Only enough $ for one gun.

Federal punch is making a compelling case for 22 being for sd

There appears to be an opinion.......... in the .22 is useful for self-defense community......... that if this caliber is chosen for that usage, one would be well advised to consider the round's penetration capability as well as its functionality capabilities as the pre-eminent considerations factors when it may be used against human targets.

The CCI Mini-Mag has so far built an excellent track record for reliable functioning especially for users of semi-autos such as the Ruger Mark 4 series. In the SW 63 the functionality is a bit more forgiving due to the very nature of the revolver genre itself.

I have not had an opportunity to try the new Punch in our 63s or Mark 4s, so I have no first had experience with how it works in the real world in guns that we own.

A very real consideration that bares thinking about is just how loud a full-size caliber......such as the .357 Mag that is our house gun......would sound in the confines of a normal size home pursuant to loss of hearing for both people and animals in the house at the time of discharge. Losing your ability to hear what is going on around you during a "repel boarders" situation inside the structure would not necessarily be helpful in that set of circumstances.

As you know the Republic is one of 8 that do not permit citizen ownership of suppressors. In an interior situation the use of a suppressor equipped handgun would I think be a very real positive relative to maintaining the hearing ability of all on the premises at the time of the incident.

Despite my best efforts.......I was unable to find in the original 4420 proposal any mention of correcting the suppressor ban any time soon.........which I suspect is just an "oversight" on the part of the bill's authors..........

Last edited:
There appears to be an opinion.......... in the .22 is useful for self-defense community......... that if this caliber is chosen for that usage, one would be well advised to consider the round's penetration capability as well as its functionality capabilities as the pre-eminent considerations factors when it may be used against human targets.

The CCI Mini-Mag has so far built an excellent track record for reliable functioning especially for users of semi-autos such as the Ruger Mark 4 series. In the SW 63 the functionality is a bit more forgiving due to the very nature of the revolver genre itself.

I have not had an opportunity to try the new Punch in our 63s or Mark 4s, so I have no first had experience with how it works in the real world in guns that we own.

A very real consideration that bares thinking about is just how loud a full-size caliber......such as the .357 Mag that is our house gun......would sound in the confines of a normal size home pursuant to loss of hearing for both people and animals in the house at the time of discharge. Losing your ability to hear what is going on around you during a "repel boarders" situation inside the structure would not necessarily be helpful in that set of circumstances.

As you know the Republic is one of 8 that do not permit citizen ownership of suppressors. In an interior situation the use of a suppressor equipped handgun would I think be a very real positive relative to maintaining the hearing ability of all on the premises at the time of the incident.

Despite my best efforts.......I was unable to find in the original 4420 proposal any mention of correctly the suppressor ban any time soon.........which I suspect is just an "oversight" on the part of the bill's authors..........
I don't live in that shit hole lol

I ran punch a few times through my p17 and it ate it very well

I have the ear plugs next to the rifles which are across the hall in my office if i need my rifle ears are in

Fwiw i run 2 full size 9s on my night stand

Caniks with lights and optics

The wife comments and digging past posts...I forgot the quality of some of the posters here. Be thankful life didn't hit you as it has me and my family in the past decade.
Thanks for those who are offering actual advice.
I remember the first time I used the internet...

Seriously though, you've gotta pull the trigger on something. It doesn't matter what, just anything. I recommend a 9mm handgun. My first gun was a Sig P226 and I sold it in favor of striker-fire Glocks. I wouldn't have known I didn't like hammer-fired if I never tried it.

Don't think of guns as a cost. The ability to defend you and your family is priceless. What you do now is on you. If you post again a few years from now asking for advice again then don't be surprised if people shit on you.

Everyone recommending a long gun is wrong, full stop.

90% of defensive uses are outside the home.

365xl, canik tp9sf elite, glock 19, hellcat pro, m&p9c, etc

All of them are able to be concealed carried, but are big enough to also be fun.

Canik’s are my pick if it’s a budget thing. And maybe even if it isn’t!

Edit: the 365xl was my first gun. It’s a good choice, and conceals a little easier than some of the others I listed. But the bigger “compact” guns will be a little more fun to shoot.
Well where in his quest did he say he wanted to carry?
Looking to get some home security and fun on the range. Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).

Not getting drawn into a pissfest over home defense weapon choices you do whatever is best for you and ill do the same. We agree to disagree .

When your rationale for selecting a home defense weapon is based on the debunked overpenetration argument, that goes beyond simply agreeing to disagree. We can disagree on the best choice but should still be factually correct when presenting an argument as to why.

Also, OP's wife wears the pants in the family

I knew this was a restriction based on BroadLogic. That's literally the only way that his post could have been constituted that way as if there was a broad making demands involved in it. 🤣🤣🤣

I like how the AC is positioned to hit your junk while you fap at the Ghost Gunner.
Proper temperature is key. 🍻
That portable AC makes the garage comfortable in GA summer. Wife bought it for me couple years ago. I measured five or six times before cutting the hole in the wall for the exhaust hose/vent.

Only enough money for one gun...

woman-with-minigun-minigun.gif

Despite my best efforts.......I was unable to find in the original 4420 proposal any mention of correcting the suppressor ban any time soon.........which I suspect is just an "oversight" on the part of the bill's authors..........
The only correction they are interested in is making them harder to get.

The wife comments and digging past posts...I forgot the quality of some of the posters here. Be thankful life didn't hit you as it has me and my family in the past decade.
Thanks for those who are offering actual advice.

1697484211865264.png

if you decide to go with the Ruger 357 make sure you get a couple of preban extended clips

You need an AR15. Figure it out. You’re going to figure it out later and be paying a whole lot more for it and you’ll have a useless shotgun collecting dust under your bed that idiots recommended as an ideal home defense gun, when it is quite obviously not. Thats my controversial opinion. Home defense shotguns suck and you’ll end up wanting an AR15 like every other red blooded American man anyway.

You need an AR15. Figure it out. You’re going to figure it out later and be paying a whole lot more for it and you’ll have a useless shotgun collecting dust under your bed that idiots recommended as an ideal home defense gun, when it is quite obviously not. Thats my controversial opinion. Home defense shotguns suck and you’ll end up wanting an AR15 like every other red blooded American man anyway.
I am gonna get an a300 ultima that i think will do just fine for home defense

I do already have 6 ars in varying sizes and calibers and a 9mm sub gun though

Why is everyone rushing to 12 gauge, and pumps in particular?

Because of old shitty gun rag articles and fudd lore, etc. During covid the demand was off the charts, because people are raging faggots about "shotguns for home defense" bweah bweah quack quack etc. Think of some fat guy with suspenders. Etc.

Because of old shitty gun rag articles and fudd lore, etc. During covid the demand was off the charts, because people are raging faggots about "shotguns for home defense" bweah bweah quack quack etc. Think of some fat guy with suspenders. Etc.
10 rounds of double ought or slugs seems like pretty good home defense deterrent

Yes for a gun you'll never or rarely be able to get to in time to respond to the threat.. .. shotguns are woefully overrated. Better used on birds and clays.
Do you hide your shotguns separately?

My long guns are 15 feet away

Ill grab whatevers on top should the situation arise... but if i land on my 12 gauge(when i get it) I'll not be upset

OK, home defense shotguns don’t suck. They are actually pretty decent.

But you are totally correct, a carbine is just objectively better in every way. I still think a shotgun is leaps and bounds better than any handgun.

With storage laws being what they are, my carry gun is generally the most accessible at any given moment. So there’s that.

Do you hide your shotguns separately?

My long guns are 15 feet away

Ill grab whatevers on top should the situation arise... but if i land on my 12 gauge(when i get it) I'll not be upset
No, but the point is if there's a threat I'm going to the thing i have quick at hand which is probably going to be a handgun. Unless you leave shotguns sprinkled around your house they're going to be niche players at best.

Back
Top Bottom