Only enough $ for one gun.

The OP mentioned range fun and being poor in the same sentence. I think that's where whacko is going with this and I agree with him.

Buy a Turkish shotty, or a cheap 250 dollar handgun, run a few rounds thru it is what is basically going to happen here. Range fun....will happen once, and then the poor will realize he bought something he cant afford to shoot much.

If your in MA, don't forget you'll need a safe to put it in, which will cost you even more.
The bolded statement us exactly what I'm saying....you managed to say it more betterer 😂. And when the op does this he will be among the vast majority of American gun owners.

Maybe more is getting read into my statement than what I really meant. I never said someone shouldn't do anything.

I think it's good advice to consider a budget for ammunition as well as the gun itself. I believe the VAST majority of Americans that own guns don't ever actually practice with them. As far as how I feel about americns owning guns with no budget for ammo and never practicing with them? I couldn't care less what they chose to do with their purchases 😂. But.....I do think it's pretty stupid to own guns and have very little proficiency with them or very little ammo to put through them. Basically my opinion is just that.....my opinion. People have a right to be stupid. 😂

You said it was “good advice”. And the advice you said was good, was to not buy a gun.

You said it was “good advice”. And the advice you said was good, was to not buy a gun.
Damn your going deeply literal today. 😂

I apparently didn't read the post I quoted with enough attention. Only one cup of coffee into my hangover morning it happens 😂

My "advice" to the op is consider ammo costs before you buy your first gun. Ammo for even once a month trips to the range will generally be way more expensive than most new gun owners think it is. If he's ok with buying a gun and 200 rounds.....shooting 150 rounds thru it.....and tucking it in a drawer for the rest if his life.......all good.....and again.....he'd be doing what shit tons of Americans do all the time.

I bet the op doest realize what "range fun" means to the wallet. I reload.....and spend about $8k a year on components to make my own for "range fun" ....practice....and league shooting. I bet most new gun owners would shit a cinder block of they knew that's what it actually f***ing costs to stay proficient and shoot often.

Home security speaks shotgun. Fun on the range tells me handgun. Find a carbine 9mm perhaps for a happy medium?
I was going to suggest a shotgun also. Can’t go wrong with a mossberg 500. Inexpensive also.

The downside is you can’t really conceal a shotgun without a trench coat. If you want to carry it, the sig would do nicely. Glocks are cheaper though.

You can probably get a shotgun and a Glock for what the sig will cost.

I apparently didn't read the post I quoted with enough attention. Only one cup of coffee into my hangover morning it happens 😂

My "advice" to the op is consider ammo costs before you buy your first gun. Ammo for even once a month trips to the range will generally be way more expensive than most new gun owners think it is. If he's ok with buying a gun and 200 rounds.....shooting 150 rounds thru it.....and tucking it in a drawer for the rest if his life.......all good.....and again.....he'd be doing what shit tons of Americans do all the time.

Yeah, definitely agree that ammo costs should be considered. Along with accessories like a holster (if he decides to carry), flashlight, safe (or if he just wants to use a trigger lock). Etc.

The “then don’t buy a gun” line just stood out to me. And I’m waiting on my coffee to brew. I could have been less terse. 😁

Yeah, definitely agree that ammo costs should be considered. Along with accessories like a holster (if he decides to carry), flashlight, safe (or if he just wants to use a trigger lock). Etc.

The “then don’t buy a gun” line just stood out to me. And I’m waiting on my coffee to brew. 😁

I bet the op doest realize what "range fun" means to the wallet. I reload.....and spend about $8k a year on components to make my own for "range fun" ....practice....and league shooting. I bet most new gun owners would shit a cinder block of they knew that's what it actually f***ing costs to stay proficient and shoot often.

My budget is $650 a month on my amo purchases and components.

My budget is $650 a month on my amo purchases and components.

I’m afraid to look at add up how much my ammo expenses are per year.

But I also remember when I was younger with much less spare cash. “Range fun” was going a couple times a year and shooting a couple boxes of ammo. It was limited, but still fun. Other range sessions were just shooting a mag methodically to practice fundamentals with recoil, and then heading home or to work. Overall, it was not a whole lot of shooting, but it’s what I could do.

Now, I realize how much more fun (and rewarding) it is to compete. Unfortunately that does increase ammo expenses considerably.

Get an AR, they are inexpensive, pick up a stripped lower for $50, a lower parts kit for $150, and get a PSA upper shipped to a friend in NH, buy a bunch of magazines and ammo and you will be close to the cost of the P365 Xmacro with optic.

Anyone saying am AR is bad for home defense because it will shoot through walls should try shooting walls with a 9mm and a shotgun. Here's the thing about bullets, if the can kill someone they can go through and inch of sheet rock.
BCA upper and lower build kit
One of the mill vendors advertised 2 stripped lowers for something like $100
Then pick up a 22r upper or conversion kit.

Better option is a cheap used carry gun and a 22 pistol.

Notice the addition of a 22lr option for training - a 325 box of federal is $22 at Walmart. This let's you train cheap

I'm also in the handgun camp vs the pump shotgun, it's far more versatile. As @PappyM3 mentioned, there is the benefit to being able to operate with a single hand and get multiple shots off vs pump where you need both hands. A handgun is also infinitely more maneuverable in a home defense scenario and more fun at the range unless you're into shooting clays. A handgun can also easily be taken outside the home for personal protection.

There's an in between lol

Op is also running the gamut on a 600 dollar gun and a gun that takes about 2500 to setup in an mpx

So who knows his situation

Op if this really is going to be your only gun(lolz) consider getting a micro roni capabale gun that way you can run it carbine style

Honestly though... get a sig macro for home defense and ccw... it's the best do it all pistol at the moment for that plus you get 3 mags in a rebate from sig

If your looking to step up your game after that get an ar

Op you also need to factor accessories in

If you run a home d gun id recommend a weapon light... and a ccw holster that accomodates it

Some people like optics on their guns as well

So save your self some time and hassle and budget for high end ones if those are your thing out the gate

A shitty pistol light that the battery drains every month in and a holster the gun is going to fall out of is just going to annoy you and waste money in the long run

AR's are a bad choice for home defense , they can penetrate through walls and could injure occupants in other rooms. Keep it simple buy a handgun and ideally a light.
Here we go again. Why are you making such a definitive statement? An AR for home defense is a good choice for many people if they don't live in a condo or an apartment. Every situation is different and dictates a number of different options for each situation. What's not a good choice for you may be the perfect choice for someo else.

Here we go again. Why are you making such a definitive statement? An AR for home defense is a good choice for many people if they don't live in a condo or an apartment. Every situation is different and dictates a number of different options for each situation. What's not a good choice for you may be the perfect choice for someo else.
ARs are fine for apartment dwellers too if you use the right ammo. OP seems to think that 9mm or shotgun rounds don't penetrate walls either when they can penetrate more than .223/5.56 depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:
AR's are a bad choice for home defense , they can penetrate through walls and could injure occupants in other rooms. Keep it simple buy a handgun and ideally a light.
my M&P Shield is first but if I see more than 1 attacker, out comes my AR.
Its just the wife and myself in our home.
With armed home invasions with multiple attackers on the rise, the AR is my choice

Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).... Looking at an Sig 365xl. Other recs? Maybe an Sig MPX (can you still get those in MA with removable mags?)
I'm confused.

Is your budget $600~ or $2000? Because if you can buy an MPX, you could buy multiples of pistols, shotguns, pretty much anything that's cheaper than an MPX. 🤣

Get an AR, they are inexpensive, pick up a stripped lower for $50, a lower parts kit for $150, and get a PSA upper shipped to a friend in NH, buy a bunch of magazines and ammo and you will be close to the cost of the P365 Xmacro with optic.

Anyone saying am AR is bad for home defense because it will shoot through walls should try shooting walls with a 9mm and a shotgun. Here's the thing about bullets, if the can kill someone they can go through and inch of sheet rock.
My experience with people that don't own guns, is that they will never do this.

Getting a new gun owner to buy online is hard enough. Getting to slap together an AR, good luck. I am sure some have. I tried several times and none of them listened, instead most of them bought a SW or Ruger and were done with it. Basically, they purchased whatever was like $500 and assembled at the store.

Ah yes, the eternal “over-penetration” discussion.

1. 5.56 does not penetrate more than pistol cartridges or buckshot. The high velocity, low mass will often destabilize once it hits terminal ballistics.

2. Every single cartridge that is effective enough to stop a threat, is also capable of penetrating through walls. Concern yourself with “overpenetration” of the threat, not a wall.

3. ARs are arguably the best choice for home defense. Great terminal ballistics, low recoil, easy to operate, good ammunition capacity. Pistol caliber carbines are a better alternative for only a few reasons:
- Reduced flash if you’re on a SWAT team raiding a drug lab
- Less concussion if you have someone who’s sensitive to that
- Ammo/mag compatibility if you’re limited in that for some reason.

Looking to get some home security and fun on the range. Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).
Living in MA, an AR might be out of my range budget-wise. Looking at an Sig 365xl. Other recs? Maybe an Sig MPX (can you still get those in MA with removable mags?)

Forgot to mention:

Don’t get an MPX. It’s a good PCC, but in MA you’re limited to 10 rounds because there are no pre-ban mags. It would be so neutered. And it’s expensive.

Looking to get some home security and fun on the range. Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).
Living in MA, an AR might be out of my range budget-wise. Looking at an Sig 365xl. Other recs? Maybe an Sig MPX (can you still get those in MA with removable mags?)
How much in the way of $ ? Home defense? Get a nice used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 12 gauge from a reputable dealer, along with a Savage MK II bolt action .22 rifle for range fun. Mount an inexpensive fixed 4X scope on the rifle and call it good. You will also need a long gun case or two, a gun cleaning kit, eye & ear protection, two trigger locks if you live in MA and, of course, some ammunition. Ballpark figure? Somewhere between $700 to $800. Remember, ammo costs will eventually exceed the cost of the guns, so please keep that in mind as well.

Ah yes, the eternal “over-penetration” discussion.

1. 5.56 does not penetrate more than pistol cartridges or buckshot. The high velocity, low mass will often destabilize once it hits terminal ballistics.

2. Every single cartridge that is effective enough to stop a threat, is also capable of penetrating through walls. Concern yourself with “overpenetration” of the threat, not a wall.

3. ARs are arguably the best choice for home defense. Great terminal ballistics, low recoil, easy to operate, good ammunition capacity. Pistol caliber carbines are a better alternative for only a few reasons:
- Reduced flash if you’re on a SWAT team raiding a drug lab
- Less concussion if you have someone who’s sensitive to that
- Ammo/mag compatibility if you’re limited in that for some reason.
In the realm of ammo cost they are more expensive than PCC's and 9mm handguns in general...which is in consideration here.

Total one gun for low cost multiple use would be a PCC or cheap 9mm handgun because ammo is cheaper and so isn't the gun

Even in a free state its tough to get an AR under 400-500 and no newbie is going into building one like Broc said.

In the realm of ammo cost they are more expensive than PCC's and 9mm handguns in general...which is in consideration here.

Total one gun for low cost multiple use would be a PCC or cheap 9mm handgun because ammo is cheaper and so isn't the gun

Even in a free state its tough to get an AR under 400-500 and no newbie is going into building one like Broc said.

True, if ammo cost is a factor, we can list that as #4. I think PCCs are way better HD guns than most people think. They’re phenomenal. I just think rifle caliber carbines are better in most situations.

Back
Top Bottom