• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Standard licensing requirements -> Non-Statutory licensing requirements

The Non-Res. LTC app specifies that the BFS must be "recent" for new applicants.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/Non-resident_20100126.pdf

4. Firearms Safety Course: First time applicants must submit a copy of a recent certificate showing completion of a basic firearm safety course given in their home state or in Massachusetts.

Apparently having a license imparts special knowledge that can't be forgotten through the passage of time...

While glancing at the summary above.... something comes to mind...

watertown and douche... not sure why those two words keep coming to mind. [rolleyes]

Why hasn't anyone taken on this ridiculous crap in h20?

-----------

And Re: The signed copy of the limitations of Deadly force etc. So what? Does that mean if you do something against those laws/regs since you signed the doc they can something else to you? Any cases on this?

Last edited:
And Re: The signed copy of the limitations of Deadly force etc. So what? Does that mean if you do something against those laws/regs since you signed the doc they can something else to you? Any cases on this?

They can do whatever they want with suitability. It's just to make them feel better; there's no liability on a chief who issues you a license if they followed all applicable laws (meaning you weren't prohibited by statute and/or federal law).

They can do whatever they want with suitability. It's just to make them feel better; there's no liability on a chief who issues you a license if they followed all applicable laws (meaning you weren't prohibited by statute and/or federal law).
There's no liability period - SCOTUS has been abundantly clear that the police have "no duty to protect."

This was just a canard to rationalize/justify expansion of power. Legally speaking, even if there were any "duty to protect." the safe haven would be following the letter of the law rather than inventing your own personal mechanisms...

The logic would go that you thought the law was insufficient and came up with your own scheme, but here we still have someone being injured/killed/menaced/etc... So, clearly this scheme you came up with on your own was insufficient and here you are without the usual immunity of a legislature/state...

Of course, the reality is as stated previously - they have no duty to protect you and as such any failing of same has no liability. The only true liability they face is that of violation of civil rights to which immunity of various forms to the "sovereign" does not apply because it has been waved for civil rights (and rightly so).

Is there any statute that states how long a delay between completing a safety course and applying for an LTC is acceptable? What if a person takes a safety course and waits 12 months before applying?

Is there any statute that states how long a delay between completing a safety course and applying for an LTC is acceptable? What if a person takes a safety course and waits 12 months before applying?

I see nothing in the statute that requires the course to be within a certain amount of time. But there might be regulations that I'm unaware of. The statute requiring firearm safety courses is here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

Edited to add: I found the governing regulation and don't see anything in there about it either: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...mr300_instructors_course_surrender&csid=Eeops

I see nothing in the statute that requires the course to be within a certain amount of time. But there might be regulations that I'm unaware of. The statute requiring firearm safety courses is here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

Thanks, I had read that one and didn't see anything either. Further, my wife took a safety course 2 years ago and never got around to applying. I asked the licensing officer in my town and she said as long as she's taken the course, they're fine with it.

Thanks, I had read that one and didn't see anything either. Further, my wife took a safety course 2 years ago and never got around to applying. I asked the licensing officer in my town and she said as long as she's taken the course, they're fine with it.

IIRC there is no time limit but some towns use suitability to enforce one.

Bump.
I added Rowley and changed the thread title.

Run around town proving you don't owe back taxes, fees, etc and proving a negative in order to apply for a neutered A or B license. - (Rowley)

Revere has an ordinance that allows the CLEO to issue a test for LTC's.

2.60.040 - Firearm permits.*

The chief may require an examination to be taken by applicants for a license to carry a pistol or revolver before granting such permit, in order to assist him to determine that the applicant is a suitable person to be so licensed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 140, Section 131 of the General Laws. The chief of police may charge for such examination a fee to be paid by such applicant, not in excess of the amount provided for in Table I of this revision, all of which fees are to be paid to the city.

(C.O.83-52 §§ 70 (part), 75 (part): prior revision § 15-4 (part))

Editor's note— *  As to licenses and permits generally, see Ch. 5.04 of this revision. As to discharging firearms, see § 9.24.010.

Watertown says the last safety course must be within 6-9 months of the application.

I applied in Revere today. Its been stated before, but once again.

Application
Drivers license
Birth certificate (original)
Safety course certificate
(2) utility bills from current revere address
(3) letters of reference from people you have known for 5+ years

First time applicant you get a neutered class A

I'm a first time applicant in Westport. In addition to the standard requirements, they ask for:

Letter from applicant explaining reasons (not simply ALP)
3 letters of refence from 'persons of impeccable moral character'

Other:
Appointment to drop off application

In Peabody, I need to set up an appointment and write a detailed letter stating my reasoning for wanting my LTC-A(Not necessary for LTC-B or FID)

In Peabody, I need to set up an appointment and write a detailed letter stating my reasoning for wanting my LTC-A(Not necessary for LTC-B or FID)

good luck, I had to do the same, asked for an upgrade to unrestricted ltcA, said no prob, paid my $100, got a neutered one, and the Det wont return my calls, or is coincidently "out" days I show up for almost a year now.

Yeah i wrote a good one, and even gave a long term peabody police officer and retired army general as references and still denied cause i dont own a biz, or blow the chief.

A friend of mine told me the Kingston chief asked him how many guns he plans to have and where they will be stored. Unbelievable.

He's not the only chief that asks that. You don't have to answer! My response was "it's not required by law and I'm not giving out that info" and that ended that discussion (and I'm not the only person who had that type of response either, and we all got LTC-A/None). However, the applicant must have a pair in order to do this and sadly I don't think that many do from what I've read here since we started this forum (the dress code in MA for applying for a LTC seems to be to wear knee-pads and bring some K-Y with you [sad] ).

In Woburn I needed three reference letters (prefered from in-state, family acceptable) and had to take a 20-question test about state law when I initially applied for a permit it ~2004. Ended up with a LTC-A "Issued For: Target and Hunting".

There is a ? next to Braintree on the first post of this thread, regrading gun club membership so I thought I'd confirm this:

I dropped off my packet this morning in Braintree. The licensing officer said that I needed a gun club membership in order for the process to move forward. If I don't show him proof in a timely manner (he said a few weeks), my application would get denied. I'm going to sign up at the MRA tomorrow! :-D

New Bedford:
Proof of citizenship (new app only): Birth Certificate or Passport
Proof of residency: Utility invoice, CC invoice, or voter/business registration
MSP Safety Course and/or MA Hunter Ed Course (new app only)
Letter to Police Chief: (new app & renewals): required for LTC for "reasons other than hunting & target"
Letter from Employer: IF applying "for purpose of employment"
2 references: contact info only
Employer contact info
Drivers License number
Parent's names (including mother's maiden name)
Patience,,, much patience. (Called for appt in October. Appt set for December 15th)

Back
Top Bottom