Only enough $ for one gun.

Buy the cheapest pump action shotgun and the cheapest polymer pistol, doesn’t really matter which ones. I know you said not cheap guns.

But if you’re on a budget, this is what I would do if you don’t already own guns, then buy yourself some ammo and a holster for your pistol.
Then you have a loadout

You can just do a bunch of dry fire with your shotgun for training it’s not exactly rocket science.

It’s not like you’re planning on facing an armed attack.. just a violent intruder load it with birdshot or buck shot..

Just being shot at is a pretty good deterrent. Most people aren’t gonna stay around.

No, but the point is if there's a threat I'm going to the thing i have quick at hand which is probably going to be a handgun. Unless you leave shotguns sprinkled around your house they're going to be niche players at best.
Agreed. But if you ever think a threat may be coming, having a 12ga handy is not the worst choice.
Buy the cheapest pump action shotgun and the cheapest polymer pistol, doesn’t really matter which ones.
I disagree. If you buy the cheapest guns available, they will perform like the cheapest guns available, with very rare exception.
I would buy quality used before I bought new garbage. But everyone sure does seem to have a hardon for the Caniks.
Remember when S&W was selling Shields for like $200 bucks? I should have bought a couple and dropped in Apex triggers.

Buy the cheapest pump action shotgun and the cheapest polymer pistol, doesn’t really matter which ones. I know you said not cheap guns.

But if you’re on a budget, this is what I would do if you don’t already own guns, then buy yourself some ammo and a holster for your pistol.
Then you have a loadout

You can just do a bunch of dry fire with your shotgun for training it’s not exactly rocket science.

It’s not like you’re planning on facing an armed attack.. just a violent intruder load it with birdshot or buck shot..

Just being shot at is a pretty good deterrent. Most people aren’t gonna stay around.
So much bad advise in one post. I don't even know where to start. [laugh]

Then you have a loadout

Dont do this

I had a cz horde control pump that felt like a donkey was kicking my shoulder every shot

Turned me off shotguns for a while

The recoil was on par with a marlin 45/70 shooting leverolution

You could pick up one of many used 9mm guns, plus a used 12 ga shotgun, and maybe a used or even new .22 rifle for not all that much as a "starter pack". You'd be in for less than $900-1,000, which is STILL half the cost of the MPX you were referencing.

So much bad advise in one post. I don't even know where to start. [laugh]

Dont do this

I had a cz horde control pump that felt like a donkey was kicking my shoulder every shot

Turned me off shotguns for a while

The recoil was on par with a marlin 45/70 shooting leverolution

To each their own.. but for home defense on a “budget”. How many shots are you really gonna take.

OP - there are a couple of decent deals in the classifieds right now that you might want to look at.

Canik Elite for $390. Leaves you with plenty money for ammo and has a trigger that is becoming legendary.

Brand new Glock 19 gen 5 with 1000 rounds of ammo and an upgraded trigger. $800. It's a Glock - It's gonna work.

These are just a couple that you might find interesting. Add a decent belt and holster and you have a respectable carry package.
Pick up a bedside safe, and either of these is very suitable for home defense duty. Maybe pick up a good light.

Or you could head to your local gun shop and buy something with a tag on it. Might be worth a drive to the Mill

Wait…………..
You shit in the shower too?????????

My waffle stompin brotha from another mutha!!!!!!🤣🤣
wtf GIF

A gun that sucks to shoot doesnt get trained with

I get your point, but is he looking for a cool range toy, or real defense? it doesn’t take much experience to shoot a shotgun down the hallway..

How much training do you really need?
Don’t shoot yourself or your family members.

Couple shitty guns thousand rounds of ammo you’re good to go

If hes truly “on a budget” my suggestion is more than practical. Lots of people train with shitty guns. Make sure it works. Make sure you can kind of hit a man size target at 10 feet and that’s it.

Training and real life experience are two different things.. everyone should hope they never have to deal with the real experience.

I’m not arguing with you I’m just expressing a reasonable point of view. I don’t see how spending more money on a gun is going to make him more safe.

I would take a couple $300 guns and ammo over $1000 gun plus ammo.

Maybe he’s just skinflinting I don’t know.

Last edited:
OK, home defense shotguns don’t suck. They are actually pretty decent.

But you are totally correct, a carbine is just objectively better in every way. I still think a shotgun is leaps and bounds better than any handgun
Shotguns are great at ending the fight if you hit what you’re shooting at before you get shot. There’s no doubt about that.

Why I think they suck for home defense is they’re generally large and unwieldy in most tight quarters, they kick like a pissed off draft horse, they exceptionally loud and have a ton of blast which may or may not make a difference im not sure, follow up shots are slow, you have less rounds than most pistols and semi auto rifles, for most of us they’re miserable to train with to become as profficient as we could with a pistol or rifle, and also they’re really expensive to train with too.

There are probably other reasons too. For me, they’re not the best option. I actually think they’re good if the attacker is unarmed and there’s only one attacker. But if it was a gunfight or multiple attackers, I think they’re not a very good choice.

Op
I get your point, but is he looking for a cool range toy, or real defense? it doesn’t take much experience to shoot a shotgun down the hallway..

How much training do you really need?
Don’t shoot yourself or your family members.

Couple shitty guns thousand rounds of ammo you’re good to go

If hes truly “on a budget” my suggestion is more than practical. Lots of people train with shitty guns. Make sure it works. Make sure you can kind of hit a man size target at 10 feet and that’s it.

Training and real life experience are two different things.. everyone should hope they never have to deal with the real experience.

I’m not arguing with you I’m just expressing a reasonable point of view. I don’t see how spending more money on a gun is going to make him more safe.

I would take a couple $300 guns and ammo over $1000 gun plus ammo.

Maybe he’s just skinflinting I don’t know.
I kinda get your point

But cheaper guns you kinda need to know what your looking at...

And you need to have enough experience to cut bait or try and make them work

Someone financially strained may not know what to look for and what to do

Shotguns are great at ending the fight if you hit what you’re shooting at before you get shot. There’s no doubt about that.

Why I think they suck for home defense is they’re generally large and unwieldy in most tight quarters, they kick like a pissed off draft horse, they exceptionally loud and have a ton of blast which may or may not make a difference im not sure, follow up shots are slow, you have less rounds than most pistols and semi auto rifles, for most of us they’re miserable to train with to become as profficient as we could with a pistol or rifle, and also they’re really expensive to train with too.

There are probably other reasons too. For me, they’re not the best option. I actually think they’re good if the attacker is unarmed and there’s only one attacker. But if it was a gunfight or multiple attackers, I think they’re not a very good choice.

Didn't you read?

A few dry fire exercises, some birdshot and you are good to go using your new home defense weapon.

Alrighty, you guys have gotten me to lower my high standards yet again.
At this point in the redonkulas advice we have risen to.
Just get a rape whistle and a can of mace.
Save the rest for upper deckers, cheap booze and even cheaper women.

Well, I see Reptile has yet another NES account going with this one!

Why I think they suck for home defense is they’re generally large and unwieldy in most tight quarters, they kick like a pissed off draft horse, they exceptionally loud and have a ton of blast which may or may not make a difference I'm not sure, follow up shots are slow, you have less rounds than most pistols and semi auto rifles, for most of us they’re miserable to train with to become as proficient as we could with a pistol or rifle, and also they’re really expensive to train with too.

Why did I recommend a low-cost shotgun and low-end plastic 9mm handgun (in lieu of just one more expensive handgun) as a poor man's home starter kit? Because not all threats are human and sneaking around inside your bedroom at night for starters. There are other threat scenarios. And the Mossberg Maverick 88 Security is so amazingly cheap to buy (at around $199+Tx if you are a really good shopper) that it almost doesn't make sense not to own one. And load it up with Mini-Shells if you don't like the kick of a 12 Gauge.

So I say if you are really in a bad financial bind but want the most bang for the buck, don't spend it all on a Glock right away just because "Glock." Buy the Canik or buy the Taurus G3/G3c or buy something slightly used... and spend $200 and change of your tight budget on a low-cost shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom