Para Expert Carry

Hello NES,

I'm considering a carry 1911 and was looking at something with a 3" barrel with a full frame. The Para Expert Carry comes to mind. Can anyone tell me if it's legal in MA and if it's good? Does anyone have a MA legal 1911 that can compare? Thanks!

Jeff

I have a 1990's 1911 double stack from para that is a gem. Only complaint is that the finish is not the best. Never jams and is very well made otherwise. I have seen the newer stuff and been very under impressed.

I own a Para P12, a bit different than the Expert. Mine is double stack and shorter frame. Bought new in 1992, mine is Canadian made. Surprisingly reliable. Remember, this came out around the time the Colt Officers ACP was available and Colt couldn't get that to function good enough that people would trust their life to them. I trust my life to my P12 but won't carry it because of the weight, I should have bought the alloy framed model. I can't compare any other 3" .45 auto, the one I own is the only one I've shot with the exception of the above mentioned Colt model. There was some discussion in trade publications that the recoil spring was the issue that created the problems for small 1911 style autos. When a new small 1911 was being developed, people tried to just make a small version of the full sized gun, same spring weights, etc. There's a good article in a past copy of Shooting Times magazine written by now fallen gun writer Dick Metcalf on small 1911's and why they failed and what's been done to cure the problems. It's worth researching the web to find it.

Para, the company, had some internal problems and the company had been sold 2x since it left Canada and came to the states. Customer service was poor and quality suffered. They are now making an effort to get back on track. You mention Para on a gun board and hoards of people will bash them with no mercy. I often wonder if those comments were based on first hand experience or just too much social media reading, you know, the pig pile theory. Not saying they are perfect now but changes are being made at Para. If you wonder over to 1911.com, there's a section for just Para's (as well as the other major manufacturers) and it's monitored by their pro shooters. Reading the boards will give you a feel of how Para is doing now, not 10 years ago. Most people are pretty happy. Head over there and troll the posts, worth it.

Para, the company, had some internal problems and the company had been sold 2x since it left Canada and came to the states. Customer service was poor and quality suffered. They are now making an effort to get back on track. You mention Para on a gun board and hoards of people will bash them with no mercy. I often wonder if those comments were based on first hand experience or just too much social media reading, you know, the pig pile theory. Not saying they are perfect now but changes are being made at Para.

My specific comments are directed solely at PARA and who they are RIGHT NOW as a company. I have both dealing with them as a customer and as a part time previous employee at a small gun shop.

They are by far the worst comapny I can imagine. Not only is there product pathetic but their inner workings from both an administrative and customer service aspect are reprehensible. I have discussed this with their "Pro Shooters" and NO everything is NOT ok.

When I said I wouldn't touch a PARA even if free, I wasn't kidding.

I have a mid 1990's P14-45 that's always treated me well. Granted, I turned it into a competition pistol while shooting IPSC. Mine was from when Para was in Canada.

Personally, I'd stay clear of 3" barreled 1911's... A 4.x" barrel would be a better choice. From what I've seen, my first choice would be from Magnum Research. Right out of the box, they're better than many 1911's without spending more $$. I've had a chance to fondle a stock, full size, 1911 from MR at Acme earlier this year. Doing so has placed them on my 'buy' list.

not sure if legal in the peoples republic but i love my Springfield EMP. compact 1911 in 9mm or 40. great gun

Hello NES,

I'm considering a carry 1911 and was looking at something with a 3" barrel with a full frame. The Para Expert Carry comes to mind. Can anyone tell me if it's legal in MA and if it's good? Does anyone have a MA legal 1911 that can compare? Thanks!

Jeff

Don't do it. Just don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Para, the company, had some internal problems and the company had been sold 2x since it left Canada and came to the states. Customer service was poor and quality suffered. They are now making an effort to get back on track. You mention Para on a gun board and hoards of people will bash them with no mercy. I often wonder if those comments were based on first hand experience or just too much social media reading, you know, the pig pile theory. Not saying they are perfect now but changes are being made at Para. If you wonder over to 1911.com, there's a section for just Para's (as well as the other major manufacturers) and it's monitored by their pro shooters. Reading the boards will give you a feel of how Para is doing now, not 10 years ago. Most people are pretty happy. Head over there and troll the posts, worth it.

They still suck pretty badly. They just need to do everyone a favor and die already. At this point Taurus has a far better chance of defying their reputation than Para does. At least with Taurus you kinda know you're buying shit/junk. Para on the other hand tries to position itself as some kind of like competitor/peer with a bunch of other big 1911 manufacturers but they're not. They just make junk.

-Mike

I have a 3" Smith & Wesson 1911. For about the first 150 rounds I had 4 failures to feed, all on the last round. After checking on other forums, I found people with the same issue and it was noted that the recoil spring comes installed backwards. When I originally took it down I noticed that also but being the gun noob I am, I thought it was supposed to be like that since the manual says so...long story short I put the spring on the right way and have not had any problems since, 200 or so rounds later...so far I've used Remington hollow points, blazer brass and even Tula ammo all with no problems...I carry it now and feel confident it will do the job if called upon.

The experts have spoken then. I will keep my satisfied customer comment to myself. I was reading a post by dealer in Az. who posted a sale for the double stack commander for under $400 like $389 with a rebate. On the other hand for what ever reason a 3" is desired the Springfield XD line of .45's are worth a look. I have been pleased with the XD line and they have a 3" .45 so good luck and happy shopping.

p1304f_zpsfe424fc4.jpg

IMG_9355_zpsa70f3620.jpg

Last edited:
Don't do it. Just don't.

Lol . I really need to send my para /Wilson combat mutt to greg derr to get the barrel fitted. I've had all the parts sitting in a box for like a year . I thought it was funny you telling me I was dumb trying to find all the small parts at that gun show . Then I found that dude that had all the Wilson parts. I feel like a dick cause he didn't know how much to charge so I said 20$ . Priced them when I got home to close to 100$

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience and I am still PO'd

Written on Friday 3/23/07

So I guess at this point I am pretty upset. Not really angry, but disappointed. I could call Para again and speak to George, but I figure I might as well just vent and let it go. Here is the chronology of events and why I am so upset.
Jan. 26: Purchased new Para SSP PX745E
Jan. 27: Shot it and slide stop broke. I posted frustration.
Jan. 29: I emailed Para customer support and wrote (and emailed) a letter to Ted Szabo expressing that this was my 3rd. Para that was defective. I then called and spoke to customer service and they said they would send out a new slide stop. I asked for rush delivery and was told that the policy is strictly regular delivery.
Feb. 5: New slide stop arrives. No response to my emails or letter yet. I attempt to install new slide stop and discover that it is bent. I email Para.
Feb. 6: Feb. 7: At 11:42 AM I post on 1911 Forum with photos. At 4:46 PM George Wedge replies and promises to take care of it. (“Well, there certainly is no debate required as to whether or not this is acceptable on any level. Goose, I will be in contact with you shortly, and promise to have this resolved post haste. Our sincere apologies for your having to deal with this.”)
Feb. 7: Derrick from Para calls and tells me he will send me another new slide stop, regular delivery. About an hour later George Wedge calls and tells me that he is going to simply give me a new gun. We have a very nice talk. He tells me that he wants to examine the problem gun to figure out why the slide stop broke. He also tells me that he will "personally" test fire my new gun to guarantee that it works properly and promises that he will let me know why the original gun was defective. He also cautions me that it will take 2-3 weeks to get my new gun. No problem. I am a happy guy.
Feb. 9: Gun goes back to Para.
Feb 26: I email George just to get an update. No response.
March 9: I call George, but he is out.
March 12: I call and speak to George. He claims to remember me, but when I tell him about the broken slide stop he is incredulous that I have not received a new slide stop in so long a time. I remind him that he promised me a new gun. I tell him that I shipped my gun back to him and he corrects me and points out that I shipped it to their plant in the US not to him in Canada. He tells me that he certainly does not know what the US plant is doing, but that he can call and find out.
March 13: I receive a voice mail from George. He called the US plant and they will ship the gun out that week and I will receive it the next week. His final words are; (direct quote) “They did not forget about it they just have not gotten around to it”.
March 23: So it is Friday, end of day and I am getting ready to leave the office. No gun this week.

So, why am I perturbed? It is almost 2 months from date of purchase and I have no gun. George assured me that he would “personally” test fire my gun. I guess that was just a figure of speech, because the gun is shipping out from (I think) Tennessee and he is in Canada. Supposedly it shipped last week to arrive this week. I have initiated every contact in this whole process. This is my 3rd. defective Para and from my viewpoint I have received no customer service at all. No doubt I will eventually receive my new gun, but at this point I really do not care. I will sell it immediately as I have no desire to own a gun from Para Ordnance. I could include even more detail in this story, but I believe I have written enough. I am one extremely dissatisfied customer and since Para obviously does not care I am venting to you guys, the buying public. I am not really interested in hearing from you guys who have great working Para's or received great customer service. I have experienced neither. I am disgusted.

From what I learned befor being banned from the 1911 forum . Only way to get any help from some one that wants to help from para . Contact there sponsored shooter . I want to say Travis? I forget but he used to post slot in the para section . Would even chime in saying he'd get it fixed .

It's bad when a professional shooter has to act as customer service .

From what I learned befor being banned from the 1911 forum . Only way to get any help from some one that wants to help from para . Contact there sponsored shooter . I want to say Travis? I forget but he used to post slot in the para section . Would even chime in saying he'd get it fixed .

If you have been foolish enough to purchase a new PARA, Travis Tomasie is your only hope. Unlike the rest of the company, he has a drive for excellence and personal integrity. He really does care that his name is attached to the product. Unfortunately, from my experience most other that work there don't give a shit

I have a S&W pro series 1911 with a 3 inch barrel. It has been flawless thru about 500 rounds (including my hand loads) and is very accurate. I was skeptical at first because so many people complained about a 3 inch 1911. But mine is a winner. But it did cost $1200,
f0ca23d1529b1cc4a64bd75eebc8ebb2.jpg

Another person for the pig pile....next

just curious you guys, which models did you all own and what were the issues, just interested is all.

The guy I used to do my 1911 work... 1/3rd to half of the guns he was working on at any given time were paras. That was all I needed to see. Most of them were repairs, not for things like sight upgrades/trigger jobs. Guns were frequently given to him because they jammed like crazy, etc. The doublestacks were on average, way worse than the singles.

-Mike

I have a S&W pro series 1911 with a 3 inch barrel. It has been flawless thru about 500 rounds (including my hand loads) and is very accurate. I was skeptical at first because so many people complained about a 3 inch 1911. But mine is a winner. But it did cost $1200,
f0ca23d1529b1cc4a64bd75eebc8ebb2.jpg

I have the same and it is fantastic. I love it. Great trigger right out of the box.

Congratulations! That ***hole banned me over ten years ago.

PS That jerk George would often promise to personally deal with these problems in a hands on manner. Not an easy task when he was in Canada and the gun was in Tennessee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom