Non-Standard licensing requirements -> Non-Statutory licensing requirements

Done. Thanks. Also, don't forget to fill out the comm2A licensing survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6M9GPHD

Thanks. I filled out the survey. Also, I left a few things out for Braintree: Must submit a copy of your birth certificate, write a letter to the Chief giving reasons why you need a license, write down social security number on application, $100 CASH only for application fee

Thanks. I filled out the survey. Also, I left a few things out for Braintree: Must submit a copy of your birth certificate, write a letter to the Chief giving reasons why you need a license, write down social security number on application, $100 CASH only for application fee
What, no five reference letters? The SS# requirement is BS, they cant do that. That would be an easy win.

I had my LTC many years ago,,expired in 1991...also my lifetime FID...(it was a short life)...I'm in the process on applying for my LTC A in Attleboro. I picked up the packet from the PD about 3 weeks ago, got my 2 letters of recommendation and headed down to make my appointment, From the time I picked up the application to the time I went to drop it off the rules changes...now they require the letters to be notarized. Sent my friends emails and asked them to have the letters notarized..I guess I'll have to buy them lunch and try again next week...

I had my LTC many years ago,,expired in 1991...also my lifetime FID...(it was a short life)...I'm in the process on applying for my LTC A in Attleboro. I picked up the packet from the PD about 3 weeks ago, got my 2 letters of recommendation and headed down to make my appointment, From the time I picked up the application to the time I went to drop it off the rules changes...now they require the letters to be notarized. Sent my friends emails and asked them to have the letters notarized..I guess I'll have to buy them lunch and try again next week...

I didnt need any letters of recommendation in Attleboro when I got my LTC-A. WTF! Also, I got restrictions:none with barely even trying......

Aside from the fact that it's in MA, my town (Hopedale) is terrific. Going from an old FID to an LTC-A, they imposed no requirements beyond the state form and, since I was so close to the expiration date on the FID, the officer gave me a copy of the application so I wouldn't have a problem buying ammo if the LTC came in after the FID expired.

Oh, and putting "for all lawful purposes" on the application resulted in restrictions: none. Some days it pays to live in Mayberry!

I was so close to the expiration date on the FID, the officer gave me a copy of the application so I wouldn't have a problem buying ammo if the LTC came in after the FID expired.

While that was very nice of the officer, I doubt you will find many shops that have any interest in following the grace period provided by MGL. In fact, the state on-line system for processing gun sales will reject lawful sales during the grace period. (and yes, I know you're talking about ammo).

Stoneham PD (direct copy and paste of instructions letter)

PROCESS FOR OBTAINING A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS OR FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD

- The applicant must supply a certificate stating he has successfully completed a safety course given by an NRA approved instructor.
- There is a $100 fee payable at the time of your appointment. $25 covers the processing and $75 goes to the Firearms Record Keeping Fund of the Department of Public Safety.
- You must have a full set of fingerprints done at the Stoneham Police Department. The fingerprints will then be sent to the State Police Identification Section where a fingerprint record search will be conducted.
- A letter to the Chief of Police must accompany each License to Carry Firearms (LTC) application. The letter must explain the reason for the requesting an LTC. In addition it is required that you submit two letters of reference attesting to your competence, character etc. If the applicant wishes the permit for work related reasons, he must submit a letter from his immediate supervisor explaining the necessity of an LTC.
- All applicants must call for an appointment to be fingerprinted, photographed and electronically complete an application.
- Permits are valid for six years from last birthday.
- Permits have a "grace period" of 90 days provided renewal is completed prior to expiration date.
- Processing of permits will take at least 2 months. Under some circumstances i.e. problems getting records check from probation, problems getting fingerprint cards back from State Police etc there may be a delay.
- Permits will be mailed to your home address when completed

Testing in Ayer

Ayer makes the applicant take (and pass) a test on Mass gun laws.

I got my LTC/A in April 2011 and only had to show proof of taking a course. Of course, I did have to wait 4 months rather than the statutory 40 days. They might be trying to close the gate after I got through, eh?

I just got mine. Had to make an appointment to submit the application and be fingerprinted (same day). It took Quincy 40 workdays to get me the permit. I had to submit the name and address and numbers of 3 references. Not letters. Also, I had to put together a letter to the chief stating why I wanted to have a permit. I got a Restrictions: none LTC permit. It was worth the wait.
With regards to those other towns with such absurd and completely non-standard requirements, what recourse does the applicant have? They are definitely not following the law and from my readings and understanding, the law as written does not provide such latitude to the licensing authority other than the ability to establish restrictions.
I guess it is part of living on the Republic of MA and the power trip that most PD Chiefs get.

I just got mine. Had to make an appointment to submit the application and be fingerprinted (same day). It took Quincy 40 workdays to get me the permit. I had to submit the name and address and numbers of 3 references. Not letters. Also, I had to put together a letter to the chief stating why I wanted to have a permit. I got a Restrictions: none LTC permit. It was worth the wait.
With regards to those other towns with such absurd and completely non-standard requirements, what recourse does the applicant have? They are definitely not following the law and from my readings and understanding, the law as written does not provide such latitude to the licensing authority other than the ability to establish restrictions.
I guess it is part of living on the Republic of MA and the power trip that most PD Chiefs get.
Depending upon the requirements, a law suit aimed at taking suitability out of the question is likely to be very successful. The only problem with this approach is the universal licensing requirement we have. No one is going to go through a two year legal process, during which time they can't own any guns, just to prove a point. Everyone will suck it up and do what their chief wants. This is THE primary obstacle to bringing a suitability challenge.

Depending upon the requirements, a law suit aimed at taking suitability out of the question is likely to be very successful. The only problem with this approach is the universal licensing requirement we have. No one is going to go through a two year legal process, during which time they can't own any guns, just to prove a point. Everyone will suck it up and do what their chief wants. This is THE primary obstacle to bringing a suitability challenge.

Tries talking my retired father in law into being a willing applicant, but no dice :-(

The police chief in Lowell simply refuses to grant anyone an ALP license - the best you can do is a class A with a "Sporting" restriction. When I asked about their policy for transporting my handgun in my SUV (no lockable trunk) I was told I should purchase a lockable steel safe and bolt it down in the rear of my GMC Envoy - yeah okay lady

Other than volunteering information you don't need to, what is the downside to putting ssn on the form? If its optional, why is it even on there?

This would be a perfect opportunity for some guy's spouse to play the game. Let's say the husband has his restricted license in town X and his wife doesn't care if she has an LTC or not. Hubby would have to convince her to help him out by being the test case. Probably get an NRA Instructor to teach her the necessary class for free but she'd still need to come up with the $100 to apply for the LTC. She would then let the COP issue her a restricted license and be in the drivers seat to sue.

Other than volunteering information you don't need to, what is the downside to putting ssn on the form? If its optional, why is it even on there?

Risk of Identity theft would be a major downside. Some people have problems getting delayed while purchasing from FFLs and I've heard a SSN helps that.

This would be a perfect opportunity for some guy's spouse to play the game. Let's say the husband has his restricted license in town X and his wife doesn't care if she has an LTC or not. Hubby would have to convince her to help him out by being the test case. Probably get an NRA Instructor to teach her the necessary class for free but she'd still need to come up with the $100 to apply for the LTC. She would then let the COP issue her a restricted license and be in the drivers seat to sue.
That's the ideal scenario. Someone's sympathetic spouse, sibling, relative, etc. Getting people to offer up a loved one for such an endeavor is harder than you think.

Just applied for my renewal in Walpole. After getting the prints and photo done I got a call from the licensing Officer.
He was very pleasant and said he had a couple questions to ask me. I said ok.

First he asked what "guns do you have" or was it "what types of guns do you have" I don't remember which, I told him I collect WWII and Boston Police Guns, that started a short talk about the BPD guns as they are interesting.

Second he asked "how do you have the guns stored"

I told him, in Stack-On Cabinets, in a room with no window and only one door with an outside door lock on it, and that room has a 24x7 monitored alarm with radio and battery backups.

He said thank you very much and I should get my renewal in about 2 months (it runs out in a month) and that the old one is good for 90 days after the expiration. When I mentioned I go to Cowboy Shoots in RI he said not to travel out of state until I have the new license.

Just applied for my renewal in Walpole. After getting the prints and photo done I got a call from the licensing Officer.
He was very pleasant and said he had a couple questions to ask me. I said ok.

First he asked what "guns do you have" or was it "what types of guns do you have" I don't remember which, I told him I collect WWII and Boston Police Guns, that started a short talk about the BPD guns as they are interesting.

Second he asked "how do you have the guns stored"

I told him, in Stack-On Cabinets, in a room with no window and only one door with an outside door lock on it, and that room has a 24x7 monitored alarm with radio and battery backups.

He said thank you very much and I should get my renewal in about 2 months (it runs out in a month) and that the old one is good for 90 days after the expiration. When I mentioned I go to Cowboy Shoots in RI he said not to travel out of state until I have the new license.

Now, will you get unrestricted from Walpole?

He does realize your MA permit isn't recognized by RI anyways, correct? What a tool.

I have had All Lawful Purposes for 12 years, but it was helped by a letter by my State Senator Joann Sprague (Scott Brown took her place when she retired), I am certainly hoping they don't change that.
In Walpole for a first LTC you have to have a written declaration of a "creditible threat to you or you family" to get an unrestricted.

In Mass you have to be respectful and careful in your answers or you might find your police department being the test case for "denied for suitabilty"
FIFY

Suitability has been tested and upheld but the state's court, but not recently. Denying an LTC to someone merely because they refuse to disclose what guns they own is an ideal federal test case. That said, I would never suggest that someone try this thinking they were going to change the world unless they had already engaged in some very careful planning.

Manchester by the Sea not a resident, but was at PD for other business. Sheet explaining LTC process Requires new safety course with each renewal.

I'm still waiting for my LTC-A in Brookline. I needed letter stating range membership, 2 letters of recommendation, check (no cash) for the $100, letter to Chief of Police explaining my NEED, and to pass the Moon Island revolver proficiency test. I was also told I will definitely not get the ALP, and if I didn't amend my letter to the CoP stating I was willing to accept restrictions, I would probably get denied. So I had to write "willing to accept restrictions" and initial it on the letter.

Called and spoke with the intern there and he told me I will most likely get my LTC-A, it will probably take 8 weeks from when I started, and he put a note about my willingness for restrictions. So, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom