• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next purchase...

I am already looking towards my next purchase, I think I know what I need...I mean want...

.22LR riffle is the direction I am leaning. Navy Moose did a good job of talking me into a .223 AR-15 and getting the .22 conversion slide, etc so I would have the best of both. I love that idea and cant explain how much I would love an AR. Bottom line is its a lot of dough, more than I think I can afford right now and for the near future. My research tells me I am looking at $1,200 to $1,500 for that setup. For nothing to fancy either.

So I look to the true .22, prices are much more reasonable and feasable now or soon. I see two top performers in the group, Ruger 10/22 and the M&P 15-22. Ruger is classic, super accurate and cheaper, $200-$300. M&P is fun, awesome gun to shoot and AR style. Pricer though at $400 to $500.

So I am hoping I can here from people with one or both and get their thoughts or suggestions on something else. I have not shot either one, but research tells me the Ruger is more sniper'ish and the M&P is more assult riffle like. I see there are a ton of things you can do to the ruger to make it more tacticle'ish and such. I like the idea of something very accurate and just plain fun to shoot.

Both have tons of options, high cap mags and drums, I am seriously having a terrible time deciding.

I have the M&P 15-22 and I can not say anything bad about it, my 11 year old son love shooting with it and is very accurate too.

Last edited:
I got a buddy with the Mossberg Plinkster I think it is called. Seems like a cheap POS, so I think either will be better. I guess I am just having a hard time seeing why spending the extra money on the M&P is worth it. I like that they offer a threaded barrel model, but that looks like its $700, so getting out of the price range. I have the M&P .22 handgun, having a suppressor for both would be pretty awesome. Not sure if the Ruger has that option or not.

I bought a 10/22 TD and am glad I did. Great, accurate, cheap little rifle. That being said, I am also buying a Henry Golden Boy. More money, but fun as hell to shoot.

I have the S&W M&P15-22. Great gun and fun to shoot. I will go to the range and put 500 rounds down range and still have a smile on my face.

I got a buddy with the Mossberg Plinkster I think it is called. Seems like a cheap POS, so I think either will be better. I guess I am just having a hard time seeing why spending the extra money on the M&P is worth it. I like that they offer a threaded barrel model, but that looks like its $700, so getting out of the price range. I have the M&P .22 handgun, having a suppressor for both would be pretty awesome. Not sure if the Ruger has that option or not.

Nowhere near $700. I have the M&P Magpul edition (which has the threaded barrel and the Magpul furniture) and I paid under $500 for it. Just checked Davidson's and you can order it today for $492 (at least from dealers up here in NH).

I got the plain old 10/22 carbine with a wood stock from 4 seasons for $250 (including scope and cheap soft case... 200 without). It seems like the quintessential .22 rifle. I'm super happy with it, can't think of anything I would add or change about it, and can't beat the price...

The 15-22 is nice because it might make more of your .22 shooting experience transfer over to your 5.56/223 shooting, but it is more expensive and people will likely make fun of you for having a tacticool .22.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Last edited:
How do any of the aforementioned rifles compare with Browning's SA 22? I have also been shopping around for a nice little rifle, and am trying to decide between Ruger's 10/22, and the Browning... both are takedown models, which is nice... but not a dealbreaker if there's something out there better.

Nowhere near $700. I have the M&P Magpul edition (which has the threaded barrel and the Magpul furniture) and I paid under $500 for it. Just checked Davidson's and you can order it today for $492 (at least from dealers up here in NH).

What else does the magpul sport? The S&W website is does not have a great decrpition, but $500 is not a bad price for the threaded barrel. Do you have a suppresor as well?

I got the plain old 10/22 carbine with a wood stock from 4 seasons for $250 (including scope and cheap soft case... 200 without). It seems like the quintessential .22 rifle. I'm super happy with it, can't think of anything I would add or change about it...

Not even a Volquartzen (sp?) trigger?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I'd go with the Ruger 10/22 for a first gun if you are looking at .22's to begin with. They are cheap enough. They are readily available and you can buy tons of accessories to make it better as you want. You can also install everything yourself. They are one of the easiest modern rifles to work on. They shoot well stock, but you can buy a new target barrel later and swap it out with tools you should already have (a screw driver and allen wrenches).

If you want an AR looking .22 there are plenty of options out there, but personally I'd steer away from the Mossberg one. I've checked them out and I didn't like them. You can't say I'm biases because I own plenty of Mossberg 22's. I've been looking at the M&P, but there are other guns I wan't and I already have a .22 upper for my AR.

So I have been doing a little digging locally to see what the 10/22 go for and they range like crazy from store to store and then each store has a ton of different models.

Gun and Sport in Salem said he has some on backorder and when he gets them in they would go for $220 ish, plain jane model.

Pelham firearms has them right no, but the RB model which I guess it the cheapest model is going for $269, black synthetic basic model $299, then up from there. They have a used 10/22 carbine for $279.

For what I got out of Pelham, there are a ton of models. Anyone actually know any of the difference between all the models? What makes the used 10/22 carbine more expensive than the 10/22 RB model brand new? How can buying a .22 be this complicated, it makes me scared to even contemplate an AR or something real.

Okay, did some more research on Ruger's website. Looks like the RB model is the woodstock plain jane and the RPF is the plain jane with the black sythetic stock. This is the Carbine model.

So now I need to call Pelham Firearms back and find out why they charge $30 more for the new black synthetic stock and why the used Carbine model is $10 more than the new woodstock model.

Ruger's suggested retail on both is $277 I think, so not sure why one is more than the other, unless the black stock is more popular.

2012-08-02_19-53-01_844.jpg 2012-08-02_19-52-46_424.jpg 2012-08-02_19-53-40_819.jpg

Well I couldn't wait. I found one for a good price at Sports Authority here in Salem. Had a BSA optic from a GAMO pellet gun that I threw on to try. Can't wait to try it tomorrow, bought the butler creek 25 round magazine too, although the amazon reviews make me think that might have been a mistake.

View attachment 36549View attachment 36550View attachment 36548

Well I couldn't wait. I found one for a good price at Sports Authority here in Salem. Had a BSA optic from a GAMO pellet gun that I threw on to try. Can't wait to try it tomorrow, bought the butler creek 25 round magazine too, although the amazon reviews make me think that might have been a mistake.

Nice, looks good. I would highly recommend doing the auto bolt release mod. Takes about 5 mins with a dremel and makes the gun much easier to use at the range.

return it, get the real ruger 25 round mag

They said I had 30 days to return it if I did not like it. I will try it this weekend then retuen it when I buy the real one online and it is on the way.

Any experience with the drum mags or real high cap? Not sure why but 100 rounds sounds fun haha

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, looks good. I would highly recommend doing the auto bolt release mod. Takes about 5 mins with a dremel and makes the gun much easier to use at the range.

I will check this out on youtube. Watched them, def real easy. I also stumbled across something about breaking in the barrel.

This is my first riffle, I know it is just a .22 but djoes it require breaking in? If so how? The video I saw was talking about shoot 1 round, clean it, shoot one round, clean it. Up to 20 rounds, then do the same in groups of 10 rounds until you hit 100. Then do it in groups of 20 up to 200 rounds. Then completly break down amd clean.

Is that really tequired and will it actually make the gun more accurate and last longer? Seems extream...

Last edited:
That sounds nuts. I think I took mine home, inspected it, gave it a quick cleaning and brought it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it. I have the standard taper barrel and it is pretty damn accurate. I would rather spend the money in a nice bull barrel than go through that break-in process.

Back
Top Bottom