Only enough $ for one gun.

Really? How elitist.

Of course one should be training, but people should still have the means for self defense even if one can’t practice much due to financial reasons. When I was lower enlisted in the Army, I did not have much money for practice ammo and had to pay for a rental bay at each range trip. I didn’t shoot my pistol much, but I could still hit a chest at home defense distances. It’s not that hard to meet the bare minimum necessary for self defense. That describes a lot of people. And plenty of people defend themselves with pistols that they had sitting around for years.

Yes, training and training ammo should be considered when getting into firearms. But it isn’t a hard barrier for choosing to have the means to defend oneself or one’s family.

Also, one can do a shit ton of training without firing a shot. And you can start to get ammo for training when possible over time. You don’t need to dump just as much or more money on the ammo as you did the pistol immediately.
Really? How foolish.

Wow, just wow. Obviously spoken by someone who has never taken training classes. There is SO much more to defensive training then learning how to shoot a peice of paper. The most important parts don't include guns and YES, ammo, practice and training SHOULD BE A HARD BARRIER

Also, OP's wife wears the pants in the family

It only took 12 years to convince her… 😂 or maybe he joined MGTOW?

Ah yes, the eternal “over-penetration” discussion.

1. 5.56 does not penetrate more than pistol cartridges or buckshot. The high velocity, low mass will often destabilize once it hits terminal ballistics.

2. Every single cartridge that is effective enough to stop a threat, is also capable of penetrating through walls. Concern yourself with “overpenetration” of the threat, not a wall.

3. ARs are arguably the best choice for home defense. Great terminal ballistics, low recoil, easy to operate, good ammunition capacity. Pistol caliber carbines are a better alternative for only a few reasons:
- Reduced flash if you’re on a SWAT team raiding a drug lab
- Less concussion if you have someone who’s sensitive to that
- Ammo/mag compatibility if you’re limited in that for some reason.

Not getting drawn into a pissfest over home defense weapon choices you do whatever is best for you and ill do the same. We agree to disagree .

Not getting drawn into a pissfest over home defense weapon choices you do whatever is best for you and ill do the same. We agree to disagree .

I’m fine with disagreeing on what we use.

My issue is perpetuating factually wrong things. Like 223/5.55 penetrating more than pistols or buckshot, or that there is an effective cartridge that won’t penetrate a wall.

Really? How foolish.

Wow, just wow. Obviously spoken by someone who has never taken training classes. There is SO much more to defensive training then learning how to shoot a peice of paper. The most important parts don't include guns and YES, ammo, practice and training SHOULD BE A HARD BARRIER
What goes into it... sounds like the op isn't going to take a training class so impart a little wisdom for us all

I’m fine with disagreeing on what we use.

My issue is perpetuating factually wrong things. Like 223/5.55 penetrating more than pistols or buckshot, or that there is an effective cartridge that won’t penetrate a wall.
Op just needs a revolver as the internal workings are less complicated than a glock

Preferably in 45 because shooting twice is silly and 45 had far superior stopping power

Really? How foolish.

I feel like you want to say that the HARD BARRIER should be a government mandated barrier. You just can't get yourself to say it out loud yet.

Also, OP's wife wears the pants in the family

It took twelve years but she's going to let him have one in the house.

Last edited:
If trebuchet not available - i would seriously recommend a modern striker fired handgun with a good holster and weaponlight.

I’d consider a factory MOS so that an optic could be added later if desired.

Adding personal recommendation to this - i would specifically go with a glock g17. But that might not be right for OP. My wife HATES the way my Glocks feel - she prefers her Sigs.

BIG difference between the 365 series and the MPX.
Do you want a handgun or a carbine ?
There are a zillion "what gun should I buy" threads here for any situation.
Me personally, if I had to get rid of the lifetime collection, and only allowed to keep one gun, I'd go with the 4" stainless Colt Python.
I'd take this over the HK p7 because of the more powerful .357 round.
Assuming this would be my only gun, it would need to serve several purposes.
Obviously, a Python is on the way expensive end of the scale (especially the old ones), but a .357 revolver serves well at more than one role because it also shoots .38 special.

Good intentions with the revolver, but a more budget friendly response would be more practical for the OP.

S&W 686, or similar Ruger offerings?
None are "cheap" compared to polymer striker fired guns, but I'm partial to revolvers, myself.

Even a "budget" 9mm 1911, (blasphemy) like the Springfield Range Officer.

I'd stay away from the shotguns unless you plan on getting into TRAP.

Long or short, take your pick:

Remington 870 Shotty
Glock 19
Depends...i sincerely doubt this based on the ops original post from 12 years ago

But the new gen 5s have a flared mag well and if you have larger hands and a boxing fracture in your dominant hand the magwells are very uncomfy

Really? How elitist.

Of course one should be training, but people should still have the means for self defense even if one can’t practice much due to financial reasons. When I was lower enlisted in the Army, I did not have much money for practice ammo and had to pay for a rental bay at each range trip. I didn’t shoot my pistol much, but I could still hit a chest at home defense distances. It’s not that hard to meet the bare minimum necessary for self defense. That describes a lot of people. And plenty of people defend themselves with pistols that they had sitting around for years.

Yes, training and training ammo should be considered when getting into firearms. But it isn’t a hard barrier for choosing to have the means to defend oneself or one’s family.

Also, one can do a shit ton of training without firing a shot. And you can start to get ammo for training when possible over time. You don’t need to dump just as much or more money on the ammo as you did the pistol immediately.
Plus practicing with snap caps is helpful as well.

OP, you have asked the age old, most answered, rarely agreed upon, firearms question, on the internet.
You are going to get many different opinions and answers, but only you know what will work best for you. There are pros and cons to all platforms and without knowing your level of comfort, skill set, budget and even body type, all answers will be just opinions.

12ga, pump action shotguns are extremely versatile, but honestly, one of the most over rated firearms available, that everyone owns.
- Recoil is significant. Many new shooters don't want to take the beating of frequent range trips.
- Malfunctions are common in high stress situations. The most common being short stroking.
- Accuracy is not what people think. People think you don't have to aim with a shotty. Those people are wrong.
- Training has to be done at an outdoor range.
- Not taking out of the home for self defense and tough to maneuver in close quarters for home defense.
- Best option if you ever have to put food on the table

AR/AK/ Magazine fed rifle are less versatile than a shot gun, and even an inexpensive build is more than a decent 12ga
- Easy to shoot. Recoil is very manageable
- Effective range is far greater than a shotty.
- Not ideally suited for home defense because of size. And noise
- Could put food on the table in a pinch.
- Need access to an outdoor range to practice

Handgun can be carried outside the home for self defense.
- Takes more practice to become proficient. It's a lot easier to miss with a pistol.
- 9mm is the most popular caliber and can be the most affordable. Recoil is very manageable and ammo choices are many.
- Handguns are less lethal than long guns.
- Indoor range is fine. Can practice a lot without going to the range. Lots of good training videos available for free, and while not a substitute for live fire, can be very useful.
- Not going to put food on the table.

Those are just some, but not all, of the FACTS. To give honest opinions, we need more info.
Do you ever want to carry? Some people don't and that is OK.
Are you physically able to handle a lot of recoil? If you are 60 and have arthritic shoulders a 12ga pump will never get used.
What kind of budget can you set aside for ammo? Lets say you can get out to shoot once a month. It's pretty easy to rip through 200 rounds with a handgun. Roughly $100 bucks. Can you set aside $25 a week for ammo? AR's gobble up ammo. 30 rounds in an AR goes quick, even when you are trying to slow down.
What type of dwelling do you live in, and how many occupants? If you live in an apartment complex, with 50 people in a 100' radius, your choices may be different than if you live alone in a single family dwelling with 150' to your nearest neighbor.

Whatever you decide, jump right in. You can always sell a firearm that doesn't work for you. With a handgun, there are lots of inexpensive training methods available and lots of resources here on NES.

"Welcome to the party Pal"
I work close to Franklin. When you make a purchase, hit me up for a free box of ammo, and some eye and ear protection.

Back
Top Bottom