• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Retro/Fixed Carry Handle AR15s Pictures and discussion thread

Welp, it happened. I traded for an AR, and I don't hate it yet. Although, in keeping with that post above, I did get a PTR-91 before I got this AR-shaped device.

It's a Colt Target, an A2 clone with no bayonet lug. Apparently, the A2 configuration was always the one I'd like best. It's the rifle I was used to from BCT, my Guard unit, IOBC, and Ranger before I showed up at my unit and found myself in the land of removable carry handles. We'll see how long this one lasts, lol. At least I've got something that can fire Green Tip now...

View attachment 789662
And here I think I've just set up a trade deal for my M16A2 clone. Let me know when you let go of yours, I'll pick one up, so we can continue this merry dance. 🤣

And here I think I've just set up a trade deal for my M16A2 clone. Let me know when you let go of yours, I'll pick one up, so we can continue this merry dance. 🤣

Nah, I'm determined to at least shoot this one. The last one I owned didn't even make it out to the range; I didn't bond with it.

This one, I want to shoot.

Brownells is well stocked
in fact they just came out with 2 new retro uppers.
View attachment 820532View attachment 820533
H&R has a bunch, but you have to get them shipped outside Mass.😢
Damn, when I was building my 20” rifle I could not get a carry handle upper…so it’s the removeable carry handle upper.

Jeez thanks, I can order any of those to my house as long as I pay for them!!

Damn, when I was building my 20” rifle I could not get a carry handle upper…so it’s the removeable carry handle upper.

Jeez thanks, I can order any of those to my house as long as I pay for them!!
The floodgates have really opened on carry handles in the last few months.

Nam 68-69. Nothing fancy, just looks like the one I had in-country; cotton sling as attached, 20 rnd mags, and finish wear.
For the correct length, I made my own dummy suppressor that telescopes down over the barrel. The actual muzzle ends just behind the slots.

thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0744.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0739.jpg

Nam 68-69. Nothing fancy, just looks like the one I had in-country; cotton sling as attached, 20 rnd mags, and finish wear.
For the correct length, I made my own dummy suppressor that telescopes down over the barrel. The actual muzzle ends just behind the slots.
Looks great!

What unit did you serve with?

USAF, Andy.
Mesachornug, Nope it's attached loose enough so that it kinda droops to the side, leaving the front sight post clearly exposed.
Attached this way, the gun doesn't tend to hang on its side or upside down when carried like it does when using the forward sling swivel.

Last edited:
That Carbine is outstanding Oozy.
The wear looks perfect.
You can always tell someone who has actually carried one of these by the way the sling is mounted.
The parade sling swivel is useless on these.

USAF, Andy.
Mesachornug, Nope it's attached loose enough so that it kinda droops to the side, leaving the front sight post clearly exposed.
Attached this way, it doesn't tend to hang on its side or upside down when carried like it does when using the forward sling swivel.
So it's just for carry, never for shooting, then?

Yep. A lot of field expedient fixes come out of getting shot at and shooting back.
M60s had a feed problem getting the belts out of the can or the "battle pack" that hung off the left side when the belt tried to turn from vertical to horizontal, going into the feed tray.
Gunners found that the juice can out of the field rats meals fit in between the pack clips and gave a nice radius for the belt to ride over. Presto; no more belts hanging up and jamming the gun.
"If it's stupid but it works-- it isn't stupid".

Thanks Cap'n Mike. Hanging the sling from the front sight was a simpler fix than the bent up paper-clip affair they came up with... and they didn't rattle like the wire ones did.
We always figured if they just sent more design engineers out in the field so they could see how well their brain farts worked in actual operations; the ones who survived could take that new-found knowledge back to their engineering departments and we might get gear that actually worked.

th-1388960354.jpg 3310_102_418-m16a1-naming-the-parts-2607929201.jpg

Thanks Cap'n Mike. Hanging the sling from the front sight was a simpler fix than the bent up paper-clip affair they came up with... and they didn't rattle like the wire ones did.
Perfect description of that thing!
👍

For a short time I had something similar to your web sling rigged up on my M16A2.

sling adapter.jpg

We always figured if they just sent more design engineers out in the field so they could see how well their brain farts worked in actual operations; the ones who survived could take that new-found knowledge back to their engineering departments and we might get gear that actually worked.

View attachment 825747View attachment 825748
I had one of those top sling adapter kits on my M16A2 in the 90s. I also shitcanned the paperclip thing, but the strap for the rear worked pretty good to lengthen the silent sling. My ultimate solution was to aquire an M60 sling, which was plenty long enough for patrol carrying an M16A2 like in Andys picture.

H&R 635 9mm DOE Pistol

H&R is really killing it.

Great article on the Department of Energy clone👍

Back
Top Bottom