PM9 questions

^ before you blame Kahr, as a MA manufacturer, consider they're only trying to comply with the bullshit MA LCI/safety law. You should have asked if they could ship it to you at a NH or other state address.

I'm not blaming them for having to adhere to the bs MA gun laws, and I think I did a pretty good job of detailing my experience without shitting on their products. I tried multiple options, including asking them to simply reimburse me for their cost rather than shipping a gun I didn't want - they were not receptive to any options I suggested.

OK. So I sent in my PM9 for warranty work due to the flaking on the lining of the chamber and the peening on the breech face (see above posts for pics). Keep in mind I've already had to contact Kahr about a faulty guide rod and i've been trying to resolve this latest issue for over a month. Initially I filled out the online Return Authorization (RA), as Kahr customer service recommended, but never received a response. I submitted a second online RA request - same result. After a couple of weeks I called and spoke to a tech who immediately gave me an RA number. I shipped it out last Saturday, at an out of pocket cost of $38 via FedEx. If you are planning on returning a Kahr pistol do not waste your time with their online forms; but I digress...

I received a call from a Kahr tech today. Nice guy. He said the barrel is obviously defective but that he'd never seen peening on a breech face that bad and the trigger pins were also failing. He indicated they would have to replace the whole gun, which was an outcome I was content with until he informed me they would be sending me a MA-compliant version complete with safety and loaded chamber indicator.

I had paid a premium for the "free state" version, so I informed him that I wasnt interested in that, but was told my only options were a new MA-compliant PM9 or the return of my old one which he had just described as the most f'd up Kahr he'd ever seen. I "chose" the former.

Now, I am fully aware that all firearm companies will occassionally produce a lemon, and my experience is probably not indicative of the quality of Kahrs as a whole, so take my experience for whatever it's worth...and watch the classified section in a couple of weeks for a nice and safe NIB PM9.

I would press Kahr to supply the identical (free state) version and let them know that the Mass AG enforcement notice dated May 2000 specifically exempts repairs or service (which is consistent with the federal regs). Glock used to take the same position, but I have had people tell me that they know of situations where Glock has recently provided the gen 4 version as a warranty replacement.

If the product defect necessitates the supply of a new handgun with new serial number, they should supply the same model.

Here is the AG enforcement notice.

View attachment mass ag enforcement notice 2 may 2000.pdf

I always suggest to try the trigger before committing to one. If it's sweet, you'll love the gun. If it's heavy, and they've started making them heavier than they used to a few years back, pass.

The trigger is already very long, and the weight they used to be was more than sufficient, but probably due to political pressure they raised the stock weight the last few years and it's not an easy gun to drop the trigger weight in.

Back
Top Bottom