• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYC Councilwoman Is Packing Heat

NYC was forced to go to "shall issue" as a result of New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen, which is why NYPD piled on all these new "objective" hurdles to the application process.
I'm more concerned about the woman who took a 3-day 18 hour training class while 9 months pregnant. Good for her for getting training, but the noise is horrible for the baby and it will likely have hearing damage as a result.
Most of that is classroom training, even the two hours of "live fire training" isn't live; looks like you only actually need to fire 5 rounds (which is 3 more than I shot for my Florida license).

This is perhaps the most concerning statement in that article in my opinion. It sounds/smells like "suitability".

I suspect that if I lived in NY, my postings here on NES, (I don't do FaceBook, Twitter, InstaGram, etc), would be sufficient in some people's eyes to deem me unsuitable.
I wouldn't think this site counts, either way, I wouldn't list it. The others that you mentioned definitely do count. On those sites, you would want to show yourself being stupidly drunk, high on drugs, committing illegal acts, pictures of your kids, provocative pictures of yourself, along with telling everyone in the world that you are on vacation and your house is now easy pickings!

From the article - "New York State’s concealed-carry license also requires four character references, a list of former and current social media accounts for the last three years, an in-person interview, and disclosure of an applicant’s spouse or domestic partner as well as any other adults residing in the home."
Lol NY state requires you to give up your social media passwords? What if you don't use social media is that considered SUS?

From the article - "New York State’s concealed-carry license also requires four character references, a list of former and current social media accounts for the last three years, an in-person interview, and disclosure of an applicant’s spouse or domestic partner as well as any other adults residing in the home."
Lol NY state requires you to give up your social media passwords?
Consensus is "list all social media accounts used in the previous 3 years" requires just usernames, for any sites considered to be "social media", not your full login credentials.

Neither the text of the law nor the application form is of any help:
1694965769548.png
I wonder how many applicants include passwords, and whether the paperwork is FOIA eligible?
What if you don't use social media is that considered SUS?
Perhaps 90% of US adults use at least one "social media" platform, with about 75% of adults actively using Facebook, Most have 5+ accounts.
That still leaves millions who make little or no use of social media; working in an internet-centric industry, my coworkers rarely post to anything more social than LinkedIn.

New York City has claimed that leaving this section completely blank would result in summary denial of the application.

TMK, Antonyuk v. Nigrelli (Antonyuk II) is still working through the courts?

Last edited:
Consensus is "list all social media accounts used in the previous 3 years" requires just usernames, for any sites considered to be "social media", not your full login credentials.

Neither the text of the law nor the application form is of any help:
View attachment 796938
I wonder how many applicants include passwords, and whether the paperwork is FOIA eligible?

Perhaps 90% of US adults use at least one "social media" platform, with about 75% of adults actively using Facebook, Most have 5+ accounts.
That still leaves millions who make little or no use of social media; working in an internet-centric industry, my coworkers rarely post to anything more social than LinkedIn.

New York City has claimed that leaving this section completely blank would result in summary denial of the application.

Have an account and use it are 2 different things

That's wild though it's an immediate denial

Ah i forgot about linked in though

Lol NY state requires you to give up your social media passwords? What if you don't use social media is that considered SUS?
I think it's just the account names so they can view the public stuff.

The question is "what is social media?". Obviously the giants like facebook, but what of forums like NES? Do small specialty forums count?

yes, oral arguments on the motion were held at CA2 earlier this year in March after SCOTUS declined to intervene. Still waiting on a decision from the 3 judge panel.

The ‘supply all your socials and email addresses’ stuff started quite some time back (I'm thinking 10+yrs at least), as part of the police academy application + background check process.

The ‘supply all your socials and email addresses’ stuff started quite some time back (I'm thinking 10+yrs at least), as part of the police academy application + background check process.
That’s employment application - not the same as required to get permit to exercise constitutional right.

Kind of pissy right now. Had conversation with son’s friend, a retired LEO re NM executive order and he’s ok with it. He went with “i believe in the 2nd amendment, but”

Really tired of govt agencies assuming powers they’re not entitled to.

Oh yeah, didn't Hochul make possession of body armor illegal in NY? Can't make it more difficult for cops to kill you, now can we?

They say she had 16 hours of classroom training and 2 hours of live fire training snd THAT’S the belt she uses? A bungee strap would offer a more taut draw than that fashion belt.

View attachment 796821
That’s a frigging SIRT gun. Forget the belt. It’s a laser training gun!!!

What a joke

That’s employment application - not the same as required to get permit to exercise constitutional right.

Kind of pissy right now. Had conversation with son’s friend, a retired LEO re NM executive order and he’s ok with it. He went with “i believe in the 2nd amendment, but”

Really tired of govt agencies assuming powers they’re not entitled to.
Not surprised in the least. Lot of cops feel this way because they’ve bought into the whole taking guns away will make the streets safer bs like most of society. It’s really more of a human thing than a cop thing. Some people just get scared easy and want to believe the fairy tales of a safer world (run by tyrants).

Not surprised in the least. Lot of cops feel this way because they’ve bought into the whole taking guns away will make the streets safer bs like most of society. It’s really more of a human thing than a cop thing. Some people just get scared easy and want to believe the fairy tales of a safer world (run by tyrants).
Guess his oath wasn't absolute either

The class may have used 22's. Better than a 9mm blast.
I would really hope so, and a subsonic 22 would be relatively safe in comparison. But hearing damage is serious and even fireworks can be a concern. My wife gave up shooting while pregnant in an abundance of caution, even bullseye 22 matches where everyone is shooting subsonics.

Back
Top Bottom