• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Only enough $ for one gun.

Holy shit how did i miss out on this AIDSfest yesterday?

OP the best advice i can give you is ignore most of this

The OP has been debating about buying a gun since 2011, I don't think he/she is following anyone's advice [rofl]but NES will give the OP a 20-30 page thread with recommendations. People, stop falling for these fake accounts, or, maybe, the OP has been saving since 2011 and still only has enough money for one gun and he/she is really going to buy one this time. [rofl]

Last edited:
The OP has been debating about buying a gun since 2011, I don't think he/she is following anyone's advice [rofl]but NES will give the OP a 20-30 page thread with recommendations. People, stop falling for these fake accounts, or, maybe, the OP has been saving since 2011and still only has enough money for one gun and he/she is really going to buy one this time. [rofl]
Some people take a very long time to make-up their mind. [thumbsup]

Home security speaks shotgun. Fun on the range tells me handgun. Find a carbine 9mm perhaps for a happy medium?

Agree. If home security is the primary purpose, a shotgun is the clear winner. Plus - it's dual purpose. You can have some fun at the range with it, shooting clays, you can hunt with it and put food on the table in a pinch.

If all you can get is ONE gun to fill multiple roles, there can be no argument that a shotgun is the best option IMHO.

The OP has been debating about buying a gun since 2011, I don't think he/she is following anyone's advice [rofl]but NES will give the OP a 20-30 page thread with recommendations. People, stop falling for these fake accounts, or, maybe, the OP has been saving since 2011 and still only has enough money for one gun and he/she is really going to buy one this time. [rofl]

You just don't understand

He's had a tough 11 years... and that has made him a pussy

Thanks for tracking that down like that!

Agree. If home security is the primary purpose, a shotgun is the clear winner. Plus - it's dual purpose. You can have some fun at the range with it, shooting clays, you can hunt with it and put food on the table in a pinch.

If all you can get is ONE gun to fill multiple roles, there can be no argument that a shotgun is the best option IMHO.
Changing barrels on a shotty seems like an advanced class

OP, KYS

You just don't understand

He's had a tough 11 years... and that has made him a pussy
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
We really don't know what has been going on in the OP's life, so that is not fair. We are lucky that life has not forced us to make decisions that are hard to swallow. Because I will tell you, for sure, I would sell every gun and every round of ammo, if I had to, for any of my kids. And you would too.
I thank God that I am not faced with those choices
A bazillion Ruger P series will work forever.
That is because none of them have fired more than a magazine of ammo through them. I fired a P89 once and honestly thought there was something wrong with it. I let the guy who owned it fire my Sig 226 with a short reset trigger and he got rid of the Ruger and bought an old Sig ( 229)
Poor bastid really thought he was just an awful shooter. He wasn't. It was just the Ruger was so horrrrible that he couldn't hit anything with it. Absolute hot garbage.

OP got his license 12 years ago, presumably renewed twice at this point, and still hasn't figured out how to buy his first gun.

My advice is to buy a sling shot. If he can manage to do that then we'll talk about his first big boy gun.
Op is a troll. And a slingshot is too much for him to handle, he may got hurt using it lol.

That is because none of them have fired more than a magazine of ammo through them. I fired a P89 once and honestly thought there was something wrong with it. I let the guy who owned it fire my Sig 226 with a short reset trigger and he got rid of the Ruger and bought an old Sig ( 229)
Poor bastid really thought he was just an awful shooter. He wasn't. It was just the Ruger was so horrrrible that he couldn't hit anything with it. Absolute hot garbage.
This is totally wrong and off-base.

Here you go:

This is totally wrong and off-base.

Here you go:
You are right. I got the model number wrong... it was a P85. And it was absolute garbage.

Not sure what showing a page on Gunbroker of a bunch of hot garbage on sale for less than $150 bucks proves? One ad the current bid is less than the shipping!
[rofl]
The P series was absolute dog shit. Any target further away than the counter of the gas station it was being used to rob, was as safe as if they never left the house.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.
We really don't know what has been going on in the OP's life, so that is not fair. We are lucky that life has not forced us to make decisions that are hard to swallow. Because I will tell you, for sure, I would sell every gun and every round of ammo, if I had to, for any of my kids. And you would too.
I thank God that I am not faced with those choices

Everyone has problems...

But 11 years to go from can i store my gun at a range to i only need one gun... that's not personal problems

Im sure i have multiple dickish posts from back in the day

But when it came to buying guns and ignoring mass laws i still did all that

There are a LOT of good guns out there that are not "cool" or currently crowd favorites. A bazillion Ruger P series will work forever. Lots of Walthers, etc. out there collecting dust because someone moved to the next new thing.

Yep. Prices on things like BHPs, for example, have been low for the past few years. GREAT value.

Op
I kinda get your point

But cheaper guns you kinda need to know what your looking at...

And you need to have enough experience to cut bait or try and make them work

Someone financially strained may not know what to look for and what to do
Exactly by piece of shit I mean an inexpensive gun I’m not saying going buy one that doesn’t work.

Also, to address another post what do you mean you guys don’t have a shower gun?

I have a friend who has had an ltc in MA for a number of years now and the only reason he got it was he inherited a bunch of firearms from his dad who passed and didn’t want to be in non-compliance. He has never carried and never bought a firearm himself.

I take him shooting once in a while and he enjoys it, but his wife doesn’t like having guns in the house and that colors everything he does. Different strokes for different folks.

No judgement on OP. For some, guns and 2A aren’t everything. Hell, it’s only in the last year my own wife has gotten serious about firearms and getting her LTC and training. Before that, she just gave me the “boys and their toys” look when I talked about firearms. Now she realizes her/our safety is our own responsibility. There’s more to the transition, but that’s for another thread.

Anyway, OP, judgement free here. If this is a troll job, well done.

JFC.....Im done answering these types of threads. I generally don't and this is why.

Exactly by piece of shit I mean an inexpensive gun I’m not saying going buy one that doesn’t work.

Also, to address another post what do you mean you guys don’t have a shower gun?
I just meant dr grant... but do you not?

And where I disagree with you on buy cheap

Unless you know firearms I'd steer clear from cheap

For example

I like the look of the taurus gx4... I feel like I'm ok to buy one because I have 3 other carry guns and I can take my time and run enough ammo through it to trust it to carry. And if i get a shitty qc one i can wait however long it takes to come back from the factory because it's not filling an immediate need.

However a new gun owner might just see they see cheap look ok and grab one and it may be a suspect qc one... and he doesn't know what to do with it if it breaks in training or worse

There are def cheap guns i trust with my life... just not a newb thing imo

I just meant dr grant... but do you not?

And where I disagree with you on buy cheap

Unless you know firearms I'd steer clear from cheap

For example

I like the look of the taurus gx4... I feel like I'm ok to buy one because I have 3 other carry guns and I can take my time and run enough ammo through it to trust it to carry. And if i get a shitty qc one i can wait however long it takes to come back from the factory because it's not filling an immediate need.

However a new gun owner might just see they see cheap look ok and grab one and it may be a suspect qc one... and he doesn't know what to do with it if it breaks in training or worse

There are def cheap guns i trust with my life... just not a newb thing imo
I’m sorry I lost in this thread at this point but you are correct you buy a gun you put some rounds through it till it functions properly and you’re good to go I guess for a newbie you’re right they might just say “oh that’s cheap” and wind up with a Taurus.

Another example is I have a S&W sigma around here somewhere that I won at a raffle… to me, that’s a piece of shit. It’s just not my cup of tea, but it’s totally functional. New I think they are 3-350$.
They don’t call the sigma anymore. It’s called something else.

But something like that paired with a shotgun..
I don’t know what to suggest off the top of my head but for example, my Remington 20 gauge that I got when I was 11 years old isn’t a piece of shit and I think it only cost $200 and we got one used for I don’t know 30-40 bucks cheaper..

I’m sure they’re more expensive than that now but everyone actually need a 12 gauge. I’m pretty sure a 20 gauge work just perfectly. It’s lightweight very small easy to handle and maneuver.

It’s not a macho contest. An inexpensive pistol, and an inexpensive 20 gauge would be perfect for home defense but you are correct somebody who’s never bought a gun before wouldn’t know these things.

Looking to get some home security and fun on the range. Have only enough $ for one gun (would also be my only one).
Living in MA, an AR might be out of my range budget-wise. Looking at an Sig 365xl. Other recs? Maybe an Sig MPX (can you still get those in MA with removable mags?)
Ok now for an honest answer:

Unless you are messing with us, the MPX price tag is out of the question.

Sounds a bit like this might be a first gun? Think about a Sig P322. Perfect for range fun, reasonable price, and 22LR is dirt cheap.

If you absolutely must have something self defense capable, pick your favorite 9mm from Sig or Glock.

Ok now for an honest answer:

Unless you are messing with us, the MPX price tag is out of the question.

Sounds a bit like this might be a first gun? Think about a Sig P322. Perfect for range fun, reasonable price, and 22LR is dirt cheap.

If you absolutely must have something self defense capable, pick your favorite 9mm from Sig or Glock.

Sigs and glocks are outdated and unreliable. Get yourself either an HK or a Walther. The hipoint yeet cannon is good too.

Only enough $ for one gun doesn’t make sense. Buy turkish and you can get 3 for the price of one lol. What’s your max budget? Can easily get a 12ga home defense and a small edc carry for under $600.

Sigs and glocks are outdated and unreliable. Get yourself either an HK or a Walther. The hipoint yeet cannon is good too.
Sigs are not unreliable. Some of their SA/DA’s are quite honestly some of the finest quality I’ve ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 9

There have been several excellent arguments as to why a shotgun isn’t the best option, humble opinions aside.

Interestingly, I took a group of relative newbs to the range earlier today. One guy brought his Mossberg 500. It was his first gun, the best HD gun in his opinion at the time (he’s since picked up a rifle & a couple of handguns). Had all sorts of issues w/ short strokes & generally handling/manipulating the firearm. Admittedly, he doesn’t train with it and he said “yeah, today was a wake up call, prob not the best choice for me in an emergency”. He shoots pistol 1-2x a mo and is far more competent w that). Also noted the recoil vs the PCCs & ARs we were shooting.

Back
Top Bottom