New signs at Methuen state line

I remember the big mandatory 1 year (?) jail sentence signs they used to have at the borders along the major highways. Maybe when Dukakis was Governor?

I always wondered how many actually went to jail for the "mandatory" 1 year.

They botched the sign by using the term "carrying" which has a vastly broader definition under MA law that it does in common English or the laws of most other states. They should have simply said "possession" if they wanted to be accurate.

Awhile back I was eating lunch in Plaistow. Or so I thought until I noticed the menu had a Haverhill address. Who the hell knows where the border is, there’s literally a dozen restaurants there and I have no idea which are on which side.

It would be an interesting, if not audacious, experiment to straddle the line carrying a pistol on your belt on the NH side and the unarmed half of you on the Массачусетс side...
Once when I only had a Mass. learner's permit, only valid in-state,
I drove The Bride's '69 VW auto-shift on the Pike until the front wheels were in NY,
but the passenger compartment was still in MA, and then set the brake.

She Was Not Amused.

Yes, under Dukakis. When Ed King was governor after Dukakis, he had the "unfriendly" signs removed because it was bad for tourism.

Not all of them, or they went backup because I remember seeing them on 91 coming into MA from VTin at least the late 90s, possibly later.

There used to be four or five signs including the gunz’r’scary one. The others were pristine, but that one was absolutely RIDDLED with bullet holes ... bwahahahahaha

R

Back
Top Bottom