No love for bayonets?

M60

NES Member
I've seen threads here on NES about everything from soup to nuts, but can't recall ever seeing a thread regarding how anyone feels about having a bayonet on a dedicated home defense, preban rifle, or shotgun. Some may say that a bayonet is stupid to consider, but I'm thinking that those same people probable carry a blade of some sort in their pants pocket, while also carrying a handgun. I guess that my thought is, why not avail yourself of every self defense tool that you can in case of need. Rifles / shotguns can fail to function at an inopportune time but a bayonet, not so much. If the intruder doesn't happen to have a firearm the bayonet would surely keep the intruder at a safer distance. Would I rather have my rife or shotgun not malfunction? Of course. If it does, would I like another means of protection available on an immediate basis? Yes. The next thing that may be said is "dah", what about your handgun. Yes, of course I have a hand gun. Again, what I am asking is, what is you're position on having a fixed bayonet if the law allows you to have one on your home protection rifle, or shotgun? Do any of you keep a bayonet on your home defense rifle or shotgun? Do any of you wish you could have a bayonet on your home protection rifle or shotgun, but the laws of your home state wont allow you to because you have post ban rifles? Who thinks its a dumb idea to add a bayonet to your defense plan?

Last edited:
Yes. No question about the length possibly being an issue. Then again, it may just as easily be an asset. It would be nice if we could have a crystal ball issued with our bayonets. Thanks for weighing in. I was pretty certain that the length issue would be brought up.

Last edited:
yeah the length. I bought a carbine length AR just so it would have a short barrel for in-home use.

yeah the length. I bought a carbine length AR just so it would have a short barrel for in-home use.

Yes. I did also. Then I found a company in Oklahoma that makes the first bayonet that I've seen to fit a pre ban carbine. Actually, they make a heavy duty adapter that they affix to a rather pricy German made, AR 15/ M16 bayonet and sell the two as a package.

Depends on a house, in some there is enough to play polo, in mine I can easily hold Persian army going through main hallway.
A flip bayo like in most glorious SKS doesn't add length when you don't need it, but does when you do (like Barry being black) and it can hold a rabbis dog at bay without shooting it.

Who thinks its a dumb idea to add a bayonet to your defense plan?

I don't think it's a dumb idea, I just wouldn't bother doing it. I don't keep a long gun close to my bed for HD anyhow, I keep a 1911 with 8+1 hollowpoints.

One scenario where having a bayonet on your long gun might be a life-saver is if said gun jammed or misfired, and the attacker came at you with anything besides a gun. Then, you certainly have an advantage with the long blade at the muzzle end.

I don't think people question the practicality. It's the added length the makes indoor use problematic.

This, there is a reason why most police and military dont use them when clearing rooms. Though they normaly have a few dozen other support guys when somones weapon malfunctions.

I miss the G.R.A.D. 22 I wish someone could figure out a way to make them again with out the AOW crap. Evidently you CAN buy one new if you have a few thousand sitting arround and can get the ATF to authorise it. Might be more usefull in a 9mm though...

Useless invention for the day... a Bayonet that holds 3 or 4 5.56 rounds (or 7.62 for the AK version) and a diringer lenth barrel. Wont have much power but more then enough for knife fighting distance... maybe have a 'less leathal' version with a flare in it to confuse the F out of whoever you have to use it on...

Bayonet was never meant as an offensive weapon. It could hold off horses and hippies and make your enemy shit his pants seeing a pack of angry comrades charging, but not clearing rooms. PPSh was never used with bayos, but primarily to clear rooms aft grenade.

Bayonet was never meant as an offensive weapon. It could hold off horses and hippies and make your enemy shit his pants seeing a pack of angry comrades charging, but not clearing rooms. PPSh was never used with bayos, but primarily to clear rooms aft grenade.

So a grenade would be preferred over a bayonet, right?

I have a nasty, pointy, muzzle brake that would probably do as much damage as a bayonet.

Looks kinda like this:

31K39YroQwL.jpg

Last edited:
So a grenade would be preferred over a bayonet, right?
I was commenting on how Soviets cleared rooms in wwii, throw grenade, spray with ppsh, it was really effective, no bayonets, that tells you something about bayo offensive use.

Of course the down side is room is ****ed and you most likely will be raping a corpse now. Def not for home defense.

I think Frenchman summed it up, and then too, there is the question of training. How many people have actually trained with the bayonet? Not too many civilians, I dare say.

My response, while a bit over simplified, can be summarized by saying that I find the bayonet to be a bit like a trigger. The only difference being, that instead of pointing and pulling the trigger, you point and push with the bayonet. Parrying and slashing and such I agree might take a bit more training for the average guy, but I believe that the vertical but stroke probably comes more naturally to most .

Looks like I'm the only poster so far that regularly keeps a bayonet on a home defense gun. Length hasn't been an issue, quite frankly, but I have nowhere to mount my light/laser combo so I'm using a headlamp instead.

G17_laserlyte_bayonet_1080_edited_web.jpg

i have heard that they also screw up long range accuracy. Since i do not know if i will be sweeping my house, or on the outside lawn taking long shots, that is a concern. I think a more practical alternative would be a long knife to use as backup if your rifle jams, OR a revolver too. You just need to plan ahead to have something to hold the knife/revolver/flashlight when you are in your jammies!

One thing i DO know is useful on your home defense rifle...tritium sites so you can aim in a dark room

Depends on a house, in some there is enough to play polo, in mine I can easily hold Persian army going through main hallway.
A flip bayo like in most glorious SKS doesn't add length when you don't need it, but does when you do (like Barry being black) and it can hold a rabbis dog at bay without shooting it.

What did the Rabbi do to you?!

i have heard that they also screw up long range accuracy. Since i do not know if i will be sweeping my house, or on the outside lawn taking long shots, that is a concern. I think a more practical alternative would be a long knife to use as backup if your rifle jams, OR a revolver too. You just need to plan ahead to have something to hold the knife/revolver/flashlight when you are in your jammies!

One thing i DO know is useful on your home defense rifle...tritium sites so you can aim in a dark room

You couldn't be more right. I've made it a point to have tritium, lasers and lights on everything that I may use to protect home and hearth, with one exception I regret having to say. I've done nothing in this area for the shotguns. Thanks for pointing this out. I guess that I thought that the buckshot might help in the aiming part, If I do my part. I'm thinking that I should rethink the shotgun scenario now.

You couldn't be more right. I've made it a point to have tritium, lasers and lights on everything that I may use to protect home and hearth, with one exception I regret having to say. I've done nothing in this area for the shotguns. Thanks for pointing this out. I guess that I thought that the buckshot might help in the aiming part, If I do my part. I'm thinking that I should rethink the shotgun scenario now.

I don't want to derail this thread but I have a question relating to what you and Spanz are talking about?
MY HD gun has a light mounted on it.
I don't fully understand the night sight thing because I still won't be able to see my target, just my sights. With a dedicated flashlight I can see both my sights and target. SO can someone explain to me why being able to see my sights in a pitch black room is beneficial? I don't know wtf I'm shooting at....I know I'm missing something though........

SO can someone explain to me why being able to see my sights in a pitch black room is beneficial?

It's beneficial if you are absolutely certain that the person you are aiming at is not a loved one/ family member/ friendly. If you are not positive that they are an intruder, then yes a flashlight would be a much better way of identifying your target. [wink]

Can't think of a situation with modern weapons, mag capacities, and common engagements as a civilian, where it would make sense. Couldn't pay me to add 6-12" to my gun's OAL when I could carry a knife or install a readymag on my gun to quickly get more ammo in it.

1) the added length is a huge issue while in your home.

2) M4 sucks as a platform for a bayonet.

3) 30 round magazine and you think you'll need a bayonet against a home invader? Seriously?

Last edited:
I don't see the point.

Anyone close enough to stab with the bayonet would already be shot before he GOT that close, either with the rifle to which the bayonet is attached, or with a sidearm.

What am I missing?

I don't see the point.

Anyone close enough to stab with the bayonet would already be shot before he GOT that close, either with the rifle to which the bayonet is attached, or with a sidearm.

What am I missing?
Fruity caliber jams and it takes time to pull your sidearm out.

Humans can be very quick to move, especially if they are close. 7-5 yards can be covered under a sec, can you drop your rifle, pull sidearm and shoot that fast?

It's going to be hard enough defending yourself in court because you shot someone in your home let alone trying to explain why you had a bayonet on the rifle.

I don't want to derail this thread but I have a question relating to what you and Spanz are talking about?
MY HD gun has a light mounted on it.
I don't fully understand the night sight thing because I still won't be able to see my target, just my sights. With a dedicated flashlight I can see both my sights and target. SO can someone explain to me why being able to see my sights in a pitch black room is beneficial? I don't know wtf I'm shooting at....I know I'm missing something though........

I've found that in my home, in most scenarios, very few places are completely dark, most of the night. If like me, you live alone, except when the blonde is here, for the most part I have no loved ones to be concerned about. If someone appears in my bedroom doorway at night, I can make out the difference between the blonde and a bad guy. Either way, there can always be conditions which can make sense to have night sights. In the same vein, there can always be conditions in which it doesn't make good sense to have an attached light turned to constant on. The benefit of a laser speaks for itself. I guess that my thought is that it's better to have an aid and not need it than it is to need an aid and not have it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's going to be hard enough defending yourself in court because you shot someone in your home let alone trying to explain why you had a bayonet on the rifle.

If that's true wouldn't it apply to the pocket knife that you carry along with your handgun as well?

Back
Top Bottom