Nightforce NXS vs. Leupold Mk 4. Is there really a difference, besides price?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have no experience with Nightforce, but I do have a couple of Leupold VX-III scopes that have been rock solid. As I continue my search for a scope for my 308 AR, I've narrowed my search down to these two scopes. The Nightforce NXS series is several hundred dollars more then a similiar Leupold.

I'm wondering from people who know, whats the real difference is between the two. Other then price that is.

Scopes I'm looking at:

Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x40 LR/T M1 Illum Mil Dot or Tactical Milling
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 Mil Dot or Velocity

I was thining about the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 in NP-R1, but that puts the pricing into a whole new ballpark.

All I have to say about either of those...
homer+drool+2.gif

ETA: But to be more helpful, I have looked at both of those in the past and most of the differences seem to be cosmetic. Leupold is a known quantity for me from a quality perspective so I would go there first. The Mk IV went on to my wishlist.

Last edited:
having owned both I will just say once I started running a nightforce I wont go back to leupold. Dont get me wrong I owned 3 Leupold Mk4's and still have one on my mk12 mod0 but even that leupold is going to get replaced with a 2.5-10 nightforce pretty soon. Spend the extra dough on the Nightforce you will just end up doing it later

Leupold is a known quantity for me from a quality perspective so I would go there first.

Nightforce and Leupold both have excellent glass. Nightforce is higher end and more ruggedly built.

Brand familiarity sometimes excludes the real high end stuff. Tell most people "I'll give you a top of the line digital camera from Cannon, Nikon or Leaf" and you probably will find most people would pick the Nikon or Cannon because that is what they are familiar with and they know it's high quality.

Before you decide, check out the new Mark AR line from Leupold. New models designed specifically for the AR platform.

Back
Top Bottom