun in my pocket. The Bodyguard being a great alternative. My Bodyguard has been flawless. I also like the double strike capability which came into play one time.[/QUOTE]

I have the Glock 26 and the BG380. both have been flawless.
Kahrs are too pricey ....the cost of both guns is the same as one PM9 here in massachusetts!(cheapest one I've seen is $699 plus tax)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, the pm9 checkering is a bit aggressive for my tastes. I put Talon grips on mine when I bought it and love them.

Part coming off,.....Yes , happened to me while cleaning.
Had to get a new part from Kahr.
I recommend thread lock if yours is loose.
New ones need a break in period.
Other than that, it's been flawless.

At Sig Sauer Shooter, what are your thoughts? Can anyone compare the pocket size to a Sig P238?

Now that I have 400 rounds of WWB through my PM9 with new guide rod assembly, it's time to consider defense ammo. I generally try to put atleast 100 rounds of defense ammo through a carry gun before I trust it, and given the cost of doing this recommendations beforehand would be appreciated.

Now that I have 400 rounds of WWB through my PM9 with new guide rod assembly, it's time to consider defense ammo. I generally try to put atleast 100 rounds of defense ammo through a carry gun before I trust it, and given the cost of doing this recommendations beforehand would be appreciated.

Try Gold Dots and HST.

At Sig Sauer Shooter, what are your thoughts? Can anyone compare the pocket size to a Sig P238?
I had a P238 that I carried on my ankle, I sold it to fund my PM9 purchase. I'm even using the same ankle holster, lol. I'm really liking the new gun, I think I made a good choice. Thanks again to everybody for your input!

I swear I'm the only person that hasn't had problems just slingshotting the slide. I did have a cracked magazine follower that caused jams- Kahr was quick to replace it although I wish the follower was metal. Get one without a safety if you can.

Back
Top Bottom