• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Standard licensing requirements -> Non-Statutory licensing requirements

Have you seen some of the BS requirements in Sherborn?

http://www.sherbornma.org/Pages/SherbornMA_Police/firearms

All “New Applicants” must demonstrate his/her knowledge in the care and proper handling of firearms. In order to satisfy this requirement, the applicant must submit a letter/certificate from a Certified Instructor, who has been approved by the issuing authority, with his/her application certifying the applicant’s qualifications. Such letter/certificate shall attest to the applicant’s completion of a course on firearms use and safety. Such course must have been completed within six months prior to the date of application.

Read that one closely. [thinking]

and

3. The Chief of Police, or his designee, shall conduct a personal interview with all applicants prior to the issuance or denial of any license. The purpose of this interview is to clarify any matters still in doubt, to determine if there is an actual need for the carrying of a firearm, and in general to assist in the determination if the applicant shall be granted a license to carry a firearm.

I have been informed that in Newton I have to meet with a Lt. and he is likely, ontop of the interview, to give me a pop quiz. Has anyone here, from Newton, done this? I'm just wondering if you can give me a heads up on the kind of information he asks.
Thanks

I was just told by a guy that he was issued a licence to carry, but the police chief put a 5 round mag restriction on the license. I have never heard of anything like this, and not having seen the ltc in question, have my doubts. That being said, this is Mass, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Has anyone here encountered this?

I was just told by a guy that he was issued a licence to carry, but the police chief put a 5 round mag restriction on the license. I have never heard of anything like this, and not having seen the ltc in question, have my doubts. That being said, this is Mass, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Has anyone here encountered this?

Can you confirm this? I would not be surprised but I really don't believe it. There are no 5 rd pistol mags in this country so he is basically saying he can't carry.

Yeah, a revolver may make it, but he is being limited to even a small subset of those too. Few revolvers are 5 shot.

The X-Frame revolvers are 5-shot, are they not? [devil]

Can you confirm this? I would not be surprised but I really don't believe it. There are no 5 rd pistol mags in this country so he is basically saying he can't carry.

ETA: On a serious note, the Kahr MK series pistols come with 5-round magazines. Not that they're easy to get around here, or that it makes that BS any more acceptable....

Last edited:
The X-Frame revolvers are 5-shot, are they not? [devil]

Yes, I said a few, but not all.

But to what I think your point it, this is my philosophy with carry guns in MA. If they are going to limit my rounds to ten, I will find the biggest rounds that I can fit 10 of in. I carry in either .357 sig in compacts or .45s. I waste very little space and don't carry neutered mags. [grin]

Yes, I said a few, but not all.

But to what I think your point it, this is my philosophy with carry guns in MA. If they are going to limit my rounds to ten, I will find the biggest rounds that I can fit 10 of in. I carry in either .357 sig in compacts or .45s. I waste very little space and don't carry neutered mags. [grin]

I've read elsewhere that the AW/hi-cap ban led to a big resurgence in .45 carry pistols.

Personally, if I was restricted to carrying 5-rd guns, I'd just carry two. Maybe three. [laugh]

Thankfully, as it stands, I can carry 46 rounds of .40 when I want to.

The guy told me that when he received his LTC-A in Pembroke, the licensing officer verbally told him he was only allowed 5 rounds per mag. I advised him that it sounded like b.s. to me, and that if it doesn't show that restriction on the license itself or anywhere else, it's unenforceable. I also told him to contact GOAL or an atty familiar with Mass gun laws.

The guy told me that when he received his LTC-A in Pembroke, the licensing officer verbally told him he was only allowed 5 rounds per mag. I advised him that it sounded like b.s. to me, and that if it doesn't show that restriction on the license itself or anywhere else, it's unenforceable. I also told him to contact GOAL or an atty familiar with Mass gun laws.

OK, so it's a verbal thing. Yeah, likely not enforceable, but until suitability dies, he is subject to losing his license. What did the actual restrictions say?

All lawful purposes, according to him.

Then we're back to debating every dumb thing we've ever heard from a cop, we could make a mega-thread on that! Unless they put it into writing or took some action against your friend, its really not worth even talking about. Just more FUD.

Maybe the LO officer was talking about the range rules at one of the club?

Add Arlington to the list of towns doing 'Sign a copy of the "Acknowledgment of the limits on the use of deadly force"'. (They've been doing that for at least 6 years, though it's the only non-statutory thing they do.)

Add Arlington to the list of towns doing 'Sign a copy of the "Acknowledgment of the limits on the use of deadly force"'. (They've been doing that for at least 6 years, though it's the only non-statutory thing they do.)

Thanks for the heads up. Updated now.

Just heard from a student who applied in Canton. (Don't say it; I know how bad it is.)

The wouldn't take her application, but instead gave her 8 pages of application and instructions, and told her to phone them for an appointment. If she misses the appointment, she isn't allowed to phone for another one for 45 days.

The require two letters of reference that contain "the writer's thoughts about the applicant's
request for a firearm permit. They must include address and phone number where reference can
be reached and the letters cannot be from relatives. The also require a "clear and articulate reason for requesting the license". (Somehow I don't think that "All Lawful Purposes" or "Because the stupid law requires that I have one" would work all that well.)

Ken

Just heard from a student who applied in Canton. (Don't say it; I know how bad it is.)

The wouldn't take her application, but instead gave her 8 pages of application and instructions, and told her to phone them for an appointment. If she misses the appointment, she isn't allowed to phone for another one for 45 days.

The require two letters of reference that contain "the writer's thoughts about the applicant's
request for a firearm permit. They must include address and phone number where reference can
be reached and the letters cannot be from relatives. The also require a "clear and articulate reason for requesting the license". (Somehow I don't think that "All Lawful Purposes" or "Because the stupid law requires that I have one" would work all that well.)

Ken

There is a special spot in hell reserved for that PD...

Back
Top Bottom