Panic Buying

Literally nothing is going to happen. Gun laws have loosened tremendously over the last 30 years. Over the last few years, we've gone up to nine constitutional carry states and about to get a tenth. A bunch of states passed anti-gun-control laws since Sandy Hook as a response to Obama's BS. Even SCOTUS has been on our side. Gun bans are a leftist wet dream that simply isn't going to come to fruition any time soon, Hillary or otherwise.

I think you are probably right that not a lot of real gun grabbing will go on from the government side, but it doesn't mean the gun nuts won't do a lot of grabbing!!

I'd stock up on cheaper peasant cartridges(.22, 9mm, .223, .308), but don't make the mistake of going too much super cheap bulk ammo or you may regret having piles of junky inaccurate dirty ammo. It's no fun shooting at things and not hitting them. The upper class cartridges will probably keep the same availability. Guns may get cheaper on the used market if all the ammo has dried up and nobody can shoot anymore because that stockpiler gun nut has 5,000,000 rounds and doesn't shoot any of them for fear of running out. What's the point in having something you can't use? No real point, so the true pragmatists will sell their guns cheap.

I couldn't give a shit less about a panic, I got what I want for firearms right here right now, same with mags and ammo, the way I roll is I shoot and replace what I shoot. If everyone goes into panic mode and buys every caliber in sight then I don't shoot as much, not a big deal. It cracks me up these guys that stockpile lowers and thousands of rounds - a lot of it in calibers they don't even have a gun for mind you and feverishly believe they will never ever see an AR or a 9mm round for sale ever again. It's pure comedy in my mind

I started a simple program a few months ago. Every paycheck I buy some stuff. I was concentrating on primers, powder and 22LR. I will keep buying 22 and concentrate on bullets for a while and then re-evaluate based on my inventory and go from there. I want enough 22 and reloading supplies for 9mm for 18 months and then I will try and get a good supply of the stuff I don't shoot so much. I wouldn't call it panic buying, more like a 6 months restocking effort.

Literally nothing is going to happen. Gun laws have loosened tremendously over the last 30 years. Over the last few years, we've gone up to nine constitutional carry states and about to get a tenth. A bunch of states passed anti-gun-control laws since Sandy Hook as a response to Obama's BS. Even SCOTUS has been on our side. Gun bans are a leftist wet dream that simply isn't going to come to fruition any time soon, Hillary or otherwise.

Like everything else, the US is becoming more divided on guns - so if you live in the wrong state, it is getting worse. Luckily Mass hasn't caught up with CA or NY yet, but you can be sure they will try.

And Scotus WAS on our side, not anymore. Now it's split, and if Hilary gets in, or Obama gets to post someone, it'll flip to a liberal majority.

Like everything else, the US is becoming more divided on guns - so if you live in the wrong state, it is getting worse. Luckily Mass hasn't caught up with CA or NY yet, but you can be sure they will try.

And Scotus WAS on our side, not anymore. Now it's split, and if Hilary gets in, or Obama gets to post someone, it'll flip to a liberal majority.

Its more than just luck... due to the way MA legislature doesn't work, anti bills have a tough life here. The current crop of antis in the legislature are also significantly dumber than the ones we had a decade or so ago. Adept types like Jacques rhymes with fakes and Jarret Barrios are in short supply... Having more gun owners helps, too.

It's already starting. If there is a perception that Trump or whoever got screwedat the convention (which sets up a potential hitlery win) things will start going full retard and if she gets elected it will be 110% retarded.... my advice, buy ammo now and lay it in, the ammo will get harder to come by than the guns.

This.

I was in NH recently checking out gun shops, empty shelves. Maybe a G17 here or there. Amazing. Presidents are really the best gun salesmen ever [rofl]

I buy what I can, when I can. Ammo, components, guns, they don't expire, but they DO get more expensive. And like Lady Radtekk says: "If they still have ammo left when you leave the store, did you REALLY buy too much?"

What was plentiful last time around?

I remember seeing a good amount of 17hmr and what I assume were hunting calibers. (full size rifle cartridges in calibers I wasnt familiar with) I also recall hearing that 40s&w and shot shells were easier to find, although I didnt then and still dont shoot either so they may have been around but I didnt notice.

I didn't get back into shooting until early 2013(not by choice but because of the anti CoP) so that's how I wound up with .40/.308. I saw no sense in buy anything in 9/5.56 because by that time it was thin on the shelves and with limits when found, plenty of .40/.308 to be had pretty much any shop I went to to include a few that didn't ever limit those calibers. I'd be purchasing two or three 200rd battle packs of .308 at a time while standing in line with folks holding a few boxes of .223/5.56 and they weren't very happy about it, hell I've still got a few of them leftover.

Was it more expensive? Sure, but I never went without and I was still hitting the range two or three times a week.

I am always looking for an excuse to buy more guns and ammo. This should work nicely for the next couple of months :)

I have plenty of projectiles, brass and powder for the calibers I shoot and reload...I am getting low on primers though...time to stock up again.

Five years ago I used to be able to walk into the Plymouth Wallyworld and grab Federal 550's of .22 for around $20 a box. Remember when paying under $.40 a round to feed your AR was the norm rather than the exception? This is where we'll probably see things get crazy again.

"Panic Buying" is getting pretty old and overused. We hear it over and over.

How about the more specific "Panties in a Bunch Buying"?

I have no cash anyway so panic buy away so I can buy after the panic at blow out prices (when everyone realizes they have 12 ar10 lowers that they paid $200 EACH for but new ones are only $75 :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got my LTC in early 2013 and it was almost impossible to find .22 and 9mm for the two handguns I had purchased. I worked across the street from a Wal-Mart and I would stop in every day after work hoping to score a box or two and I only got lucky a few times. I wouldn't shoot any of it because I was worried that it was going to get even worse and I wanted to "save" the few precious boxes I had. Price gouging was rampant too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up extra ammo in the calibers you shoot, especially .22, 9mm and 5.56, while the prices are low and the availability is good. There might also be more attempts to ban "assault weapons" so AR's, AR parts and 5.56 might get expensive and scarce.

I have no cash anyway so panic buy away so I can buy after the panic at blow out prices (when everyone realizes they have 12 ar10 lowers that they paid $200 EACH for but new ones are only $75 :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Except that there is no blow out price, the prices just go back to the previous sticky price, or pretty close. I've never seen this mythical "dumping of the too much stuff that was bought during the panic" phase... it doesn't exist.

Except that there is no blow out price, the prices just go back to the previous sticky price, or pretty close. I've never seen this mythical "dumping of the too much stuff that was bought during the panic" phase... it doesn't exist.

Yeah, you'll get a new (and higher)normal price, but I haven't seen post panic blow out prices either. If anything, there are people who bought at panic prices who are forced to sell at the new norm and take a bath doing it, but long term, prices still go steadily up.

There was about a month or two after production caught up with demand after Sandy Hook when even Brick and Mortar stores had pre SH ammo prices and were practically giving away lowers at cost.

The supply is still very good right now. Usually when I walk into a store, whatever I want is usually available to some degree. If AE 5.56 is out, then PMC is in stock. No CCI minimag, plenty of WWB. If a Spikes lower is out, they will have Anderson. Something useful is always available for purchase. Or should I use the NES classifieds as a barometer on when to freak out? [grin]

Yes she is going to win.....and win yuuuge. Trump is a ****ing baffoon and will lose in a landslide.

he's a lot of things but not a buffoon. He's a master manipulator, and people always underestimate him. He can beat Hilary, he will change his tune to fit the general voting public once he wins the nomination.

Hilary cannot really do this, she can't seem to control herself - look at her anti-gun stance, how's that going to play in a general election? Plus she's so unlikeable.

But I think the panic buying will happen anyway, since the election will be close.

+1 still waiting on the blow-out sale.

Pretty much. With the Supreme Court in its current state and everything Hillary, and Chelsea, have said about gun control, it could be worse than post Sandy Hook.

If you like to shoot, I would buy a couple cases of what ever you shoot most and if you have any interest in an AR at least buy the parts now.

Then again, with all the panic buying from the two Obama elections and Sandy Hook, there is a good chance that many will feel they have stocked up enough and you will be able to find ARs, but I would still bet ammo is scarce.
Well said. It's all about who becomes the next president and who then will pick the next Supreme Court justice. We are dangerously close to a rabid anti-2A president who will appoint a rabid anti-2A Supreme Court justice. The Supreme Court then goes majority moonbat (probably permanently) and 2A is done and gone. Yes, just like that.

No need to panic... but make damn sure you are prepared for what could be coming down the road. Because if it's bad, it will make Sandy Hook and Obama's lunacy look like a walk in the park. [thinking]

+1 still waiting on the blow-out sale.

You missed it. It was not really from people dumping their stash, but from stores that suddenly had more than they could move and needed to at least get back what they spent. $40 stripped lowers were around for a few months and $10 for 50rn ball 9mm was there too. It was quick though a month, two at most.

IMHO.....the one thing they will push big time at state and federal levels especially if Hillary gets in , is a new huge tax in ammo.....something like $1 a round. If they can't ban guns, they will make it financially impossible to own one.........so stock up

No matter what there will be some. If it looks like Hillary is going to win there will be much more. It's wise to stock up what you can over the next few months before it ramps up. For me, I don't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of the stuff I want, however if Hillary actually wins I'll use the credit card to join the frenzy before she's sworn in.

IMHO.....the one thing they will push big time at state and federal levels especially if Hillary gets in , is a new huge tax in ammo.....something like $1 a round. If they can't ban guns, they will make it financially impossible to own one.........so stock up

Honestly this is what I would be most worried about. Even if its smaller like 10-20 cents a round, it will be devastating to those of us who actually try to shoot our guns consistently. They'll start comparing them to cigarettes and how dangerous they are and how sensible "only 10-20 cents" is and how we need to protect the kids blah blah. The public sheep with no firearm experience and even casual "have one just in case" gun owners will eat it up as common sense.

I feel like most guns will always be available in some capacity but ammo is the limiting reagent so never hurts to have an extra case of each caliber you shoot stashed away.

Honestly this is what I would be most worried about. Even if its smaller like 10-20 cents a round, it will be devastating to those of us who actually try to shoot our guns consistently. They'll start comparing them to cigarettes and how dangerous they are and how sensible "only 10-20 cents" is and how we need to protect the kids blah blah. The public sheep with no firearm experience and even casual "have one just in case" gun owners will eat it up as common sense.

I feel like most guns will always be available in some capacity but ammo is the limiting reagent so never hurts to have an extra case of each caliber you shoot stashed away.

If hitlery is elected... There will be a 10-20 cent per round tax. But it will NOT be from Hitlery. It will be from ****ing tinfoil hat wearing, shit-brained gun owners running around and armflapping about hitlery for the 4 or 8 years (shudder) that she's in office. And before anyone here is offended by my comment, these shitbirds are not usually enthusiasts like us, either, these are the tinfoilers who forward each other emails from faux news and wayne lapierre that buy shit and throw it in their closet CUZ OBAMA etc but don't actually shoot on a regular basis. (Let's ponder things realistically, if even 20% of the post 2008 gun owners shot on a regular basis, you wouldn't be able to get within a year long waitlist on even the shittiest gun clubs in new england. )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom