PIN needed to purchase a firearm?

I haven't bought a firearm in well over 5 years.

I have a valid LTC here in Massachusetts. Last time I bought one I remember showing my LTC, going through the background process, scanning my fingerprint and also remember something about a PIN. I have no idea what my PIN is or where I put it, do we still need that to complete a transaction? If so, how do I get another PIN?

You can call CJIS with your DL and LTC in hand and they will guve you your pin over the phone. (DL is used as a authenticity thing).

Fingerprint on MIRCS is dead and has been for years, its all pin only now on dealer sales and EFA10 stuff.

-Mike

Out of curiosity, why did they get rid of the fingerprint scan? Reliability issues?
Mythbusters did an episode where they successfully pulled a print off of a dead guys finger and got it to read, MA caught wind and went into panic mode. The dems was dead people voting, not buying guns! The whole system was flawed. Readers never worked.

Gave the hack gov employees something to do, now everyone is calling and asking, "what's my PIN?"
They used it as a talking point! "Adding pins is an economic boost! We added X amount of full time jobs just at the lost pin call center"

The designers never thought through the implications of maintaining a driver and software compatibility across OS versions for a relatively obscure peripheral. Many second-tier manufacturers are not committed to spending the $$ to develop drivers for hardware no longer extant (though HP does). I have a nice little dye-sublimation Olympus printer that was completely abandoned software wise when 64 bin windows came out. Last thing I'll ever buy from Olympus.

The designers never thought through the implications of maintaining a driver and software compatibility across OS versions for a relatively obscure peripheral. Many second-tier manufacturers are not committed to spending the $$ to develop drivers for hardware no longer extant (though HP does). I have a nice little dye-sublimation Olympus printer that was completely abandoned software wise when 64 bin windows came out. Last thing I'll ever buy from Olympus.
As Rob points out, the mfr abandoned the state-authorized fingerprint reader back ~Win XP, no drivers means it didn't work with the newer Win OS. It also accumulated oils from our fingers and was very difficult to keep working properly (required frequent cleaning which dealers didn't do. So it was abandoned by the state and PIN instituted instead.

Like Rob, I had a great network color inkjet printer from Lexmark . . . no support for updated Win OS and it became a doorstop.

Every time I used the finger print thing whatever shop I was at was surprised it worked. Always worked the first time for me, but they always claimed the things never worked.

Out of curiosity, why did they get rid of the fingerprint scan? Reliability issues?

Something about the scanner not being compatible with the newer versions of windows and they didn’t want to pay to fix the problem because they would’ve had to buy everybody a new fingerprint scanner and then probably fix a bunch of stuff in the software not to mention it was always an unreliable piece of shit anyways.....

HP does not always do this.... I have a set of printers at work that basically in order to use it in windows we had to hackney an older driver for a different printer to work with it....At least it was possible to actually do it though where as some of the stupid GDI printers basically just leave you in an alley when the OS upgrades.... As a general rule you want something that takes postscript directly, even if they stop supporting it there is usually a way you can get it to work..... Printers without network ports in them are also very suspect....

I haven't bought a firearm in well over 5 years.

I have a valid LTC here in Massachusetts. Last time I bought one I remember showing my LTC, going through the background process, scanning my fingerprint and also remember something about a PIN. I have no idea what my PIN is or where I put it, do we still need that to complete a transaction? If so, how do I get another PIN?

See in as other posters answered your other questions I can add the following.

The PIN number comes on the letter with your license. You can save the letter, take a picture of the letter with your phone, or enter it as a contact in your phone.

Bob

Take a picture of the letter that contains the PIN with your phone. Save the picture as a favorite. It's always there.

i forgot my pin a while back while trying to buy something at 4 seasons. walked across the parking lot to the police station, saw the folks who handle the licenses, and walked out with a copy of the letter with my pin on it. back to 4 seasons doing paperwork 15 minutes later.

I’m gonna to cry when I can no longer get my HP Laserjet 4 Plus to work with new OS’s

That'll never happen, as long as you have a network card in it. (the USB to paralell adapters that are on the market are pretty horrendous). Those printers will print with JetDirect and PCL or PS... which works in everything, and even with a bunch of wrong drivers. Most people end up tossing them though because after you hit about 250-280,000 pages the upper register assembly starts turning the output into an accordion jam...

My dad is still running his HP Laserjet 5M that he got in the late 90s? I forget. Same box basically, different clothing on the outside.

-Mike

This sounds like discrimination, what about all those street gangs with no PIN? How are they supposed to get their "ghats" with all this red tape. Oh ya, they'll just buy it on the streets, my bad...Have fun obeying the laws plebs..

Gave the hack gov employees something to do, now everyone is calling and asking, "what's my PIN?"

At the last Marlboro show there was a “Pin Table” just beyond the entrance on the left. There were two people sitting there when we came into the show. Anyone want to bet they were getting OT plus a weekend differential?

So much fail in the LTC system.

Take a picture of the letter that contains the PIN with your phone. Save the picture as a favorite. It's always there.

Save your PIN in your phone contact list.

Exactly what I do

But... remember to delete your old one. I forgot to and pulled up my PIN at Mass Firearms, on my phone. I had just purchased a new rifle a month prior and was like WTF. So I called and they gave it to me. I entered it into my phone only to discover I already stored it as PIN. My old one was stored as LTC PIN. Kid at the counter laughed at me ( rightly so ). I said STFU and give me my stuff.

Back
Top Bottom