News! Cabela's closing stores January 1st with sale to Bass Pro on Nov 9th.

But they are the best clothier around when it comes to preparing for a hunt.

I went into the Hartford store at 11:30, immediately found a woman who helped me select 4 pairs of upland pants. They hemmed them for me, no charge, while I got a burger in the cafeteria. I picked up and retried on the pants 45 minutes after I gave them to the woman for alterations.

You can not get that ANYWHERE ELSE. I wish there was a mom and pop store that did that, but there isn't. The only alternative is to buy on the internet and deal with alterations yourself.

Don

Back when I was hunting, I got all of my hunting clothes and gear (except for the gun) from Cabelas. It sucks to see them sell out.

Everyone is assuming Bass Pro is going to shut down stores, or change Cabela's stores to be like Bass Pro - there's no evidence of that, it's just Cabela's employees speculating (understandably).

Everyone is assuming Bass Pro is going to shut down stores, or change Cabela's stores to be like Bass Pro - there's no evidence of that, it's just Cabela's employees speculating (understandably).

This. I haven't read into any details of this alleged deal, but if BP believes the Cabelas brand has value they may retain the name and stores. However I do think that no matter how the buyout is structured that their will be some form of consolidation in stores.

Would be a shame if they closed Berlin location. I am out of state now but I did frequent the Berlin store for ammo as they had good selection most of the time. Little more pricey but they had it. I like supporting my LGS, but they aren't much help if they don't have what I'm looking for.

Gander Mountain, Academy, Big 5, there are a lot of places that are better than BPS.

Almost anyplace is better than BP. Gun prices are astronomical, no deals, no bulk ammo (and 250 rd packs are NOT bulk!), sparse reloading supply depth, etc.

My dentist is an avid fly fisherman so we talked about BP when they first opened, he was thoroughly unempressed.

Not sure what BP is good for but I have a real hard time spending any money in there.

As for BP keeping Cabela's like it is, no chance in hell, that is not how buy-outs work. They may keep some products, some labels, etc. but they won't suddenly start carrying Herter's bulk ammo, increase the depth of reloading supplies, suddenly start selling C&R and surplus long guns, etc.

As for BP keeping Cabela's like it is, no chance in hell, that is not how buy-outs work. They may keep some products, some labels, etc. but they won't suddenly start carrying Herter's bulk ammo, increase the depth of reloading supplies, suddenly start selling C&R and surplus long guns, etc.

Why do you say that, Len? McDonald's didn't buy Chipotle and suddenly start selling double cheeseburgers. :)

I don't have anything against BPS per se. I just don't buy much there and I don't like there clothing as much. I find myself preferring Cabelas

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have anything against BPS per se. I just don't buy much there and I don't like there clothing as much. I find myself preferring Cabelas

I used to say the BPS was like Macy's for rednecks, but Cabelas was like Bloomingdale's for rednecks.

Why do you say that, Len? McDonald's didn't buy Chipotle and suddenly start selling double cheeseburgers. :)

Chipotle isn't a burger place. Thus the Big Mac expands the type of food they sell.

BPS and Cabela's both sell essentially the same sort of gear to the same sort of crowd, thus they are direct competitors just like Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club all compete with each other. So in that case, they will consolidate operations and drop lots of stuff that BPS would rather not sell.

Chipotle isn't a burger place. Thus the Big Mac expands the type of food they sell.

BPS and Cabela's both sell essentially the same sort of gear to the same sort of crowd, thus they are direct competitors just like Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club all compete with each other. So in that case, they will consolidate operations and drop lots of stuff that BPS would rather not sell.

Maybe, I think there's too many unknowns to say yet. Perhaps Cabela's has a much higher profit margin, BPS execs might think it's a better model than their own. It seems unlikely they'd buy it simply for the floor space, they could have bought anything, they could have bought Sears.

Here in East Hartford, there's a brand new BP going in Bridgeport, CT and you have the one on the South Shore. I doubt if they'll keep this one here. The other reason is that this Cabela's was build here and was supposed to spawn the growth of supporting businesses like restaurants and other stores. There's nothing at this time. Rumor had it that some type of agreement had finally been reached to begin construction but we haven't see it yet. When the developer gets wind of this buyout, I wonder if they'll be in such a hurry to be building next to yet another empty shell in January. I can' see BP staying here. I've been in a couple including the one in the Keys where they have one of Hemingway's boats you can climb on. If you're into fishing ocean or bass, great. I can't recall them having much of a supportive flyfishing section although it's been a while. And, to boot, CT isn't know as a fishing destination anyway. We had the bass tourney up here once but there were so many damaged boats because of the shallow river full of logs and such that most guys wouldn't come back.

Suppose BPS has an underperforming store, and there's now a Cabela's nearby that's a strong performer. They might close the BPS, they are businessmen after all.

Suppose BPS has an underperforming store, and there's now a Cabela's nearby that's a strong performer. They might close the BPS, they are businessmen after all.

They are only going to go forward with one brand. They aren't going to keep both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops running. Which individual stores they close is a different decision from what brand they are going to continue. Since it is Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's, my guess is that the Cabela's brand dies, the Bass Pro Shop brand lives.

So even if an individual Cabela's store isn't closed, it will be changed to be a Brass Pro Shops store, carrying Bass Pro Shops goods, not Cabela's goods. And the Cabela's branded clothing was quite good.

It is possible that even though Cabelas was a corporation the family had to raise money to pay of the inheritance cost after Dick died. Or, maybe the other family members just wanted to quit and retire. It is too bad as they had a good think going and had a sizeable following. My guess is the small gun shops will be in fat city once again as they move away from they used gun market. Boy the future sure looks muddy!

I'm probably giving BP way too much credit, but there's a chance that Cabelas offers them a shot at differentiation into a slightly higher end market- different customers, different price points, slightly higher margins, additional vendors...

This is an exaggeration [laugh] but consider BP for Joe & Josephine Sixpack's bass & catfish fishing plus deer hunting; and Cabelas for Biff and Buffy's trout fishing, upland bird and elk hunting. Sure, there will be consolidation but if BP wants a good return on their new investment they will use it as a vehicle to pull in customers from a broader spectrum than they do now with their current business model. Some market demographics will be a better fit for Cabelas, so I think they will keep many if not most stores.

Cue the "Who are you calling Biff and Buffy!" retorts; or "You dummy, Biff and Buffy shop at Orvis..."

Last edited:
I hope Berlin stays open in one form or another, but many buy-outs like this are for the sole purpose of killing off the competition. They may just shut down all but the most profitable, or strategically located stores.

But they are the best clothier around when it comes to preparing for a hunt.

I went into the Hartford store at 11:30, immediately found a woman who helped me select 4 pairs of upland pants. They hemmed them for me, no charge, while I got a burger in the cafeteria. I picked up and retried on the pants 45 minutes after I gave them to the woman for alterations.

You can not get that ANYWHERE ELSE. I wish there was a mom and pop store that did that, but there isn't. The only alternative is to buy on the internet and deal with alterations yourself.

Don

p.s. About the only thing I won't buy at Cabellas is a gun. Everything else is great.

completely agree. Best in class outfitter.

I'm probably giving BP way too much credit, but there's a chance that Cabelas offers them a shot at differentiation into a slightly higher end market- different customers, different price points, slightly higher margins, additional vendors...

This is an exaggeration [laugh] but consider BP for Joe & Josephine Sixpack's bass & catfish fishing plus deer hunting; and Cabelas for Biff and Buffy's trout fishing, upland bird and elk hunting. Sure, there will be consolidation but if BP wants a good return on their new investment they will use it as a vehicle to pull in customers from a broader spectrum than they do now with their current business model. Some market demographics will be a better fit for Cabelas, so I think they will keep many if not most stores.

Cue the "Who are you calling Biff and Buffy!" retorts; or "You dummy, Biff and Buffy shop at Orvis..."

Its not going to work that way dude. Bass Pro is eliminating their number 1 competitor. That means more people in their stores by default. Also BPS is buying Cabelas because they have the capital to do so. Which means they already have large margins and are thus not likely to abandon the business model that has brought them success.
Cabelas will become another BPS. It is the only logical outcome. To think otherwise is wishful thinking.

BPS hunting clothing sucks. Looks like I'll have to go with First Lite or Ice Breaker. It's expensive, but I pay for quality. Buy once cry once.

Cabelas has some of the best outdoor gear around.

Yup, I love hitting the one in Maine when I go up hunting. They aren't the cheapest but they have a great selection and pretty good quality on the Cabella's branded gear.

Hoping they don't re-brand them to BPS, if they do I probably won't stop in anymore.

There's a bunch of assumptions here, with little to back it up.

Still see K-Mart stores? Guess who owns that company. Sears does.

BP might consolidate Cabela's stores, closing some, turning the rest into Bass Pro stores.

But, the clientele that shop in each are totally different. Products carried are different too.

I see a strong possibility for BP to retain Cabela's pretty much as is, with a few changes. That's what Sears did with K-Mart.

It could go either way, but I can tell you, the upper management at BP are not fools. And, eliminating Cabela's would make them less money than retaining it as a subsidiary.

Let me put it this way. If BP got rid of Cabela's, they would have one less minor competitor. If they kept it, they would reduce sales to several other competitors (like Gander Mountain, among others).

There's a bunch of assumptions here, with little to back it up.

Still see K-Mart stores? Guess who owns that company. Sears does.

BP might consolidate Cabela's stores, closing some, turning the rest into Bass Pro stores.

But, the clientele that shop in each are totally different. Products carried are different too.

I see a strong possibility for BP to retain Cabela's pretty much as is, with a few changes. That's what Sears did with K-Mart.

It could go either way, but I can tell you, the upper management at BP are not fools. And, eliminating Cabela's would make them less money than retaining it as a subsidiary.

Let me put it this way. If BP got rid of Cabela's, they would have one less minor competitor. If they kept it, they would reduce sales to several other competitors (like Gander Mountain, among others).

+1 It would be like Dunkin Donuts buying Starbucks and converting all the stores to Dunkins. Sure, they just eliminated a competitor, but their new acquisition would rapidly lose value as all its customers find new pastures.

could be wishful thinking but I hope we're right.

In due time we'll see whose predictions become reality. Come back here in a year or two and revisit this thread. Meantime, watch for any super sales of stuff we can use.

Back
Top Bottom