• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New panic buying 5.56/.223?

You’re going to wait until the summer before an election to buy? You’re doing it wrong.
At these prices I need to hold out a bit longer. It won’t be summer but probably Spring for me once things have dropped a little more as I’m liking the trend right and would like to see if around X39 price before I restock. This is assuming no irregular events occur and hike prices up once again; equis paribus, if you will.

No. Per caliber that you own. On the shelf, untouched. If you shoot, you probably need 1 - 3000 more. And that does not include .22.

At least that's John Farnam's advice.
Whatever the advice is I guarantee it's too low.

I tell people at this point figure whatever you shoot annually and then double or quadruple it depending on what you can afford usually will not regret doing that later unless you're buying at full rape you're going to make out in the long run. I haven't been shooting much at all this year and I still am just randomly picking up cases of ammo whenever I can get my hands on it.

At these prices I need to hold out a bit longer. It won’t be summer but probably Spring for me once things have dropped a little more as I’m liking the trend right and would like to see if around X39 price before I restock. This is assuming no irregular events occur and hike prices up once again; equis paribus, if you will.
Before covid, I would do my big buy for the season in May. So prior to covid, I was pretty low. Then, Covid hit with all the newbies buying guns, and the ammo market disappeared.

So buying on the dips makes sense, but don't let your inventory get low, or you might find yourself in tight sneakers if something happens.

Both libs and conservatives are predicting some really unpleasant realities prior to and during November election season, so don't wait too long.

And more recently in 2018 when you could get a 1k case of LC 5.56 for $275 no tax, free shipping, AND a rebate of $50 off that. If that wasn’t a deal…

That's insanely good even ignoring the rebate. (Which i would never remember to fill out anyways)

Ironically, that is where i got my last $400 per 1K purchase. I picked up a few for me and others in my family.
Same here. I remember calling the to hold a case for me, offered my CC# and the said no problem, Thye'd hold one. Got there and there were like 4 cases out. Come to find out, the had a pallet full, but would only put out a half dozen at a time...to keep folks convinced they were getting the last of them!

Before covid, I would do my big buy for the season in May. So prior to covid, I was pretty low. Then, Covid hit with all the newbies buying guns, and the ammo market disappeared.

So buying on the dips makes sense, but don't let your inventory get low, or you might find yourself in tight sneakers if something happens.

Both libs and conservatives are predicting some really unpleasant realities prior to and during November election season, so don't wait too long.

I barely survived the Covid meltdown. I have been buying since. I'm pretty well stocked up on ammo and now I'm concentrating on reloading supplies.

$.27 per round on sale and after $90 rebate (that I am still waiting for) only three months ago! When it comes to ammo, the market is very fragile. All it takes is a shift in the world and some Youtube gun guys to say, "Quick, buy it now!" to cause the next panic buy, and crazy price increase.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 191950.png

We've all gotten the letters recently that ammo prices are set to increase by anywhere from 7-14% by the end of Q1 2024 because of a powder shortage - again. Even if there isn't a shortage, the prices will increase because the ammo manufacturers say it must.

We've all gotten the letters recently that ammo prices are set to increase by anywhere from 7-14% by the end of Q1 2024 because of a powder shortage - again. Even if there isn't a shortage, the prices will increase because the ammo manufacturers say it must.
There you have it, the “real” rate of inflation.

Back
Top Bottom