• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New panic buying 5.56/.223?

Yes. I should specify: they "anticipate" a shortage of powder, so they are raising prices now in order to get ahead of the "anticipated" global decrease of gun powder and related materials.
That's a new one.

I heard the ammo price increases are due to an anticipated increase in fuel prices and one of the CEO's going through a nasty divorce and anticipation of Taiwan being invaded by China spiking the price of commodities.

When will the madness ever end!!!

We need common sense price control :)

I would settle for people just not gobbling ammo up every time a dealer or gun YouTuber burps. If people stop buying ammo every time someone farts, prices will lower. But.. manufacturers and dealers know the best way to sell ammo is fear mongering and the threat of a Democrat being in office.

I was playing around with an inflation calculator yesterday. 2016 to now they claim 27% increase in prices. Iirc, I paid 25cpr for Wolf Gold 223 in 2016. (my order history doesnt go back that far anymore on TS) A 27% increase would only bring it to like 32cpr. Its currently listed on TargetSports at 65 cpr. (although its oos so maybe that effects the price)

Not going to derail the thread, but inflation is about an increase in money supply driving increased liquidity which drives up the price of everything, all things being equal. The reason inflation becomes “entrenched” is what we see above: folks anticipating and then increasing prices in anticipation or purchasing is to “get ahead” which further drives the cycle.

This just furthers my view that the BS inflation metrics were being fed are just that, BS. 2024 inflation will continue because rates are still too low given the liquidity available.

I’m not stocking up in this environment, rather replacing what I shoot. I will increase my supply when we see prices come down further, assuming we’re not at a permanently high plateau for ammo prices [rofl]

Do not mistake "price increases" (due to various human nature factors) for "inflation" - although related they are not the same :)
Economists live in an ivory tower and can quibble about various definitions of inflation and whether particular price increases were caused by inflation or supply demand imbalances (hint, one and the same).

At the end of the day, all economics is about emotion because humans are emotional beings. Greed and fear. Fomo. Fear of not enough. When inflation expectations become entrenched, you see increases like above. Has little to do with the “potential” for shortages. That’s an excuse. Executives are increasing prices because they can and want to pad their bottom line. There is still too much liquidity (money supply), so people are still buying. When people stop buying ammo because prices have reached ludicrous levels, you will start to see decreases in prices and actual deflation as demand destruction occurs.

That is what is happening in the real world. That is why prices are increasing. It will continue until consumers don’t have enough money for it to continue…

inflation or supply demand imbalances (hint, one and the same).

... that would be a very "glossy" and incorrect statement. In simple terms inflation is when money are printed and there are just more of it leading to devaluing of each monetary unit. Price increase is usually a function and supply and demand of services and products. Think of inflation as the product of High Street and price increases the product of Main Street :)

Both terms are absolutely interconnected, but are driven by different mechanisms which just happen to have each other as parameters in their equations.

Back
Top Bottom