PM9 questions

Yes. Mine is in my pocket as I type this. It replaced my S&W 642. The PM9 conceals better than the 642, it is easier to shoot quickly and accurately, it has larger capacity, and it is easier to reload quickly. It does have a much longer reset than a Glock.

If I was looking to replace it, I would look at the Glock 43, but I think the PM9 is still smaller, and size matters a lot for pocket carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't like mine, it no longer leaves the safe. If you carry a spare mag be careful because rounds tend to pop out. When the gun runs, it is a nice shooter, but I don't trust it so I don't carry it. If you don't lock the slide back before inserting a mag my gun jams. I don't like that I can't pop in a mag and just rack the slide like I do with every other semi-auto I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Mine is in my pocket as I type this. It replaced my S&W 642. The PM9 conceals better than the 642, it is easier to shoot quickly and accurately, it has larger capacity, and it is easier to reload quickly. It does have a much longer reset than a Glock.

If I was looking to replace it, I would look at the Glock 43, but I think the PM9 is still smaller, and size matters a lot for pocket carry.

Ditto, same here. I have a Sig 938 on order. We'll see if that ends up giving the PM9 a run for its money or not once I receive it and get some time on the range with it.

--------------

A hint: I put a slip-over Hogue grip over the PM9 and it makes a world of difference wrt comfort shooting 50+ rds thru it.

I have one and its the only pocket pistol Ive owned, so I cant compare it to anything else really. I pocket carry in a Desantis nemesis (I think) holster when I need 99% concealment. I feel it conceals really well.

Never had any malfs that I can recall. However, I can second a couple of issues mentioned already...

- rounds tend to want to work their way out of a spare mag carried in a pocket. Often at the end of the day I'll take the mag out of my pocket and the round is kind of dangling on the feed lips by the rim. Would make for an interesting reload in a life or death situation. A couple of times the first round has worked its way out entirely and was rolling around in my pocket.

-a Hogue grip makes a huge difference in comfort. Its really the only pistol that I have added something to the grip for comfort reasons.

-long trigger pull and reset. I have literally had nightmares a couple of times (no joke) of having to draw and fire at someone trying to get at me and the trigger just keeps going further back and back with no bang, lol.

-I was told by a gunsmith the sights are installed with a press at the factory. This was after pounding the crap out of mine without them budging while trying to switch out the factory sights for night sights. Gunsmith declined to work on mine and suggested I send it to Kahr.

-I find it to be very accurate for such a small pistol. I can get decent groups (for me) at say 30 feet or less, which is within the range where I would expect to have to use it. I never really tried to shoot farther with it so who knows beyond that.

Love mine. It is one of two "EDC" firearms that I use, the other being a Glock 30S. The Glock goes with me when I can reliably conceal it and the PM9 goes with me when concealing is tough. Follow Kahr's recommendation for breaking it in. Ball ammo runs flawlessly for me and Hornady self-defense ammo also runs flawlessly. I'll be testing it soon with Federal 124 gr HST +P ammo.

I had a PM9 until one day I tried to shoot it and got a light strike, over and over, and was unable to fire a round. I disassembled it and found a piece of pocket lint in the striker channel. I immediately sold it and replaced it with a p938 (hammer fired).

I can't trust a gun with my life if a piece of lint can disable it and require complete disassembly to fix.

I have owned one for quite some time.

- A little finicky with ammo
- Trigger pull is smooth, but LONG.
- To me its on the bigger end of pocket carry, along with the G43 (see below).

I ended up replacing it with a Glock 43, purely because I compete with a Glock 17 so I wanted the two triggers to be the same so I cam maximize my training in the limited amount of time I have by not having to relearn aspects of a different gun. Know what I mean?

I really like mine a lot. I typically carry it when I need max concealability/lightest carry option (either dressed up, or summer shorts and t-shirt). In both cases, I carry it in a Crossbreed Super-tuck. The holster does a great job of distributing the weight (practically unnoticeable), and is comfortable, even when worn directly against the skin.

I have the version without the safety, which is nice, as it doesn't require that I think about different manual of arms between that and my Glocks or HK P30SK (LEM). As mentioned, it does prefer that you lock the slide back, insert a mag , and release the slide to chamber a round. Different, but it doesn't bother me, as I do the first one at the house, and in a situation where I was using it, where it really matters, the slide is likely to be already locked back for a mag change/reload.

I find it to be very shootable, and surprisingly accurate for a pistol of its size. I've also found it to feed all my ammo, both ball and defensive, very reliably.

Chris

My pm9 has been my edc for three years now. I have the free state model
Also and i couldent be any happier with it. I shoot it every time i go to the range its reliable accurate and just fun to shoot.

Kahr triggers are unique, more like a revolver. The travel is long, as is the reset, neither of which I consider to be a bad thing for a carry gun. Pull weight, while revolver like, does not stack and is very consistent front to back. I can pocket carry a PM9, the G43 is too big for my pockets.

Also, I forgot to mention the safety...

Mine has the safety, but its sort of rounded off. (I assume to reduce the possibility of it getting snagged on something while the gun is being drawn) Ive seen people comment that having a safety on a carry gun is a possible liability due to it being accidentally engaged. In my experience, Ive never had this happen and further because of it being rounded off, its actually a bit difficult to intentionally engage/disengage.

I carry with the safety off so its not an issue for me, just wanted to add that I dont really see any issue with the safety being engaged accidentally if you have a MA version gun.

I have the pm9 with night sights, it's been more than a few years and never an issue with it. It's in my pocket 6 days a week and i haven't found a better pocket setup.
The rounds can come out the the extra mag though, some times it happens if I'm crawling around but for the most part it's not an issue.

I've had zero problems with mine when using the 6 round Mags. The 7 rounders have been problematic and I don't bother with them. It's accurate for its size. I like the trigger. It's stiff enough to be safe as a carry gun but easy enough that you aren't squeezing to hard and being thrown off target, being a small gun and all. I added pierce finger extensions to my Mags and have a better grip. As far as concealment goes, this was the gun I was finally happy with. Small enough to carry in your front pocket. Also small enough for IWB carry if you don't feel like going up a pants size, wearing weird shirts and looking like a sloppy mess. I don't like the safety but it's not a deal breaker.

I like my PM9 now that I replaced the mag followers and mag springs on all my 6 and 7 rounders. Metal followers with a steeper angle and +5% springs made a huge difference. No more feed jams. No more rounds popping out of holstered mags. And that's after 100s of rounds at the range with no issues.

BUT... Not sure I'd go this route again if I had to start over since it doubles the cost of each magazine. Probably would have gone with a Shield or G43.

I just picked up an MK9 and love it...but it's a bit heavy to pocket carry. I grabbed a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB holster for it.

I've had one for a few years now and I pocket carried it for a while. I've swapped it out in the summer for a smaller P3AT, but will go back to the PM9 as the cooler months come around.

I don't like mine, it no longer leaves the safe. If you carry a spare mag be careful because rounds tend to pop out. When the gun runs, it is a nice shooter, but I don't trust it so I don't carry it. If you don't lock the slide back before inserting a mag my gun jams. I don't like that I can't pop in a mag and just rack the slide like I do with every other semi-auto I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto, same here. I have a Sig 938 on order. We'll see if that ends up giving the PM9 a run for its money or not once I receive it and get some time on the range with it.

Did you read the manual? When you insert a new mag the manual says don't use the sling shot method, use the slide release. If you don't - the gun will jam.

I hate that mine wouldn't fire when I'd rack the slide. Itd only fire only when you drop the slide with the release. It would light primer strike every time I racked the slide. Called kahr and they said that's normal. On a carry gun it should fire every time no matter how the round is chambered. In a serious situation having to lock the slide back and use the release is no good at all if there's a malfunction.

No idea why, but here it is from the manual...

Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back
using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the
Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the
barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back
on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may
cause the slide to not go fully into battery.

Page 16,

https://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

I hate that mine wouldn't fire when I'd rack the slide. Itd only fire only when you drop the slide with the release. It would light primer strike every time I racked the slide. Called kahr and they said that's normal. On a carry gun it should fire every time no matter how the round is chambered. In a serious situation having to lock the slide back and use the release is no good at all if there's a malfunction.

Never had this problem and do it from muscle memory without even thinking about it. I bought mine used, maybe it was broken in, don't know but it works like all the other pistols do.

I'm a lefty so the slide release doesn't work for me. I've always just pulled back and released the slide and had no problem. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have put many rounds down range with the PM9.

Great gun, terrible magazine's. They are the Achilles of the Kahr. You'll discover rounds pointed towards the sky. FTF, FTE issues etc. I had a baseplate slide off and 6 rounds spill out on the ground once while in a checkout line.

Loved the look and feel but replaced it with a g43 due to the mag issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Because some people just can't let go and ride the slide forward, slowing it down and causing a misfeed. Kahr is just trying to dummy proof things.

60% of the time it works everytime.

Did it a couple of times with no problem.

I fired a PM9 and it is a fine gun. I thought of one instead of my Bodyguard 380 but the extra 4oz can be felt in the pocket. I gave up my 938 because of malfunctions. I went to 238 but decided I didn't want the 1911 type gun in my pocket. The Bodyguard being a great alternative. My Bodyguard has been flawless. I also like the double strike capability which came into play one time.

I've had a PM9 for 3+ years and it is rock solid. Easiest conceal gun I have owned (owned LC9 and P938). The more I reflect on it, I can't think of one think of one problem I've had with it.

I've had a PM9 for 3+ years and it is rock solid. Easiest conceal gun I have owned (owned LC9 and P938). The more I reflect on it, I can't think of one think of one problem I've had with it.

Same here. Love it.

I looked at them when buying a "deep carry" option. Two things I didnt like:

The peasant model comes with an external safety thats very small and ackward, you need to break your grip to reach back far enough to manipulate it with your thumb. Sure, you could leave it off but if it gets turned on my accident it could cost you your life.

The slide doesn't lock back, on reload you'd have to rack the slide which under stress can be unsuccessful more often than most think.

It does have a nice trigger and it is small, wish HK would make something similar and take it to the next level. The Glock is too big for pocket carry IMO, its has a big footprint for a .380.

I ended up getting the P238, added the ambi-safety and carry it cocked and locked in a galco leather pocket holster. It is smaller and most importently lighter than the 9mm, in the pocket lightweight is key for EDC. The micro-gun market in mass is small unless you want to go with a lesser tier firearm like a bodyguard, which just has way too many problems for my liking. If you can get your hands on an LCP thats a decent firearm for the money and definitly fits the role.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom