Only enough $ for one gun.

Op just needs a revolver as the internal workings are less complicated than a glock

Preferably in 45 because shooting twice is silly and 45 had far superior stopping power

I have found a Ruger GP 100 .357 Magnum in stainless with the original factory rubber grips to be comfortable to shoot and have used it as a house gun since the 1980s. The rubber grips that it used to come with makes all the difference to how well the recoil feels in my old hand. They are available as an accessory purchase from Ruger.

It is kept loaded with 158 grain jacketed soft points as I have not yet been charged by a "tourist" but I have been charged by a bear here in the back of beyond.

Current GP model:
1700753125202.png 1700753189347.png

A lot of good advice. I'm not poor, but don't have a ton of money allocated to this purchase. Enough to make it solid, and have considered the other options--which is why I mentioned the 365xl, as it has been recommended and allows me to obtain the other needs (ammo, training, etc). I'm not really interested in a shotgun--I don't enjoy shooting them. I bow hunt all 3 seasons, so don't need one for hunting. Looking for home defense and range/tactical practice.

Everyone recommending a long gun is wrong, full stop.

90% of defensive uses are outside the home.

365xl, canik tp9sf elite, glock 19, hellcat pro, m&p9c, etc

All of them are able to be concealed carried, but are big enough to also be fun.

Canik’s are my pick if it’s a budget thing. And maybe even if it isn’t!

Edit: the 365xl was my first gun. It’s a good choice, and conceals a little easier than some of the others I listed. But the bigger “compact” guns will be a little more fun to shoot.

Honestly, buy a .22lr pistol and plenty of ammo and practice. Fun at the range, cheap to buy and shoot, and can use for home defense. Yes, I know, .22 not a defensive round but if we’re looking at all the info we have, budget and lack of experience and training, this is probably the best option to start with.

If you’re looking for one fun for home defense, carry and practice and want something with more stopping power than a .22, buy a revolver. Too many new and inexperienced shooters limp wrist semi autos and cause FTF’s. This is especially the case with polymer handguns like glocks that are lite and have more felt recoil. I saw this with my wife and son while teaching them to shoot. Revolver never had that issue with them.

Stay away from a pump shotgun, recoil will annoy you and it takes practice to learn the manual of arms and work the action under stress. Also, you’ll shoot a pistol way more and practice is important. If you’re dead set on a shotty, go with an over/under or something you can use for trap/clay.

If you want a rifle, don’t start with an AR as a new shooter. Again, cost of platform doesn’t stop with the rifle: BUIS, optic, magazines, ammo, cleaning kit. Add in a manual of arms and maintenance that takes time to learn and is more complex than a pistol. Also, 5.56 is running .70+/round these days. On a budget, you’re not going to shoot it much.

There are PCC’s that could work or a 10/22 that would be my first choice before an AR. Having said that, once you have some training/experience and a bit more money, an AR is a must have. It’s just not a great starter rifle IMHO.

Guns are like potato chips no one can just have one. ;) Get a Ruger SR22 and value pack of .22 cal and practice learning your shooting skills. When your done put it up on NES classifieds it will sell fast and buy the latest and greatest.
View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/74D8JlAU64U

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20231123_103828.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20231123_103828.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Everyone recommending a long gun is wrong, full stop.

90% of defensive uses are outside the home.

365xl, canik tp9sf elite, glock 19, hellcat pro, m&p9c, etc

All of them are able to be concealed carried, but are big enough to also be fun.

Canik’s are my pick if it’s a budget thing. And maybe even if it isn’t!

Edit: the 365xl was my first gun. It’s a good choice, and conceals a little easier than some of the others I listed. But the bigger “compact” guns will be a little more fun to shoot.

Yeah, that 90% seems high...

So, your price range is $500 to $2000. You don't know if you want a handgun or subgun? You may want to narrow down your price range first. That will dictate what you can buy.

Yeah, that 90% seems high...

Yeah. I mean, I agree that a “one gun” solution should be able to be used outside the house too. But I would be flabbergasted and shocked if only 10% of defensive gun uses were in/at the home.

I had the wrong idea of the MPX price. Had it in my mind it was much cheaper. So, that's out.

Do you mind giving us a number you're interested in spending? I think that would help narrow down a lot of possibilities.

If your hurting for money and want a gun it's absolutely a no brainer, get a used handgun like a M&P or something cheap but somewhat decent quality, by 3 mags and some ammo.

Honestly if you can't swing that then go work a part time job if your able and put aside some scratch until you can swing it.

Just my 2 cents

Best of luck OP, hope it comes together for you

Looking to get some home security and fun on the range. Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).
Living in MA, an AR might be out of my range budget-wise. Looking at an Sig 365xl. Other recs? Maybe an Sig MPX (can you still get those in MA with removable mags?)
For right now, I would consider splitting your tight budget in such a way that you end up with a very low cost plastic 9mm handgun (possibly an "on-sale-for-dirt-cheap" Taurus G3c) and a 12 gauge shotgun (possibly a Maverick 88 Security or Combo model). I'd do that with the hope and goal that things will get significantly better for you in the future. [thumbsup]
The wife comments and digging past posts...I forgot the quality of some of the posters here. Be thankful life didn't hit you as it has me and my family in the past decade.
Thanks for those who are offering actual advice.
Been there, done that. I've felt your pain... and for more years than I care to think about. Fortunately, I was able to hold onto most of my small collection through the worst of the bad times. Had I lost them all, I'd have been in the same position that you are in now... starting all over again from scratch. Good luck to you. [cheers]

Which is why I suggest going with a 22lr option to allow cheap trigger time.

We have found the .22LR option to be useful in light of Mrs. Christopher's advancing arthritis in her hands and arms..........just another part of the joy when one becomes older than the trees around them.

We use both the Smith and Wesson Model 63 for her interest in revolvers and the Ruger Model 4 22/45 Lite and Mark 4 Target for our interest in semi-autos. Walmart has been selling CCI Mini-Mag copper wash 40 grain solids for $11.92 per 100 which is an economical way for us to each shoot 100 rounds on our regular range visits.

Back in 2011 a trauma room nurse with 20 years of experience in the medical field who also was a shooter wrote about her experiences dealing with gunshot wounds on a forum discussion about the lethality of .22LR in actual shootings.........her entry is the 12th one down on page 1 of the discussion.:

.22 LR Lethality

A police officer did an interesting study on calibers actually used in shootings back in 2013:

It does not really matter if one agrees or disagrees with the concept of .22LR as a defensive caliber........what does matter is that shooting is a perishable skill........ and employment of .22 LR affords individuals with less discretionary funds available the ability to support their firearm interests and a means to develop and hone the basics of small arms management in a more economical manner than does the use of larger calibers.

We have found the .22LR option to be useful in light of Mrs. Christopher's advancing arthritis in her hands and arms..........just another part of the joy when one becomes older than the trees around them.

We use both the Smith and Wesson Model 63 for her interest in revolvers and the Ruger Model 4 22/45 Lite and Mark 4 Target for our interest in semi-autos. Walmart has been selling CCI Mini-Mag copper wash 40 grain solids for $11.92 per 100 which is an economical way for us to each shoot 100 rounds on our regular range visits.

Back in 2011 a trauma room nurse with 20 years of experience in the medical field who also was a shooter wrote about her experiences dealing with gunshot wounds on a forum discussion about the lethality of .22LR in actual shootings.........her entry is the 12th one down on page 1 of the discussion.:

.22 LR Lethality

A police officer did an interesting study on calibers actually used in shootings back in 2013:

It does not really matter if one agrees or disagrees with the concept of .22LR as a defensive caliber........what does matter is that shooting is a perishable skill........ and employment of .22 LR affords individuals with less discretionary funds available the ability to support their firearm interests and a means to develop and hone the basics of small arms management in a more economical manner than does the use of larger calibers.
Federal punch is making a compelling case for 22 being for sd

The wife comments and digging past posts...I forgot the quality of some of the posters here. Be thankful life didn't hit you as it has me and my family in the past decade.
Thanks for those who are offering actual advice.
It is NES, we all give each other sh*t.

I have posted some stupid sh*t 12 years ago. If someone finds it and brings it up, I will laugh.

Back
Top Bottom