• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Para Problems (Updated & continuing)

This isn't Para related, but it is a customer service example.

I had a problem with a Henry .22 I bought for my nephew. The bolt allowed a little gas blowback when shooting less than 40 grain bullets.

I called Henry. They said to return it to the dealer, which I did.

The next morning I received a phone call from the President of Henry Inc., asking me what my problem was, and how he could help to fix it.

He sent a replacement rifle out express that same day, and two days later I had it in my hand.

He said they only had the problem with bulk pack remington golden ammo, and that seemed to be true.

He told me I could keep the first rifle if I wanted to, as they stood behind their products.

I returned it anyway, and received another call from the company president, checking to make sure I was happy.

None of this cost me anything for shipping, back and forth, and they even paid my dealer for the transfers.

That's my idea of good response to a customer's problem

Too bad about all these problems. My two Paras have been nothing less than perfect. Reading this, now I wonder if I was stupid for selling a working one...

As for that Colt Defender, I replaced all the parts mentioned, checked for clearance, got new mags. I'm an engineer, and I love to tinker. But I just couldn't win...

Too bad about all these problems. My two Paras have been nothing less than perfect. Reading this, now I wonder if I was stupid for selling a working one...

+1 My para has been flawless in operation, and everyone who I let shoot that gun is surprised at how easy it is to shoot well. I wouldn't say you were stupid for selling a working one, but rather the other have had the misfortune of owning ones that aren't working correctly!

sounds like a change

I would guess that the factory made a minor change somewhere and
did not understand the overall impact> The guns sold prior worked
just fine and obviously those after have the problem.

Just a guess.

JimB

Update. George Wedge from Para called me today. They are replacing my SSP with a new one. Mr. Wedge tells me that he personally guarantees it's proper functioning. Sounds good to me. I will keep you guys updated.

Update: So, I had sent my SSP back to Para on 2/9. George Wedge had not only offered to replace my defective SSP, but vowed he would personally inspect the gun to find out why it had failed and also stated that he would personally test fire my new gun to make sure it worked right. He did caution me that it might take 2 -3 weeks to get me a new one.

On 2/26 I emailed him to check on the status, but received no reply. On Friday 3/9 I called, but he was out for the day. Today I called again and got him. He did not remember who I was. When I refreshed his memory regarding the broken slide stop he was incredulous that I had not received my new slide stop until I reminded him that he had promised me a new gun. He then pointed out that I had shipped the gun to Tennessee and that he was in Canada. He was surprised that I had not received my new gun and promised me that he would call down to check the status and get right back to me. Somehow I think that he may notbe actually test firing my new gun. I guess “personally” was just a figure of speech.

More to come!

I've got an early P14. Lots of failures to feed, typically towards the end of a magazine. I've replaced the followers and mag springs, but no luck there. After a few thousand rounds, the hammer started following the slide down. Off to a gunsmith for a new hammer, sear, and disconnector. Now, the slide stop notch in the slide is deformed.

Perhaps newer Paras are higher quality than my P14. But I'm not a fan.

The S&W is a single-stack and, thus, not comparable.

In this case a single stack that isn't broken would be vastly superior to any
double stack that is broken. [rofl] What good is something that
dispenses 10 plus bullets if its incapable of dispensing ONE?

All I can say is its a damn good thing a Para is typically a 1911... at
least you can get them fixed by a typical smith (with better parts) if needed.
I was thinking about getting a P14 LTD but the feedback I'm seeing in this
thread isn't encouraging. (And this isn't the only Para bashing I've
seen/heard of, either. )

-Mike

I must be lucky. Only problem I ever had with my P10 they fixed promptly (sent it off on Monday, got it back on Thursday!), and I've never had any problems with my P12.

I'd buy another Para in a heartbeat. If only they had made the CWX9R Mass-compliant. [frown]

Actually the SSP (PX745E) is a regular single stack 1911. Executive's comment was because I acquired a S&W 1911PD from him, which I must say is an excellent pistol. Wise ass (LOL!).

George Wedge called back today and left a message. The guys down in Tennessee did not forget me. In his words; "They just never got around to it."
However, they are on it now and I should get something sometime next week. I feel blessed!

I must be lucky as well.... My ParaCarry 6.45 LDA is the nicest single stack compact .45 I've ever owned, (and I've owned a few). It's also surprisingly accurate for it's size. The only problem I had with it really wasn't a problem. I quickly noticed that they shipped it with two 7-round magazines...Lucky me...

As for being discouraged by what's been presented here being "discouraging" dgrant, you'd better stay away from Smith and Wesson as well then. In fact, you should stay away from everything from A-Z, as I can dig up discouraging threads about most any firearm. No gun manufactrer is immune from pooping out a lemon from time to time...... I think you'd be quite happy with a ParaOrdinance LDA-14....if not, I'll take it....[smile]

Is this George Wedge?

View attachment 496

The whole Paras Suck, Smith & Wessons Suck, Colts Suck... argument reminds me of a bunch of guys debating about Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. Yeah, they all suck, but someone has to buy them and once in a while youn get one that works.

Last edited:
Is this George Wedge?

View attachment 496

The whole Paras Suck, Smith & Wessons Suck, Colts Suck... argument reminds me of a bunch of guys debating about Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. Yeah, they all suck, but someone has to buy them and once in a while youn get one that works.

LOL...I've loved and hated em all...Keep the ones that work....[smile]

As for being discouraged by what's been presented here being "discouraging" dgrant, you'd better stay away from Smith and Wesson as well then.

IMO if this was an S+W, the OP wouldn't be getting jerked around
nearly as much... He'd at least have a functioning gun by
now. Although adweisbe's report of fun with S+W CS is
certainly enlightening on that front.

In fact, you should stay away from everything from A-Z, as I can dig up discouraging threads about most any firearm. No gun manufactrer is immune from pooping out a lemon from time to time...... I think you'd be quite happy with a ParaOrdinance LDA-14....if not, I'll take it....[smile]

I know the score... everyone is bound to get a lemon... but that bent
slide stop..... that one was just a LITTLE over the top. Who the hell
would let that be sent to a customer? Is it too much to ask to receive
a replacement part thats actually made to some sort of a
specification?

It seems that shitty CS/QC these days among gun manufacturers is starting
to become the rule rather than the exception, unless your product is
made by a custom house, etc. Even companies like SIGARMS are
starting to bite the big one. There was a time when their guns were
nearly infalliable; and the dud rate was low... now the P220 dud rate is
catching up to the low end 1911s.

-Mike

Last edited:
I hear ya - QC seems to be going down the crapper a lot more these days with a lot of companies. Thankfully S&W has great customer service. I've always had good luck with ParaOrd - customer service has been top shelf for me, but I think maybe their production got bigger than their ability to QC. I saw it happen to Vector and a few others. No excuse though. When you buy a new gun - whether it's a hundred bucks or a thousand - it should go bang.

I'm the same way about quads - I ride what I like, (Arctic Cat), you come riding with me on a Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, whatever, you won't hear me talk smack at all, (unless I'm winching you out)... I like em all.

There's very few guns out there that if I had the money, I wouldn't buy. In the 41+ years I've been on the planet, I've had my share of duds from a broad spectrum of makers. Like I said - no one is immune.... And I do think that the OP is due a gun or resolution post-haste....

I take back everything I have ever said about S&W being at least willing to repair it for free. They are refusing to repair a gun I just bought used because the previous owner had an action job done to it. The issue is with extraction which has nothing to do with the aftermarket work done. To hell with S&W! The only company left in this hole is SVI.

Written on Friday 3/23

So I guess at this point I am pretty upset. Not really angry, but disappointed. I could call Para again and speak to George, but I figure I might as well just vent and let it go. Here is the chronology of events and why I am so upset.
Jan. 26: Purchased new Para SSP PX745E
Jan. 27: Shot it and slide stop broke. I posted frustration.
Jan. 29: I emailed Para customer support and wrote (and emailed) a letter to Ted Szabo expressing that this was my 3rd. Para that was defective. I then called and spoke to customer service and they said they would send out a new slide stop. I asked for rush delivery and was told that the policy is strictly regular delivery.
Feb. 5: New slide stop arrives. No response to my emails or letter yet. I attempt to install new slide stop and discover that it is bent. I email Para.
Feb. 6: Feb. 7: At 11:42 AM I post on 1911 Forum with photos. At 4:46 PM George Wedge replies and promises to take care of it. (“Well, there certainly is no debate required as to whether or not this is acceptable on any level. Goose, I will be in contact with you shortly, and promise to have this resolved post haste. Our sincere apologies for your having to deal with this.”)
Feb. 7: Derrick from Para calls and tells me he will send me another new slide stop, regular delivery. About an hour later George Wedge calls and tells me that he is going to simply give me a new gun. We have a very nice talk. He tells me that he wants to examine the problem gun to figure out why the slide stop broke. He also tells me that he will "personally" test fire my new gun to guarantee that it works properly and promises that he will let me know why the original gun was defective. He also cautions me that it will take 2-3 weeks to get my new gun. No problem. I am a happy guy.
Feb. 9: Gun goes back to Para.
Feb 26: I email George just to get an update. No response.
March 9: I call George, but he is out.
March 12: I call and speak to George. He claims to remember me, but when I tell him about the broken slide stop he is incredulous that I have not received a new slide stop in so long a time. I remind him that he promised me a new gun. I tell him that I shipped my gun back to him and he corrects me and points out that I shipped it to their plant in the US not to him in Canada. He tells me that he certainly does not know what the US plant is doing, but that he can call and find out.
March 13: I receive a voice mail from George. He called the US plant and they will ship the gun out that week and I will receive it the next week. His final words are; (direct quote) “They did not forget about it they just have not gotten around to it”.
March 23: So it is Friday, end of day and I am getting ready to leave the office. No gun this week.

So, why am I perturbed? It is almost 2 months from date of purchase and I have no gun. George assured me that he would “personally” test fire my gun. I guess that was just a figure of speech, because the gun is shipping out from (I think) Tennessee and he is in Canada. Supposedly it shipped last week to arrive this week. I have initiated every contact in this whole process. This is my 3rd. defective Para and from my viewpoint I have received no customer service at all. No doubt I will eventually receive my new gun, but at this point I really do not care. I will sell it immediately as I have no desire to own a gun from Para Ordnance. I could include even more detail in this story, but I believe I have written enough. I am one extremely dissatisfied customer and since Para obviously does not care I am venting to you guys, the buying public. I am not really interested in hearing from you guys who have great working Para's or received great customer service. I have experienced neither. I am disgusted.

Goose, I'm sorry you have been treated so shabbily. There lack of responsive, appropriate customer service is going to kill their business.

I have only owned one Para -- a P12 .45 I bought used. Even after I sent it back to Para for a free inspection and repair, it never ran right. Not being one to linger, I cut my losses and sold that S.O.B.!

I'm surprised at Para's apparent utter failure to make your pistol operable. The delay is simply inexcusable.

I would detail the problem as you did above, but put it in WRITING and send to to Para's president.
George is obvously not to be relied upon.

I'm surprised at Para's apparent utter failure to make your pistol operable. The delay is simply inexcusable.

I would detail the problem as you did above, but put it in WRITING and send to to Para's president.
George is obvously not to be relied upon.

Good advice. Thank you,.

As you know, any company can have a problem. How that company addresses the problem is the test of how good a company they are.

I have had problems with different firearms over the years and I must say, the treatment you are getting is the poorest I have ever seen.

I would do the following:

1. Take Scrivners advice on the letter.

2. Send an e mail to the Customer service department detailing the correspondence and the fact you have lost total faith in the company. I would also link to this thread.

Once upon a time, a friend of mine had a severe malfunction with some ammo on a Colt 1911. The ammo company, for one reason or another, would not stand behind the product and pay to have the firearm repaired. When they realized the public was finding out about the problem on an Internet Forum, they addressed the problem as they should have in the first place.

Para Ordinance, as a company, should address this problem and make it right.

I am interested in the final outcome.

Back
Top Bottom