• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

News! Cabela's closing stores January 1st with sale to Bass Pro on Nov 9th.

Personally I think it sucks. Hope they keep the Berlin store open. Selection of ammo, supplies, and firearms way better than Bass Pro.

Don't get me wrong, I like my LGS's and would shop at them every time if they had what I needed. However, when they say "we can order that for you" I think I will just order for myself. That's the attraction of Cabelas- local stock.

Cabela's is a clothier, more than anything else. I won't miss them.

^^this
too bad Dicks couldn't go belly up

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think it sucks. Hope they keep the Berlin store open. Selection of ammo, supplies, and firearms way better than Bass Pro.

Don't get me wrong, I like my LGS's and would shop at them every time if they had what I needed. However, when they say "we can order that for you" I think I will just order for myself. That's the attraction of Cabelas- local stock.

cabelas in berlin did have a nice selection of self defense ammo including buffalo bore and ?underwood if i recall, which is cool....however for general range ammo the place seemed stupid overpriced. perhaps this was cuz they had just opened but i haven't been back.

I seriously doubt that they will carry the bulk ammo that BP does NOT carry or the vast reloading supply selection. Say goodbye to the C&R/mil-surp rifles, it will all be the same as what BP now sells.

If Berlin survives, it will just be another BP, yuck!!

I stopped by the Cabelas in Berlin on the way back from the pumpkin shoot. I was impressed with the ammo selection and quantity they. Case lots for rifle and pistol calibers. The prices were high but some of it was hard to find locally and we all know how hard it is getting it shipped to Ma locations. Not a great shop but way better than BPS. Wish Cabelas was buying out BPS...

I stopped by the Cabelas in Berlin on the way back from the pumpkin shoot. I was impressed with the ammo selection and quantity they. Case lots for rifle and pistol calibers. The prices were high but some of it was hard to find locally and we all know how hard it is getting it shipped to Ma locations. Not a great shop but way better than BPS. Wish Cabelas was buying out BPS...

You and me both.

This is going to suck next year when i drive down through Hamburg PA I always stop @ the Cabelas there to stock up

Cabelas > bass pro

Having been to both, the quality and selection across all departments is better at cabelas. You may go to bass pro to check it out but you go back to cabelas.

Yeah it's nice to have a selection of ammo in hard to find calibers. Also they have a decent holster section. Hopefully they will have one of those hk 45s on super clearance

The Berlin store is like a half hour from Bass Pro right? You think they'd close it?

Berlin Cabela's became my go-to ammo place since they started putting $50 gift card on Ebay for $40, plus they often have "Spend $100 get $25" kind of deals. I've been getting XM193 cheaper than anywhere, even online.

Use up those Cabela's Credit Card Points guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no guarantee the program will stay as is or if at all. Cabela's has no expiration on points and a tiered system of 1%, 3% and 5% on in store.

Glad I snagged my safe when I did - I bet shipments/stock will drop off quite a bit to minimize inventory transfer.

The Berlin store is like a half hour from Bass Pro right? You think they'd close it?

You are correct and it is only 60 miles from Hooksett according to Microsoft Streets & Trips, so for sure it is likely to close.

Is this all Cabela's stores??? If it is that sucks.

It is a corporate buy-out, so all are affected.

Is this all Cabela's stores??? If it is that sucks.

well of course they won't close all stores, there'd be no point in buying the company. They might close stores that are too close to a Bass Pro.

Edit: I actually read the article, it doesn't say anything about closing stores, it's just people speculating.

BP is actually a much larger corporation than Cabela's by a long shot. BP generated 1.6 billion bucks last year and their flagship store in Springfield, MO is, get this......300,000 square feet. That'd 80,000 BIGGER than Hamburg PA Cabela's. How do you keep a store that big stocked??? To put that into perspective, a super WalMart is a paltry 187,000 square feet. BP is big no doubt.

Right now they're finishing up a 150,000 sq ft building in Bridgeport, CT and they have that one in MA. I can't see them opening one in East Hartford, may not make sense. Maine, otoh, I can see being as asset to both the company and the state.

Rome

Cabela's is a clothier, more than anything else. I won't miss them.

But they are the best clothier around when it comes to preparing for a hunt.

I went into the Hartford store at 11:30, immediately found a woman who helped me select 4 pairs of upland pants. They hemmed them for me, no charge, while I got a burger in the cafeteria. I picked up and retried on the pants 45 minutes after I gave them to the woman for alterations.

You can not get that ANYWHERE ELSE. I wish there was a mom and pop store that did that, but there isn't. The only alternative is to buy on the internet and deal with alterations yourself.

Don

p.s. About the only thing I won't buy at Cabellas is a gun. Everything else is great.

Gander Mountain would certainly be a better buyer than Bass Pro, as far as most of us are concerned. I've seen things in Gander Mountain that you never see in a Bass Pro.

Back
Top Bottom