• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Para Expert Carry

Another person for the pig pile....next

just curious you guys, which models did you all own and what were the issues, just interested is all.

I have 2, and personal experience with a 3rd, that I think demonstrate both ends of Para's quality spectrum.

First one is a mid 90's P14-45 Limited that I bought new. I've had two issues ever with that one. In the first 200 rounds, the pivot pin on the adjustable rear sight started walking out. Fixed that with the tools I had at the range, never happened since. There is also one particular 200gr SWC bullet that it does not like to feed, so I don't buy that bullet anymore. Other than that, it's been a reliable accurate pistol ever since. Not heavily used, probably 5k since I bought it. I still like it quite a bit.

The other two Paras are both P14-45 LDAs that my brother and I each bought new in a group purchase in 09 or 10. [hmmm] We both had significant finish issues with whatever spray and bake coating they're using. His finish started falling off in small dots all over the slide. To duplicate it, you could clean and degrease your slide, spatter oil droplets on it, and then paint. At least his finish issue wasn't affecting the function of the pistol. On mine, the slide had a run on the bottom of the slide below the bushing that was substantial enough to drag on the frame dust cover. Had to sand that down before it would cycle at all reliably.

I could have sent mine back, but I had been watching my brother argue with them for 6 months without resolving his finish problems. Decided I could live with it, which was the right move since it took another 6 months for my bro's slide to get fixed. It's nowhere near as reliable as it's older 1990's brother, rather fussy about OAL with any non-roundnose bullet. When it's running, it's accurate.

I'd buy another early Para, but unless they turn the company around I have no intention of trying them again. Maybe they hired all the assembly monkeys that Century had finally fired. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom