• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 60 problems

I have a marlin 60 with a bolt problem. The bolt is "sticky". I completely stripped it and cleaned it an re assembled it and now it won't close completely without me forcing it. I have tried cleaning it again, adding grease to see if it will ride smoother an I replaced the bolt spring, still won't cycle effectively. Any ideas?

Does it have one of those self-adjusting chambers so it can run a .22L or .22s?
Those things slide in and out and get gunked up with lead and carbon and get stuck

*Nope I just googled.

Is it a pre Remington manufactured rifle.
Ejection wire can cause issues
Bolt catch/lock
Clean it again

22s dont need a lot of lube , you really only need enough to prevent rust. More lube than that just collects that 22lr fouling and turns it slurry that gets into everything.

im a model 60 fan have a few and many parts for the older ones, my newest one is probably mid 80s production. The ejector spring is a problem if it get bent out of position.

View: https://youtu.be/VbKR0xCOa2Q

Last edited:
Does it have one of those self-adjusting chambers so it can run a .22L or .22s?
Those things slide in and out and get gunked up with lead and carbon and get stuck

*Nope I just googled.
Self adjusting chamber? I like 22s and I never seen any adjusters for 22s to 22lr
Seems like a failure waiting to happen though

Self adjusting chamber? I like 22s and I never seen any adjusters for 22s to 22lr
Seems like a failure waiting to happen though
I'm not a rifle aficionado, but I've seen a few. I think I saw a Savage with one. The old Remington 550's definitely have them, I fixed a sear for one of my friends on one of those. I imagine there are others.

Back
Top Bottom