• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Retro/Fixed Carry Handle AR15s Pictures and discussion thread

Cap'n Mike

NES Member
Anyone else into these? Post up what you have, even if they are just old Prebans.

Retro/Fixed Carry handle ARs have become very popular over the last few years. A decade ago you couldn’t give away a fixed carry handle upper, as everyone was swapping them for flat tops.

Whether from Covid, or lack of availability when NoDak Spud got bought out, the supply of Retro uppers got very tight for a while, and prices soared. H&R, LuthAR and several others have stepped up to the plate and supply is beginning to catch up with demand, though the original stuff from from back in the day will always be worth a premium.

What Makes an AR Retro? The fixed (Non Removable) carry handle is really the only requirement, but anything AR from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s adds to the astetic.

Clones of Military ARs (US and Otherwise) from those decades are a big part of the Retro Drip. Nostalgia for Vietnam era guns all the way up to the GWOT fixed Carry Handle guns that guys carried while serving is a large part of the attraction.

Movie gun AR clones, like from Heat, Predator and Scarface, as well as from military movies like Black Hawk Down are likewise well represented in Retro land.

As I said, there is a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in these guns. I bought my first AR in 1991 when they pretty much all had fixed carry handles, and served in the US Army right before Flat Top ARs becam so ubiquitou, so that is definitely a lot of the draw for me.

Here are a few of mine.

XM177E2 I posted a build thread on here

6AC5E3DD-468A-4AA9-B780-E49DA3E7CB56.jpeg

Black Hawk Down/Gothic Serpent clone
D636DD09-4A58-4B48-A591-4DC3BF49390D.jpeg

Colt 6520 I bought in 1991 along with some of my 1990s gear.
C6066C2A-8BE4-400D-9CE3-A3B632769B92.jpeg
Billy’s gun from Predator I built, this one was fun.
CA945939-B7CC-4E70-A9F4-93C322446041.jpeg

Post up those Retro Carry handles 👍

Last edited:
I like these. I’ll give you a shot of mine tomorrow morning. I’m trying to get the little monster to bed now. My service time was 85-94 so I’m a carry handle aficionado too. I don’t trust scopes. GPS is for geeks too. Give me a map, compass, and protractor and I’ll find anything!

Jesus I’m really turning into Grampa Simpson!

I bought this Colt AR-15 HBAR in 1989 to mimic my M16A2.

It doesn't have the birdcage around the magazine release, but it is still a decent representation.

View attachment 726696
I’ve got an HBAR also. I wanted the one with the carry handle as that’s what I was familiar with. Got it brand new for cheap at Blue Northern about 10 years back. Mine is the massified version though.

I like these. I’ll give you a shot of mine tomorrow morning. I’m trying to get the little monster to bed now. My service time was 85-94 so I’m a carry handle aficionado too. I don’t trust scopes. GPS is for geeks too. Give me a map, compass, and protractor and I’ll find anything!

Jesus I’m really turning into Grampa Simpson!
I still have my Ranger beeds and remember my pace count👍🫡

Nice thread!

I'd never owned an AR (didn't like them when I was in the Army) until a few years ago, when I figured I "should" have one. So I bought a preban SP1, which I thought I'd like: in my view, every M16-derived weapon MUST HAVE tapering handguards and a carry handle. I promptly flipped that SP1 for an AR180, and I never plan to own another AR.

I trained on the M16A2, which I was fine with, and when I was in the Guard there were still some A1s around. When I went active, my unit was just fielding the M4, which we carried with fixed handguards and the carry handle ALWAYS attached; my chain of command had no idea how to use all the doodads you could put on the rail, and they were afraid of signing any of that stuff out of the arms room anyway. So they told us not to take the handle off, for fear of messing up the zero. The Army I served in was still very much an "iron-sights" Army.

When we went to Kosovo, I believe we were the only NATO troops with anything other than M16A2s. The other units we came into contact with were envious of our M4s. We referred to their M16s as "muskets."

I bought this Colt AR-15 HBAR in 1989 to mimic my M16A2.

It doesn't have the birdcage around the magazine release, but it is still a decent representation.

View attachment 726696
That’s nice 👍
Colt used those OG slab side lowers on civilian guns from the early 60s to the early 90s. They must have finally run out after 30 years.

They can’t make them fast enough.
The whole retro line they have is really cool.
Nodak Spud (a retro rifle company) was bought by PSA's parent company:

Nodak Spud then moved their operations to SC after the buy-out and are now working under PSA. They will fabricate retro rifles through PSA under the name "Harrington & Richardson".

I'm looking forward to see what they will continue to come out with.

Discussion at the 7:34 Mark:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0kEurikfg

Last edited:
I bought the old colt version of that carbine back before the first Biden Ban around 94ish. Had fun shooting it but it became worth too much not to sell. Plus I wanted a flat top. My eyesite needs a scope and I hated the carry handle scope mount setup. Kinda wish I kept it but needed the cash at the time. Tripled my money though.

I bought the old colt version of that carbine back before the first Biden Ban around 94ish. Had fun shooting it but it became worth too much not to sell. Plus I wanted a flat top. My eyesite needs a scope and I hated the carry handle scope mount setup. Kinda wish I kept it but needed the cash at the time. Tripled my money though.
Massachusetts and to some degree Connecticut have pretty much kept the values of preban lowers very high since 1994. I think when the courts finally toss the AWB, the value of preban lowers will remain high because they have become collectsble

you should get yourself a ruger sfar. just saying. :)

Why? I've got two FALs, and I once owned a CETME. I'd happily get another one of those before I went for anything AR-shaped.

Besides, this is a thread about "retro fixed carry handle" rifles. If I was to gravitate toward an AR, those are the kinds I'd gravitate toward. That SFAR looks like something that would be bought by someone who wears an iWatch, has scruffle and a manbun, and puts bullshit into his coffee to make it taste less like coffee.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Why? I've got two FALs, and I once owned a CETME. I'd happily get another one of those before I went for anything AR-shaped.

Besides, this is a thread about "retro fixed carry handle" rifles. If I was to gravitate toward an AR, those are the kinds I'd gravitate toward. That SFAR looks like something that would be bought by someone who wears an iWatch, has scruffle and a manbun, and puts bullshit into his coffee to make it taste less like coffee.

Thanks, but no thanks.
there is also such a thing called 'progress'. :) even if it comes with manbuns as an optional package.
but, i get what you`re saying. no problem with that at all.

there is also such a thing called 'progress'. :) even if it comes with manbuns as an optional package.
but, i get what you`re saying. no problem with that at all.

Fair point, but I don't look at Direct Impingement as "progress." If it was, more manufacturers would have copied Stoner instead of going to pistons. All the newer systems are piston-operated.

Fair point, but I don't look at Direct Impingement as "progress." If it was, more manufacturers would have copied Stoner instead of going to pistons. All the newer systems are piston-operated.
i do not generally think nor like the idea of most semi-auto piston designs - there is very little benefit in having this complexity added to a simple semi-auto civilian gun.

for a full auto battle rifle or higher caliber machine gun it is a mandatory feature, obviously, but, for what, say, that abovementioned ruger sfar is - an ultralite free floating barrel traditional simple ar platform that spits out my hot 308 custom loads with 0 issues - there are 0 issues there having it the way it is.

what you get there are modern materials, weight cuts everywhere and an AR10 functionality in the AR15 form factor. nothing not to like, a 1-6x scope on it, and it is walkable anywhere for whole day with this 8.6lbs thing - that is including the scope on it and sling. but, well, it has no carrying handle. :)

I'll just cordially point out that, for some of us,
the AR15 form factor
and
nothing not to like
are somewhat mutually exclusive.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice, but there are some of us who are more than glad to get off the modern merry-go-round and enjoy shooting the designs that have stood the test of time. Like the retro fixed carry handle AR, which has the added benefit of being a weapon many of us remember humping (or we had relatives that did).

Some here can say the same thing about FALs or CETMEs or M14s or even AKs. There's more to liking a certain gun than the quantifiable, logical stuff that goes on paper.

Back
Top Bottom